Russell Wilson's Commencement Speech AKA Ramblings Of A Lunatic

Home Forums StateFans Football Russell Wilson's Commencement Speech AKA Ramblings Of A Lunatic

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

Holy Cow! Good old Russell has said some pretty outrageous things the past few years, and I was beginning to wonder if he had taken a few too many hits to the head. Well, I just read his Wisconsin commencement speech, and it removed all doubt. The guy has gone full loco. I don’t know how to link from my iPad, but the article is out there. Any respect I had for the guy is completely gone. Wow, just wow.

Gowolves
    Participant
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Yeah that’s raw. What if he’s right? Just sayin.

If he’s right then TOB has dementia. Why would you kick a QB off your college team just because they’re not going to play in the NFL. That’s just crazy talk. The kind of thing that starts with ‘True story bro….’ and DEFINITELY (didn’t) happen.

redisgood
    Participant

He also said he had 450-500 ABs in his freshman and sophomore years and was inexplicably benched in his junior year when he was draft eligible. The only records I can find says he had less than 150 ABs over those first two years. Maybe Wufpacker can confirm either way.

Gowolves
    Participant

Yeah that’s raw. What if he’s right? Just sayin.

If he’s right then TOB has dementia. Why would you kick a QB off your college team just because they’re not going to play in the NFL. That’s just crazy talk. The kind of thing that starts with ‘True story bro….’ and DEFINITELY (didn’t) happen.

For argument sakes, what would be his (Russell’s)incentive to lie? I mean I’m not saying you are wrong. What if fifty percent were true? Yeah the other fifty is a lie, at the same time we know coaches can think highly of themselves. We all know the personality of TOB. He is a ex-Marine. But we know that’s not true. Once a Marine always a Marine. There is no ex. TOB has no reason to lie either. Not saying he did, it’s not out of the possibility he said some of those things. He doesn’t mince words. It’s not a lie if you believe it to be true. TOB is not high on himself. He’s a marine and he doesn’t lack conviction. Would be surprised if he didn’t. This seems to be an arguement between two people who have a lot of respect for each other but that’s where it ends. Who gets the benefit of the doubt?

Gowolves
    Participant

EDIT: Would be surprised if he did.

Wufpacker
    Participant

He also said he had 450-500 ABs in his freshman and sophomore years and was inexplicably benched in his junior year when he was draft eligible. The only records I can find says he had less than 150 ABs over those first two years. Maybe Wufpacker can confirm either way.

You are correct, Sir.
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Russell-Wilson

redisgood
    Participant

Two weeks before the season, the coach called Russell in and said he was converting him to safety. Really? Two weeks before the season, there were three healthy QBs, senior Daniel Evans, true freshman Mike Glennon, and redshirt freshman Russell Wilson. The coach in an interview at the time said there were things Russell could bring to the position like his mobility. So it took Wilson going into TOB’s office and telling him he was going to be the starting QB and win multiple superbowls to convince O’Brien to not only not turn one of his three healthy QBs into a safety, but to make him the starting QB instead? I wonder what color the sky is on Russell’s planet.

Gowolves
    Participant

Maybe RW graduated first in the class of The Michael Jordon School of perceived knocks whether they are real or not. There is a difference and I don’t believe he is that stupid. So what’s his end game to completely make sh*t up. Can’t lie that quote regarding his AB’s is damaging.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Who gets the benefit of the doubt?

The one not known for saying crazy things publicly.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Seems RW may be a little off his rocker. A lot of the great ones are, honestly.

TheCOWDOG

TOB publicly said: ” I don’t know why he’d want to come back. He has nothing else to prove.”

That AB thing, though, is bit beyond the pale. Recall, however, Avent put him in the bullpen.

Tau837
    Participant

Some aspects of Wilson’s speech were bizarre, but that doesn’t change the fact that TOB made a bad decision. I thought so at the time, and I still do.

highstick
    Participant

I think he “ate too much cheese”…Wonder if that helped him hit a curve ball?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

LRM
    Keymaster

This was so weird, considering RW has gone on record with several variations of his departure over the years — none resembling this one.

For a guy so usually-calculated, this embellishment of the generally-accepted narrative sure seems like deliberate PR to advance his carefully-crafted image as the perpetual underdog who out works everyone else.

For someone who promotes himself as team first, the entire speech was about him.

StateRed44
    Participant

I didn’t see the speech at the link. RW is more successful than TOB tho, not even close. Winner gets the spoils.

TheCOWDOG

^ POV. Not necessarily your’s, them’s or mine.

Adventuroo
    Participant

The speech and his personal story is obviously off a bit. Maybe Brian Williams’ speech writer wrote it.

I personally would have emphasised the fact that it you keep trying to achieve, you usually have a better shot at success.

I would have emphasised that I was more successful at Wisconsin because it was a second chance. The coach had confidence in my ability. The team also shared that enthusiasm…..

Then I would have said that sometimes your second chance provides better circumstances…. Like having a REAL offensive line. Given the higher quality of the WI OL, with the chance to demonstrate my abilities, it was a Win/Win for both WI and myself.

Wulfpack
    Participant

For a guy so usually-calculated, this embellishment of the generally-accepted narrative sure seems like deliberate PR to advance his carefully-crafted image as the perpetual underdog who out works everyone else.

I definitely see it that way as well. Whatever the case, probably not the best thing to say. Just say people doubted you, underestimated you, told you you couldnt’t do it, etc., instead of casting stones.

Will be interesting to see if TOB lobs a grenade in reply.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Speech seemed sincere and inspirational to me. RW is a role model I would hope for my kids all day every day.. certainly better than Caitlyn Jenner, who I hear is in the running for ESPN’s come back player of the year award after reports he/she wants to become a man again.

Aeight
    Participant

A lot of you are forgetting the detail TOB went into in explaining what happened. The decision was totally Russell’s until TOB HAD to make a decision. Russell was playing pro ball as he had before but he always came back for spring football. That year he could not make a decision what he wanted to do. The door was open for his return but when TOB asked him if he was returning Russell could not give the coach an answer. Coach had to make a decision. He couldn’t be held hostage by a player that hadn’t decided if he wanted to return for one more year of football or try to make in pro baseball. When Russell could not give TOB an answer at that time, coach had to make a decision for the benefit of the entire team and not wait on one player. He then told Russell he was going with Glennon as the starter. When fall camp rolled around Russell decided he wanted to play his final year, but TOB told him the decision was made to start Glennon. This was known to Russell months earlier in the spring. Yes, coach could have welcomed Russell back as the starter but he had made the decision to play Glennon and coach was a man of integrity. He was not going to diss Glennon that way. That’s when Russell decided to look elsewhere. But in the spring the decision was totally Russell’s, so I don’t know where this crap came from in this story. They make it sound like he was just booted out. As it turned out Glennon was a heck of a QB but had little help. We are very proud of Russell as an NC State alum and player and he is a great rep for NC State. Very proud of his accomplishments and wish him great success.

choppack1
    Participant

I have no idea what was discussed between these 2 men…funny, I don’t think rw’s version is that off from the one we have heard…and what was evidently in TOB’s mind early on.

I think it’s the classic case of 2 guys doing what they believe is best for them. Hopefully, RW will do a better job of fact checking in his next speech, as these kind of embellishments can damage your credibility – and I believe that’s really important for him

Heelh8r
    Participant

Dude was under a lot of pressure to come up with an inspirational commencement speech. Can’t let pesky facts get in the way of that.

JeremyH
    Participant

For someone typically so well-measured and PC in remarks, this is a bit of a goof.

Tau837
    Participant

Russell was playing pro ball as he had before but he always came back for spring football.

Wilson never played pro ball before the summer of 2010. (He was drafted by the Rockies on June 8, 2010.) Also, he missed spring football in 2010. I assume he also missed most/all of it in 2008 and 2009.

So this was TOB being inconsistent in how he handled this issue. Strictly on the merits of the value of Wilson and spring football, it doesn’t really make sense that TOB allowed it in prior years and then chose spring football before Wilson’s 5th season at State to be a dealbreaker. Obviously, he didn’t make that decision strictly on the merits of Wilson and spring football, he made it to guarantee himself two years of Glennon.

While I didn’t agree with it, the decision is understandable on its merits.

But in the spring the decision was totally Russell’s

How do you define “spring” here? TOB released Wilson from his scholarship in April 2011. I think of April as being part of the spring.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.