Robert Crisp at NFL combine

Home Forums StateFans Football Robert Crisp at NFL combine

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Good news for Crisp. A great kid who probably has a good story to tell about the importance of staying in school through challenges and working on development.

Link

Former NC State offensive tackle Rob Crisp probably made himself some money at the NFL Combine by performing very well in the on-field tests on Friday in Indianapolis. After he officially measured in at 6-foot-7 and 301 pounds earlier in the week, he knocked out 26 repetitions at 225 pounds on the bench press.

That may have been the most important aspect for Crisp, whose strength was probably his most questioned trait by scouts heading into the event. The big man tied for 13th among the 53 offensive linemen who were invited on the bench, while his arm length of 34.5 inches is considered plenty long enough for an NFL left tackle. Unofficially, he tied for the eighth-longest arms among invited frontline protectors.

Crisp continued to help himself on Friday, when the big men underwent on-field testing and he finished among the top half of participants in every drill. The Burlington, N.C., native tied for the second-best vertical jump (32.5 inches) at his position, while he also ranked in the top 10 for 20-yard shuttle (ninth, 4.6 seconds) and broad jump (tied for 10th, 107 inches).

His 40-yard dash time of 5.26 seconds ranked 18th, while he tied for 23rd in the three-cone drill at 8.07 seconds. A full listing of Crisp’s combine performances are below, in addition to where he checked in among the leaders at his position:

Vertical jump: 32.5 inches (tied for 2nd of 53 invited linemen)
    Arm length: 34.5 inches (tied for 8th)
    20-yard shuttle: 4.6 seconds (9th)
    Broad jump: 107 inches (tied for 10th)
    Bench press: 26 reps (tied for 13th)
    40-yard dash: 5.26 seconds (18th)
    3-cone drill: 8.07 seconds (tied for 23rd)

SaccoV
    Participant

The quoted portion of the article mentions Crisp as a ‘Burlington’ native. He played HS football at Athens Drive. Am I reading this correctly?

Gowolves
    Participant

Saccov, yes that is correct. He transferred to Athens right before his senior year. I think his family moved. He and another kid from Athens committed to the Pack. I am not sure if the other kid ever enrolled at State. Crisp may have been living without this other kid’s family. I graduated from Athens so I kind of followed his career.

SaccoV
    Participant

Cool. Burlington isn’t exactly close by Athens Drive. Good for Crisp though. I hope he signs with the Panthers or the Dolphins, the two NFL teams I like who have an apparent neglect for State grads.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I moved the summer before 9th grade, and God knows I don’t consider the redneck pit of despair where I went to high school my hometown (and my non-accent backs up that my formative years were spent in Charlotte proper).

Denver needs OT depth, Crisp would look good in navy and mango. He’s athletic enough for a zone blocking scheme, I think.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

beej…. are we to conclude that you spent some time in the former “Sock Capital of the World”?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Gowolves
    Participant

Crisp transferred and was living with Pete Singer, a fellow teammate at Athens. Pete’s dad was Crisp’s legal guardian. Singer commmitted to the Pack but never ran with them. Crisp was a five star recruit and played in the Army all-american game. He has all the potential in the world. Injuries and coaching changes challanged him a lot. I am glad he stuck it out through the tough times. I hope he can catch on with a team that needs him.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Crisp is the kind of person you really, really enjoy rooting for. Hopefully, when he gets his name introduced at the Super Bowl, he won’t betray us like Steven Hauschka did. My heart is still broken.

Correct county, Bill. I went to high school at Gastonia Ashbrook, where the race relations were bad and the grammar even worse. Scarily enough, it was considered the “snob” high school by the rest of the county. Must have been some real Deliverance-caliber shit going down in the true boonies.

My parents left after my brother and sister finished high school, and I have only went back for my brother’s wedding (he married a local). As of that point in time, the town had not yet adopted my preferred slogan of “Where America Pees On The Way To Atlanta!”

MP
    Participant

^ Hey, at least Gastonia can claim to have an awesome fabric store (Mary Jo’s)! If you’re into that kind of thing…

They sell koozies that say “My Wife And My Money Went to Mary Jo’s”. One of my proudest possessions!

BJD95
    Keymaster

^ It was indeed the only thing my mom liked about it. My parents are both mountain folk (Asheville), but mom took a liking to city life like I did.

That’s still my dualism now – I’m only really comfortable in the anonymity of an urban area (though Raleigh and the inner ‘burbs are really big enough) or in the quiet ancestral spirit of the mountains. Or by the Pacific Ocean, which really makes no sense. Coastal Oregon is actually the best, because it’s basically the mountains, but with the Pacific Ocean added to the mix. Plus, nobody talks and everyone minds their own business. This is likely my ultimate recluse destination. Specifically, the tiny town of Yachats.

Gowolves
    Participant

Mountain folk, huh. Mine are from the Spruce Pine area. The current home of the spitter or now he may live in Williamston, NC.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I went to high school at Gastonia Ashbrook,

I didn’t know this. Is this the school that Worthy went to?

I went to Hickory High and we were in the same conference with a Gastonia school. Being the smallest school in the conference led to some sad seasons.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Yup. I wasted a year in journalism class, saw the yearbook from his senior year. There was a 1/2 page for the men’s BB team, then a full page titled “Worthy.”

The affiliations have changed, but I don’t recall being in the same conference with a Hickory school. Hunter Huss (Sleepy Floyd’s alma mater, for the ’82 connection) was the other one. Believe there’s a 3rd HS in the city limits now. Ashbrook was pretty big.

And man, was Gastonia a Wal-Mart Hole town if ever there was one. I assume even pre-Worthy, and pre-Wal-Mart. I thought Charlotte was hostile for a Pack fan, but it went from bad to worse.

Depending on time of day, we frequently couldn’t get the am feed of the CLT or Shelby Wolfpack radio network feeds there. I would travel from room to room with my boombox trying to tune in WPTF at a tolerable scratchy level.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

beej…

It’s a linthead thing…

Burlington NC (&& Alamance County)… home of Burlington Industries, Kayser Roth and Glen Raven mills ( where that guy invented panty hose ), the Holts and the Jordans, and 100 little mills that spun off of the big bosy, once advertised itself as “The Sock Capital of the World” with no objection from anyone.

Now Gastonia is a mill town too… not a whole lot different …

and yes, VaWolf … iirc… Worth graduated from Gastonia Ashbrook.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.