Rodon and ChiSox vs. the Cardinals

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports Rodon and ChiSox vs. the Cardinals

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Just checking the Cards schedule and saw that Carlos will start on Tuesday against Carlos Martinez and the Cardinals. Tough draw for Rodon against a very good pitcher and the MLB’s best team, but at least it’s a home game for Chicago. Hopefully I’ll get this one on my Boston station.

Go Carlos! 🙂

(covers all my bases)

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Carlos is going to be a legit ace in a couple of years so long as I don’t bear witness. I’ve got the MLB package but I’m not sure if I should watch him anymore since both times I’ve tuned in to see him toss he’s gotten absolutely shelled. Otherwise he’s been more than solid for a rook besides his walk count.

Nah I’ll probably watch it if I remember.. small sample size, right? Besides, I hate the Cards but they ARE fun to watch.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

For what it’s worth, tonight, Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Nathan Karns threw a one hit shutout and was the winning pitcher after he hit a third inning solo home run to win the game 1-0 against the efffin Phillies. In 2007 Nathan was known as Nate Karns, a freshman Wolfpack pitcher that went 3-2 with a 2.67 era in eight games started. He left the Pack to go to Texas Tech, and be closer to home after his freshman year. Karns has had an outstanding season this year. He was never expected to be in the starting rotation, and like Erasmo Ramirez, the two have kept the Rays in the AL East race. God bless Nathan Karns and God bless the Wolfpack….

Wufpacker
    Participant

I knew that name sounded familiar. If I wasn’t mired in despondency over the fact that the Orioles seem to be mired in despondency, I might have even had the motivation to investigate the matter.

Carlos will be fine, but he’s no Trea Turner 😉

MrPlywood
    Participant

The Cards hammered Carlos. I was at odds with this game. I’d have OK with a Rodon win since the Cards have games to spare 😉

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Love the kid but fastball command was a noticeable weakness at the collegiate level at times. When he worked ahead and spotted the fastball, he was dominant. When he didn’t and relied too much on the slider, he was very beatable against good competition. Having a good rookie year but the walks are still too high. The slider is such a wipeout pitch for him, and he’s so competitive, I wonder if he’ll ever learn to pitch to more contact..I just don’t see him as a power pitcher at that level.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Wufpacker, I don’t know what to make of your Orioles. It seems that my Rays are bailing water as quickly as possible in the same sinking boat. The Rays, I can understand. They are next to last in the AL in hitting with a paltry .238 average. The Rays have built a solid franchise around pitching and defense but have slipped badly in both areas, dropping to 5th in pitching (3.57) and 7th in fielding (.985). Your Birds are a head scratcher of sorts. They lead the AL in fielding (.988), are 5th in hitting (.256) and 7th in pitching (3.84).Yet the two teams sit together. What gives with the O’s, besides Chris “Crash” Davis” league leading 115 Ks and .238 average?

BJD95
    Keymaster

Wuf sent a great e-mail tribute to Ubaldo last week that he really should post here after today’s poopy diaper.

TheCOWDOG

He certainly did, Beej.
    I’ve been so black of heart, after the death of two good friends, in bang-bang fashion, that I forgot how much pleasure these kids playing in the Bigs this year bring.

MLB is on an upswing. Those guys can play. Right now,if one looks, you’re witnessing a new generation of ballplayers that may carry the game for the next 1/2 century.

The thing is, they play like old souls…more game and fundementals then I’ve witnessed in at least a decade.

Sh#t! Some of you will still be around!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Since you asked….

As background of sorts, Ubaldo and I had a difficult relationship last season after his acquisition, during which I essentially cursed him and his entire lineage.

So, early 2015 he was trying to get me to fall for his re-tooling so to speak, and take the curse off. But I would not be fooled.

The email in question was entitled “Ubaldo just trying to draw me in so he may later shatter my vulnerable psyche”, and read as follows….

After today’s 8.0 scoreless innings (7k, 0bb) he’s 7-3 and flirting with dropping his ERA to sub 3.0.
    But I will not be fooled by his fiery (LMAO) Latin persona. No Senor Jimenez, YOU MAY NOT YET HAVE MY HEART!!!!

Dude still seems borderline retarded to me quite frankly (apologies for the non-PC term…but his blank eyes just elicit that term in my mind.

As far as Os’ overall woes….there are many. Most right now are b/w the ears. One run games, esp on the road, are killing them. Not that that was a problem today.

Sadly, I have laid out considerable coin to go witness the atrocities live next week. Gotta hate those non-refundable reservations. I might just have to buy a big bag o’ weed and chill in the jacuzzi all week to recoup my layout.

Oy.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Just dawned on me that this is probably the email to which BJD was referring. I do love me some Ubaldo 😀

I want to love him…I really do.
    But he’s like that trouble-maker kid who just won’t let you love him.

And you know he’s probably not even really YOUR kid, I mean those eyes….nobody in your family ever had eyes that color.

So one night you get the sharpest knife in the kitchen and you sneak into his room. The voice in your head says don’t do it, he started the year out at 7-3 and you can learn to love him!!! The rest of the kids have been for shit this year too and….

But you know better. Every time he looks at you with those blank black eyes you KNOW he’s the antichrist and that it’s just a matter of time until you blood spills in the streets.

Or…maybe he’s just got a virus tonight.

Sent from iPad…please pardon any autocorrect nonsense.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Archer vs Tillman…at the Trop…any thoughts?

Wufpacker
    Participant

O’s have hit Archer pretty well, Tillman seems to have gotten out of his funk mostly.

Soooo….Rays 7-3 probably. 😀

Yes, I am in a very pessimistic phase, lol.

Wufpacker
    Participant

A 1 run road game currently (bottom 7th) has me nervous. Just saying.

And yeah, as I’m typing, Tillman plunks Beckham to put the potential tying run on with none away in the home 7th. Dammit.

EDIT – Machado starts a nifty 5-4-3 to end it. I’d grab him by those big ears of his and kiss him if I could.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Offensively, the Rays are benign..You’ve already covered…

Wufpacker
    Participant

Rut Roh….now Manny gets the chin music.
    This could get interesting.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Based on Rivera’s set up and body language when he saw where the pitch was going, I’m convinced that was not intentional.

Still woulda sucked if it caught him in the melon.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Chris Davis needs to up his adderal dose I think.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Grrrrrrrr.

Those lead off walks will kill ya every time.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Both teams have RISP problems..Rays were fortunate tonight…

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Machado ears….goodness…..thank your #stars..Crash needs the needle….and the damage done…

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Darren O’Day has owned the Rays for like 3 years. He finally messed up ….He’ll be fine…

Wufpacker
    Participant

I still want to see the O’Day/Joey Bats cage match.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

A MLB pet peeve of mine is that playing every team in your division 19 times creates boredom. Seventy-six games against the same four teams is too much. It is 47% of each team’s schedule. As a Rays fan, I’m sick and tired of watching the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Jays over and over ad nauseam. I would propose cutting it down to perhaps 12 games against division foes and administer the remaining 28 games either intra-league or inter-league.

Currently, every team plays 66 (41%) intra-league games against ten teams. That means each team gets one home and away series versus every non-divisional team in their league. It doesn’t allow many opportunities to see certain teams and players in person or while watching your favorite team on TV. Twenty inter-league games (12%) is nice, and I wouldn’t mind seeing that expanded. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Gowolves
    Participant

Rodon gets his first start of the season tonight against the A’s in Oakland. 10:05 is first pitch.

It states the game is on ESPN2 but how reliable that is I don’t know. It does say that’s the Bay area channel so who knows on the east coast.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.