Potential Basketball Transfer

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Potential Basketball Transfer

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

StateFans
    Keymaster

Kid is a center and has one year of eligibility remaining after he would have to sit out next season. So, he doesn’t help our depth problem this season. Would help our scholarship spacing and our potential experience & depth issue in the post if Abu blows up this season and turns pro.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Considering there are rumblings that Abu AND KH both plan to turn pro…very wise target.

redisgood
    Participant

We’re looking good to get Bam Adebayo, but it will still be great to add another big man. Especially since Bam is potentially a one and done player. This guy however could come with a price:

“A source said Obekpa didn’t want to be part of Chris Mullin’s program, in part because of the different manner in which it is being run, with stricter rules, more discipline and everyone being held accountable. Obekpa nearly transferred last season after receiving his release, but opted to change course and return.”

“He was suspended two exhibition games his sophomore year for violating university rules, and he was suspended for the NCAA Tournament last season after he tested positive for marijuana use, destroying the Johnnies’ hopes of a March run. He was also ejected from two games last season.”

He recently visited Minnesota, and Richard Pitino decided he wanted no part of the guy.

Hopefully Gott treads carefully here,

Tau837
    Participant

^I have full trust in Gott and our staff. I’m certain they are aware of the potential issues. Given that, if they decide to take him, I trust that they know what they are getting and are confident they can handle him.

He would give us two years of value. This year, his value would be in practice, since our current roster is short of quality bodies to scrimmage. Next year, he would be an experienced fifth year senior, who is known as a great defensive player. Best case is that we get Bam and still have all of Abu, Anya, and Freeman, and all of them stay healthy all season, in which case he probably wouldn’t play much but would still serve as valuable depth. And how likely is that best case, i.e., that we get Bam *and* that all of Abu, Anya, and Freeman are still on the team and all of them stay healthy? Heck, even in that case, who knows, maybe Freeman would redshirt.

It absolutely makes sense on every level to go after him provided the staff is comfortable with his attitude and ability to handle the situations I described here, i.e., potential for low minutes.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Caveat Emptor

YogiNC
    Participant

Just what we don’t need, a head case with an attitude and sense of entitlement.

Smarter than the average bear

redisgood
    Participant

Looks like Gott is taking a pass on this guy. Smart move in my opinion.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.