Rivers Throws For 503 in Loss to Packers

Home Forums StateFans Football Rivers Throws For 503 in Loss to Packers

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

GREEN BAY, Wis. — The Green Bay Packers stopped San Diego on fourth-and-goal from the 3 with 15 seconds left and overcame a career day by Philip Rivers to hold off the Chargers 27-20 on Sunday.

Rivers set career highs with 43 completions, 65 attempts and 503 yards passing. He threw for two touchdowns for the Chargers (2-4). But he needed one more completion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400791667

Wulfpack
    Participant

Oh my:

If you throw for 500 yards in a single game you should get rewarded with something. Like, I don’t know, a win maybe. Although the numbers are actually surprising: seven quarterbacks before Sunday threw for 500 passing yards and lost a game.

Against the Packers, Philip Rivers, with his 503 passing yards, became the eighth to hit the milestone and still not win. All told, Rivers finished tied with the 16th-most passing yards in a single game in NFL history (tying Ben Roethlisberger from 2009).

Here’s the real kicker, though. Rivers became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for 500 yards, not throw an interception and still lose the game. In other words, he did everything possible to help the Chargers win and just didn’t get enough help from his teammates.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

With his two touchdown passes yesterday Philip now has 264 career TD passes. That puts him at number 13 for career TD passes, just five behind #12 Eli Manning. Barring injury, Philip should be in the top 10 by season’s end. Currently, Vinny Testaverde is #10 with 275 TD passes. Besides Peyton Manning #1 (537), Tom Brady #4 (406) and Drew Brees #5 (403) who are all active and HOF locks, and Brett Favre #2 (508) Testaverde is the only QB in the top ten not to be elected to the Hall of Fame. Favre is eligible for the Hall in 2016 and is a certain first ballot shoo-in.

Not counting his first two years where he held a clipboard, and saw action in only two games, and not counting the current season, Philip has averaged 28 TD passes per season. He’s currently 33 years old, and assuming he plays 6 more complete seasons and maintains that average, he would finish with roughly 432 TD passes. That would be 12 more than Dan Marino #3 (420). Yes I know, Philip hasn’t won a Super Bowl, but neither did Marino, Tarkenton or Moon and they are all in the top ten and in the HOF. Philip still has time to get a Super Bowl, but regardless of whether or not he does, he appears to be a HOF lock. He gets my vote.

Wulfpack
    Participant

There are several HOF signal callers playing right now, and I agree Rivers ought to be one of them. I see these as near certain HOFers:

Brady
    P. Manning
    E. Manning
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Rivers

Potential HOFers:
    Roethlisberger
    Luck
    Ryan
    Wilson
    Newton

Wolfanatic
    Participant

I’m with you Wulfpack, 99% of the way..Newton might be a stretch, but time will tell…Ryan is 30 and has a 189…can’t argue any of the others…but I hope the best for Russell…

Adventuroo
    Participant

IT WAS A REMARKABLE weekend for NCSU FB…..the main headline, which I think I saw on WRAL, N&O and definitely The Daily Tarheel was….

NCSU, a Two TD Underdog Finally Defeats BYE in a Thriller on the Off Weekend. That about sums it up….

Cam Newton kept the drive alive with a nice gainer to Jericho (I played at NCSU) Cotchery. The Seattle Hawks fans also tried to help…..they pulled the fire alarms on the floors where the Cats were sleeping at 6:00 AM. No info as to whether the same fans paid the “ladies of the quickie” to knock on doors and offer their companion ship.

Russell has an even heavier cross to bare….after the Hawks lost ANOTHER one in Q4…..after coming in with the lead. Forget if this is 3 or 4….the talking heads droned on. BUT, they have NOT been able to close.

Even without two Thug-A-Letes, UNC figured out HOW to embarrass WF. They literally “Exorcised the Demon out of the Deacons”. The Deacons will come in with extra fire in their belly (and NOT from eating roast ram) and want to prove their manhood still exists….and can be aroused when provoked.

I really wish that UNC had gone down….so we have to play harder and smarter.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Philip Rivers to the Broncos. Never happen, but…

WolfInVolCountry
    Participant

@tj… could only hope, but he signed for big money so he is locked… Broncos screwed up and could have drafted RW… RW being mentored by Manning… what might have been

Wulfpack
    Participant

Never say never 🙂

Tau837
    Participant

There are several HOF signal callers playing right now, and I agree Rivers ought to be one of them. I see these as near certain HOFers:

Brady
    P. Manning
    E. Manning
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Rivers

Potential HOFers:
    Roethlisberger
    Luck
    Ryan
    Wilson
    Newton

I’d like to be wrong about this, but IMO Rivers has a lot of work to do to get into serious HOF consideration.

Everyone would agree that Peyton, Brady, and Brees are HOF locks, and Rivers’ career has directly and fully overlapped with their careers.

Given that Eli, Roethlisberger, and Rivers entered the league at the same time, it is a very natural comparison between them, and I expect that Roethlisberger and Eli are both well ahead of Rivers in the minds of the voters. First, both of them play in big/popular NFL markets on the East coast, whereas Rivers performs in relative obscurity (East coast media bias and all that). Second, Ben and Eli each have two Super Bowl championships, while Rivers has not been to the Super Bowl. I think the voters will be smart enough to recognize that Rivers has been better at playing QB, but they will ultimately decide that the championships trump the edge Rivers has in various metrics.

I assume everyone would agree that Rodgers has proven himself to be a better QB than Rivers (and just about everyone else) and will be a HOF lock.

So… as of today, I think there are at least 6 of Rivers’ peers ahead of him for HOF consideration.

The HOF currently has 23 QBs who were inducted in its modern era, which is defined as meaning the majority of the players’ careers happened in the 1950s or later. Favre and IMO Warner are set to join them, which will bring it to just 25 QBs inducted for 60+ years of football. It is not a low bar.

IMO HOF worthiness usually involves three main considerations: winning, especially in postseason; statistics; and honors/awards. Rivers should have compelling statistics, but that is only one of the three criteria. As of today, he would be judged to be lacking in both of the other two.

Rivers has never been 2nd team All Pro, much less 1st team; he has never won a major award, like MVP, OPOY, etc.; and he has not been to the Super Bowl and has a losing postseason record. I don’t believe there is a single QB in the HOF today or in the group of expected HOFers named above for whom all three of those things are true.

If Rivers wins a Super Bowl, I think it will put him over the top and he will get in, though it will probably take him a long time. If he doesn’t, it seems like a long shot for him to make it.

It would definitely help if he could carry his early season performance this year all the way through to the end of the season. Unfortunately, he won’t have a shot at MVP if the Chargers can’t turn around their record and make the playoffs, but maybe he could crack the All Pro team or even have a shot at OPOY.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.