Pack welcomes St. Francis – Game thread

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Pack welcomes St. Francis – Game thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

TOTALLY MIXED FEELINGS…

I watched the lady pack miss shots inside and outside the 3P line. They still, as ugly as it was, dominated Wofford. BUT, the box score would not be a coach’s dream.

Yesterday, the pack looked like the SAME team for a while. We could NOT do squat. DS, I fear, has already been identified as a “High Profile Target” or HPT and there are snipers and IED’s and warriors training for his downfall now. We also lost our “motion” or fluid offense….it seemed to be repossessed after the Exhibition games.

However, enter Ted the Terrific….he brought in a spark. We did NOT have Maverick to be “focused on”, so the defenses could be more broad. Ted and Torin dominated. Ted’s ability to play and NOT foul will be critical. NOW, he will then become a HPT.

Our defense was really great during the exhibition games….maybe that was because we were playing against the Broughton HS JV’s or equivalent.

At times, we were really exciting and understood what to do with the ball or how to defend. At other times, even late in the game, it was like “what is this brown sphere and what am I to do with it?”

We lost our Defensive prowess…and need to rekindle it.

We seem (has this been said before?) to have a covey of HIGH POINT guys….but not all of them can play at once.

I guess we will see more of what the future has to offer as the season wanes on….but I am optimistic…

As to Coach D….Unless the WP gets major funding from George Soros or the like and the Bandit Flight Team starts towing…

“FIRE DEBBIE AND DAVE” banners, nothing is gonna happen. Will we be 7 – 5, 6 – 6 or 5 – 7? I haven’t a clue. I did NOT cheer for Cuse on Saturday. BUT, I got the MOST distinct feeling, based on comments or the tone (reading between the lines) that several folks were NOT cheering for the Pack and really wanted a “Signature L” We have one of them and it was awarded by Boston College. Add in a few more, especially the LIGHT BLUE ONE…and it MIGHT have tipped the scales….

Who knows….attended 3 games in 3 days and watched another on HDTV on Saturday.

At least RW pulled an upset last night….and I am NOT an ANTI-Brady guy. He and Coach B seem to have some common sense….and the “United we stand” Seahawks certain made an impression on America….contrary to all the “knee droppers”…

Let the season progress….the comments will still keep being posted…

ryebread
    Participant

Mixed feelings on the basketball game. I’ve watched them all thus far.
    – We aren’t playing defense like we did in the exhibitions. In the real games we’ve been playing more man to man, and we frankly stink at man to man. The beauty of the zone is that it let an Anya, Yurt, Kapita sit under the basket and clean things up. We need more than that. We also need to trap more, like we did in the exhibitions because that allowed us to force tempo and get out on the break.
    – I’m not worried about DSJ. He’s had a year off, and his last real ball was AAU style. Teams are going to focus on him. As long as he stays aggressive, and doesn’t just sit around chucking up 3 pointers, he’ll shine.
    – Dorn is the player I had hoped Purvis would be. Chucky Brown calls him a glue guy, and maybe that’s what he is because he stuffs the stat sheet in so many ways, but he’s a glue guy that would be a focal point on most teams. Right now I think he’s the best wing we have.
    – Abu looks to be in mid-season form. He’s ready to go.
    – Kapita hustled which I liked, but he was also more skilled and a better FT shooter than I expected. Hopefully it’s not a one time fluke because this was the best “first game” by a freshman in years. To me, he and Abu were very complimentary when on the court together.
    – We’ve got to play the bench, and I don’t mean an 8 man rotation. I want to see us going 9 deep a night, riding the hot hand and pushing the pace. We should be playing so hard that guys CAN’T play 38 minutes a game because of how tired they are from defense and the pace. For once depth is our advantage and we need to use it.

In the end, we won by 25 and the game was never really in doubt. I will take that every night, regardless of opponent.

choppack1
    Participant

Yep, I don’t want this to be Alabama Duece…where you have a team that looks great walking on the court but plays the game with the joy that one usually displays while being audited.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

When the ball is on the floor, and there’s nobody diving for it, that’s lack of intensity/hustle. If you aren’t hustling back on defense, that’s lack of effort/intensity. In my book, and the way I was taught, you come out of the game.

I didn’t watch the two exhibition games, but we still defend the pick and roll and perimeter ball screens worse than most D-1 teams. What frets me most this early is that this shoudl be the most capable bunch yet. And the staff should’ve engrained early on that if you don’t do certain things defensively, we have someone right behind you who will. I’m not seeing that attitude yet.

choppack1
    Participant

Thus far we are forcing an average of 10 turnovers a game, good enough for 290 out of 334 d 1 teams.

Texpack
    Participant

I came over here feeling all spunky about my 37-3 season prediction and get met with this.

There’s still room on the bandwagon, probably will be for a few more months.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Just a reminder to folks already complaining: It’s mid November. We’ve played 2 games. We looked a LOT better in game #2 than in game #1.

I’m pretty confident we’ll have a lot of fun watching this season play out.

Texpack: Love the optimism of a 3 loss season, however (with all due respect), prepare to be disappointed if that’s the bar you’re setting for the team. If I had to guess a best case scenario for this team it would be 7-8 losses. But if you’re right, or even off by a couple, I’d be ecstatic.

Gowolves
    Participant

It could be worse. CT was ranked preseason and lost its first game to Wagner, I think it was. Purvis is still there and did not play well in the opener. A few teams ranked in that range struggled. The Pack is not immune to the opening games struggle. Pack plays Montana next then possibly Creighton. They are 22 or 23rd ranked. Could be the first real test.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Creighton should be legit as they’ve been a good mid-major in recent history. Their game tomorrow night against Wisconsin should tell us a bit more, but I agree.. I expect it’ll be a great 1st TRUE test for this team.

choppack1
    Participant

It will be interesting to see what happens with this team.

We do have to take a long view of this squad.

However, the only reason I bring up the lack of turnovers is because this has been a trademark of gott ball. The good news is so is making the tournament.

Like I said, I am looking forward to this year if only because it allows us to get an idea of Gottfried’s ceiling.

McCallum
    Participant

I watched Hoosiers last night.

If you are all that and a bag of chips (which they ain’t) then these games should be cakewalks.

In the famous words of Harry Morgan describing the 1981 Brutonville Middle school girls AND boys basketball teams, “dey ain’t got no brains”.

McCallum

Texpack
    Participant

Just a reminder to folks already complaining: It’s mid November. We’ve played 2 games. We looked a LOT better in game #2 than in game #1.

I’m pretty confident we’ll have a lot of fun watching this season play out.

Texpack: Love the optimism of a 3 loss season, however (with all due respect), prepare to be disappointed if that’s the bar you’re setting for the team. If I had to guess a best case scenario for this team it would be 7-8 losses. But if you’re right, or even off by a couple, I’d be ecstatic.

Why just drink the Kool-Aid when you can drown in it?

Gowolves
    Participant

Well Ted will not be playing in the the tournment this weekend. Visa issues. Damn.

Gowolves
    Participant

Good matchups tonight.

Maryland v. Georgetown.on FS1 Rafferty doing the game. 6:30 tip off
    MSU v. Kentucky on ESPN. 7pm
    Duke v. Kansas ESPN approx 9 on ESPN
    Wisconsin versus Creighton.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.