SFN Moderators Pick-em Challenge

Home Forums All StateFansNation SFN Moderators Pick-em Challenge

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

NC State +19.5 vs FSU – the words “rented” and mule come to mind on this one.

Clemson -14 vs UNC – if ECU can put up 70 on them I have to think Clemson can do the same. What scares me is Jackwolf picked this one also and he is the only person with a worse record than I.

Duke (+7) at Miami – the “U” has turned into the “U-G-L-Y”

Texas A&M (-8.5) vs. Arkansas – I have a simple rule whether it is Kansas or ArKansas always vote against em.

Wisconsin – 31 vs USF – this seems like a no brainer to me. If USF struggled against OUR defense well… My only concern is the jackwolf factor.

ruffles31
    Keymaster

First, BJD – I think I went 4-1 last week, not 3-2.

Here are my 5 picks for the week:

Florida State (-19.5) at NC State – While I have seen vast improvement in the first four games for the Pack, unless Jameis goes Jameis before Saturday and gets suspended again, I think the Pack will stay close for a long time but the overall elite talent and depth will win out.

Baylor (-21) at Iowa State. – Baylor’s offense. Need I say more.

Texas (-13.5) at Kansas – Kansas may be the worst Power 5 school. They are Duke, circa the pre-Cutcliffe years.

Wisconsin (-33) vs. South Florida – Another no brainer. Unless Coach Anderson gives Gordon the week off from running the ball.

Auburn (-33) vs. Louisiana Tech – For an analysis, see Baylor’s analysis.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Missouri (+5) @South Carolina

Florida State (-19.5) @NC State

Iowa (-10) @Purdue

Mid Tenn (+3) @Old Dominion

La. Tech (+33) @Auburn

LRM
    Keymaster

Florida State (-18.5) at State

Tennessee at Georgia (-17)

Northwestern at Penn State (-9.5)

Minnesota at Michigan (-11.5)

Arkansas at Texas A&M (-10)

BJD95
    Keymaster

First, BJD – I think I went 4-1 last week, not 3-2.

Fixed. Christ, am I stupid.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Bruins hang 62 on the Sun Devil juggernaut (in Tempe for f-ck’s sake!!!), a point total HWSNBN would be proud of.
    I opted not to pick GASo to whup up on Appy….which of course they did.
    FU Thursday games. I give up.

MP
    Participant

Markert correction or not, somebody with big money has more confidence in State’s D than the SFN concensus. O/U at 58.

Florida State (-19.5) @NC State

The combo predicts FSU 39 / NCSU 19… I guess “holding FSU to less than 6 TD’s” could be considered good…

But we shall see!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Still a little purple monkey dishwasher from my 1-4 weekend, so Comrade BJD will update summary table later. Picks!

Mississippi State (-1.5) vs. Texas A&M

The Aggies have been living rather close to the edge, and since I think both the Cowbells and Johnny Reb are legitimately good…this is the week they fall off, Coyote chasing Roadrunner style. Meep meep!

Ole Miss (+6) vs. Alabama

Speaking of Johnny Reb, I wouldn’t be surprised if they won outright, maybe even by double digits. Bama is vulnerable to a big play defense like this. If Ole Miss loses, I bet it’s by a heartbreaking late FG.

Auburn (-8) vs. LSU

Tis a great day for SEC West action, and although I expect the Mad Hatters will be energized by a QB change, Auburn will pull away late on the Plains.

Notre Dame (+2) vs. Stanford

The only team that hasn’t let me down this year is the hated Irish. For the life of me, I can’t understand why they are a home dog to a pretty average Stanford team. If ND can stay out of its own way, they should win easily.

Clemson (-14.5) vs. NC State

What goes up must come down. NC State is due for a dud game, and/or I just don’t want to jinx the pack by picking them, even if only to cover. DO NOT like the extra half-point, though Clemson was clever working around it last week. Final score – Clemson 42, NC State 27.

Wufpacker
    Participant

BJD, if not for the Pack covering, I too would have been 1-4. And for at least one week I won’t have a losing record before Saturday kicks off, as I have tossed the Thursday game monkey off my back. Screw you Thursday games.

Tejas A&M(+1.5) at Miss St – I’m still kinda ticked off at the Bulldogs screwing me over in the UAB game pick a few weeks ago. aTm has been lacking at times. The coin flip says Go Aggies.

East Carolina(-40) vs SMU – At first glance, this line looks too huge to touch. But ECU is trying to make statements to position themselves for big boy bowls, and SMU is beyond dumpster fire-ish (They’re winless and have lost by an AVERAGE score of 50-3).

Oklahoma(-5) at TCU – TCU is good, and they still will be even after dropping this one at home by 1.5 touchdowns.

Wisconsin(-8) at Northwestern – I’m thinking (hoping) that last week’s performance by Northwestern was an aberration. One might even say (but I wouldn’t of course) that the Wildcats shot their load at Team Bad Touch.

Clemson(-14.5) vs NC State – Yes, after going toe to toe with FSU last week, the Pack appears to be for real-ish. However, let’s not get crazy and forget that this is a road game against a very good team, the week after a physically and emotionally draining game. I think that before the season is over, State will have collected a few (maybe more) ACC wins. This just won’t be one of them.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

North Texas (+13.5) @Indiana

Pittsburgh (+6) @Virginia Maybe if I start picking them they’ll start losing?

Nebraska (+7.5) @Michigan State

Alabama (-6) @Ole Miss

NC State (+14.5) @Clemson Clemson will be the best, by far, defense State will play all season. Add on top of it Dabo wisened-up and put down the warm Stoudt in favor of the cool Freshman. A lot of people will say Watson can’t duplicate what he did against UNC when playing State but really, UNC and State have the same horrible defense. This is also a road game that isn’t being played in Tampa with no one there; it’s in Death Valley with a hostel crowd. All signs point to less scoring by the Pack than against FSU and equal amounts of scoring by Clemson as FSU did against State. The number of TO’s will dictate just how much above the line Clemson will finish.

LRM
    Keymaster

State at Clemson (-14.5)

Arizona at Oregon (-23.5)

Ohio State (-8.5) at Maryland

Texas A&M at Miss St (-2.5)

Alabama (-6) at Ole Miss

Anyone gonna update results through last week?

JackWolf
    Keymaster

Wisc -8 vs Northwestern
    Ole Miss +6 vs Bama
    Clemson -14.5 vs NC State
    Cuse +2.5 vs Lville
    ECU -40 vs SMU

and for fun
    Va Tech -1.5 vs UNC

ruffles31
    Keymaster

ECU (-40) vs. SMU – SMU’s only touchdown in 4 games was a hail mary on the last play of the game against North Texas. June Jones is no longer their coach. If Carden plays 3 quarters, it should be 84-0. So, I think Carden and Hardy play the first half, leave up 42-0 and then the second team keeps the score big enough for another cover.

Tennessee (-2.5) vs. Florida – Florida has won the last 9 games of a rivalry that used to be the biggest game not only in the SEC but maybe the nation. Now, one team is about to lose a coach (Florida) and the other team hit rock bottom and is working #BrickByBrick to make the Vols prominent again. This game is simple. The winning team has rushed for more yards each of the last 11 years. It doesn’t hurt either that Worley is a much better QB than Driskel. How did Driskel beat out Brissett????

BYU (-21) vs. Utah State – Utah State lost its best player, QB Chuckie Keeton this week for the rest of the year. They were struggling with him. Now, going to Provo with a backup QB, this game is now over before it began. The only question is by how much will BYU win?

Stanford (-2) at Notre Dame – One of, if not, the best defense in the country invades South Bend. Golson has been really good this year, but this team is overrated. Their best win is Michigan. We all know the dumpster fire there. I just don’t see the luck of the Irish or the Gipper or Rudy pulling out a victory on Saturday. Plus, I went to a Stanford at Notre Dame game 14 years ago. It is time for Stanford to exact some revenge for that loss.

NC State (+14.5) at Clemson – Last week was not a fluke, although the road crowd will be slightly louder than it was at South Florida for the offense to deal with. Watson is going to be good, but so far he played against FSU and was a freshman QB. He played well against UNC, but who hasn’t. This game will be decided by which defense, both of which can improve, tackles better in the open field.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Ruffles31: 14-10-1 (1-3-1)
    Wufpacker: 14-11 (2-3)
    LRM: 14-11 (2-3)
    BJD95: 13-12 (1-4)
    1.21 Jigawatts: 12-13 (1-4)
    Rick: 12-13 (1-4)
    JackWolf: 8-12 (2-3)

TobaccoRdShow: 3-2 (DNP)

BJD95
    Keymaster

As you can see, last week is SFN’s public service announcement of why you shouldn’t bet on sports.

MP
    Participant

Just curious, what are the standings solely based on NC State game picks…?

Rick
    Keymaster

ECU (-40) vs. SMU

Clemson(-14.5) vs NC State

Oklahoma(-5) at TCU

Texas A&M at Miss St (-2.5)

Ohio State (-8.5) at Maryland

BJD95
    Keymaster

Between 5-0 bookends, I am 8-12.

Just say no to gambling, kids.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Unless I’ve made a mistake in my math, I am now an underwhelming 15-15.
    Yeah, baby.

Fastback68
    Participant

Walter, The average Dude would kill to have a 60% success ratio. Just saying.

BJD95
    Keymaster

BJD95: 18-12 (5-0)
    1.21 Jigawatts: 16-14 (4-1)
    LRM: 16-14 (2-3)
    Wufpacker: 15-15 (1-4)
    Ruffles31: 14-15-1 (0-5)
    Rick: 14-16 (2-3)
    JackWolf: 10-15 (2-3)

TobaccoRdShow: 3-2 (DNP)

Capitalist decadence.

Fastback68
    Participant

Sometimes there’s a man, wal, he’s the man for his time n’place, he fits right in there, and that’s the DOG, in the Pick-em Challenge. So please, next year, extend an invitation to the man as my win rate has cratered to < 30%.

ruffles31
    Keymaster

One 0-5 week. From 1st place to 5th. Dang.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Week 7! I’m sick as a f-cking dog, but happy as a pig in shit to be back in Raleigh with my lines in hand.

Mississippi State (-2.5) vs. Auburn

Look, I understand the rationale. It’s hard to believe that the Cowbells are the best team in the land. But they are. I can see how people might expect State to relax after an emotional, blowout home win. But hey, didn’t Aubie just play one of those too? The best team shouldn’t be laying points at home to the third best team. Gambling 101. Psst – Dan Mullen is the better coach, too. It’s gonna sting when he tells UF to pound sand.

LSU (-1.5) at Florida

The Mad Hatters will be angry. REALLY angry. Backs squarely against the wall. That wouldn’t be enough against a powerhouse like one of the Mississippi schools (I just love typing that), but Florida is a shadow of even its Ron Zook era self. Chew on that wad of shit for awhile, Gator Nation. Florida has lived on the precipice of disaster all season, and they will fall head-first into the chasm this week. The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party will be hard to watch for all but the most hardcore/sick UGA fans (after this week’s abomination).

Penn State (+1) at Michigan

Even Will Muschamp is happy not to be Brady Hoke. I’m not sure how he will get out of the stadium alive when they lose again this week. I had told myself I was done trying to make sense of the completely irrational system that is B1G football, but Team Bad Touch’s loss to Northwestern no longer looks so bad, and Meeechigan shouldn’t be favored against anyone outside of the MAC.

Washington State (+17.5) at Stanford

A spread over 17 seems excessive for a team that resembles old school Army squads, doesn’t it? Especially after derping for barely 200 yards against Notre Dame last week (Side Note – I wouldn’t touch their game with the Holes with a 10-foot pole, nor will I watch a second of it – two teams that constantly shoot themselves in the foot, but one is still good and the other is bad, but has a decent game in them somewhere)? Especially after Wazzu has proven not to be a doormat, and is willing and able to put up video game numbers on anybody (just not winning)? All these factors made me pick a Pac-whatever game, and that league makes no more sense than the B1G.

NC State (-4) vs. Boston College

As you good people know, I have held off on the optimism train. It always seemed as if we were getting ahead of ourselves (and a reasonable schedule for Doeren’s program) more than a bit. Saved myself lots of bad feels when last week’s game predictably happened. But matchups matter, and this one is as good (BC is NOT a deep passing team, nor more than adequate defensively) as Clemson was bad. It’s nice to have a Saturday when all the hard work pays off in a tangible way, and that’s what you’re getting on 11 October. Yes, I’m one of those douchebags who has grown to prefer many European linguistic formulations. Final Score – NC State 37, Boston College 21

Oh, and Mr. Dog chose not to play with us because he doesn’t like our loose rules. He would certainly be winning, but he’s a Dog of principle. Not enough patience to splash around with the Politburo in the kiddie pool. I’m not even sure he believes in the glorious workers’ revolution!

JackWolf
    Keymaster

ECU -15 @ USF – USF is terrible, I hope they win but I think ECU wins by 20+
    UNC +17 @ Notre Dame – Again I hope they lose so apparently I’m going opposites of what I really want this week
    BC +4 at NC State – I dont feel good about playing a team rated in the top 10 in rushing offense.
    Baylor -9 vs TCU – Let down game for TCU
    Clemson -9.5 vs Lville – I just dont think Lville is that good.

For Fun
    Tamu beats Ol Miss
    Auburn beats Miss St

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 188 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.