Philip Got Paid (Again)

Home Forums All StateFansNation Philip Got Paid (Again)

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

Neither. A prune.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Hee hee…

The judges would also have accepted “kumquat”.

Kumquat.

ryebread
    Participant

rthomas44: It seems like you and I view it the same way. It’s possible to like Rivers, but not think that was a wise contract move by SD. I’d say the same thing if they inked Eli or Rothlesberger to the same contract.

There are some narratives here that kind of jump to mind:
    – Rivers has been held back because of playing at SD. They have so many roster gaps that an aging QB isn’t going to fix them all.
    – Rivers may have inflated stats because he’s been surrounded by a bad team.
    – Rivers may have reduced stats because he hasn’t had good receivers.
    – For whatever reason, Rivers hasn’t been able to put them over the hump. Some years they’ve not even made the playoffs.
    – Because there are holes everywhere, sometimes it is wise to trade away the best assets one has in order to build for the future.

I don’t know that there’s one universal truth. I kind of think all of them are true in a way.

I think this is a move to try to maximize wins in the short term. To me, that seems to suggest a desire to make the franchise as attractive as possible for a move.

Gowolves
    Participant

OK, so let me get this straight. If you wouldn’t sign Rivers, Big Ben or Eli for that amount of money please tell me who you would pay that money to? I mean players like Rodgers, Peyton, and Tom don’t fall off the tree every day. Ok lets pay Drew Brees that money, oh yeah he will be 37 at year end. How about Tony Romo? I hear he as an excellent post season record. Matt Ryan? Andrew Luck-16 interceptions and 12 fumbles in 2014.

This whole argument seems silly to me. I wouldn’t pay him or him because that team doesnt spend the right amount of money against the CAP. Well the new CBA will not allow teams to “hold” cash like they used to. They have to spend it now. I am sure the owners put some loopholes in there to protect themselves.

I won’t pay Eli or Big Ben because they have a defense, they have a great running game, etc. They threw to many picks last year under a new offensive coordinator. I am GLAD none you are the GM of my team. Before you make some comment please think of the alternative. EVERY last one of you would have paid him, Big Ben or Eli. Either you are lying or you want your team to trade for RGIII. Jeez!

rthomas44
    Participant

Lying? Calm yourself,please. Did you see “Moneyball”. If SD wants to win, throwing an obscene amount of money at Rivers, isn’t going to do it. I think it shows that SD doesn’t have the management to win. But, time will tell.

ryebread
    Participant

I think we’re all a little close to this one because we’re all Rivers fans. Some of us are also San Diego fans.

I love Rivers. I’d rather have him than all but a few NFL starting QBs. I feared from the second Rivers went to SD that he’d end up like Marino. I was hoping he’d get out, but it hasn’t happened. It’s a shame.

Let’s look at this another way. Let’s say another middling small market team bouncing around the playoff marker (say KC Chiefs, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Buffalo) just made E. Manning the highest paid QB in football. What would we say? What would we say if they did that, and they were also rumored to be moving? What would we say if Eli had been there for years, is probably going to move out of his prime, and yet they still signed him despite never really winning anything? I’m just looking at this from a business angle.

Tau837
    Participant

^You really aren’t looking at it from a “business angle” if you think it was advisable for the team to move on from Rivers rather than paying him his market value.

As for Eli, the Giants will ultimately give him an extension at his market value (similar to Rivers and Roethlisberger) for the same reasons San Diego extended Rivers.

It is much better for NFL teams to pay market value for a franchise QB than to not have a franchise QB, and it’s not close. I’m surprised that some people have such a hard time understanding and accepting this simple fact.

rthomas44
    Participant

Simple fact: SD is 1-2

tractor57
    Participant

Simple fact – the going rate. We can argue forever and that will not change. I’ve heard these same complaints back to the 1970’s only the numbers have changed.

Tau837
    Participant

Here are SD’s highest paid players this season:

QB Philip Rivers
    DT Corey Liuget
    FS Eric Weddle
    ILB Donald Butler
    WR Malcom Floyd
    LG Orlando Franklin
    P Mike Scifres
    CB Brandon Flowers
    LT King Dunlap
    RB Donald Brown

You want to say Rivers is 1-2? Just look at that group. The only one of them who might be living up to his contract so far is Scifres.

Rivers is a great QB, but he requires at least a semi-competent OL. I don’t recall ever seeing a QB take a beating like Rivers did on Sunday. He was pulled from the game for his own safety! How often does that happen in the NFL? I can’t name one other time, though I’m sure there are some examples.

Much more of the blame for this goes to Telesco, McCoy, and the rest of the coaching staff, most notably OC Reich and DC Pagano. This team is a disaster, and it starts at the top.

Frankly, it makes me sick to see N.C. State fans criticizing Rivers. It makes me think those fans don’t follow the Chargers and aren’t watching the games. Or just don’t understand NFL football.

rthomas44
    Participant

1. I am a 40 year member of the Wolfpack Club and a ’73 grad in NE.
    2. My loyalty to NCSU is complete but not blind or unreasoned.
    3. My criticism is of SD, not PR, he is who he is,talented but not perfect.
    4. If I make you sick, you need to relax, or seek help.
    I watch the Chargers when possible, and always check out Rivers etc. NFL teams are a mix of player talent,coaches,and management. As you know, it takes all three. GO PACK!

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.