Pack – Panthers NonGame Thread – 1/19/16….

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Pack – Panthers NonGame Thread – 1/19/16….

Viewing 14 posts - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

Great effort… Keep winning boards and keeping guys off the offensive boards and we will be fine.

MrPlywood
    Participant

IMO the officiating was sufficiently invisible.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Quoting Mr. Dog…

“Make Shots — Win Games”

Pack shooting 48% tonight — 50% from beyond the Arc…
    16-20 from the stripe…

——————

Pack out rebounds the Panthers 46-30
    that alot of rebounds…

——————

Pack NON-Defense holds the Panthers to 37% from the floor — 29% from beyond the Arc…

——————-

That says it All…
    Numbers don’t lie…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Russell Wilson just texted Cat and told him that he got roughed up LESS this past Sunday in Charlotte. THAT was a physical game with Pitt showing their emotions. Glad Cat was not (seemingly) injured.

Mav should NOT have shot that last 3, but as much as the Pitt fans were razzing him, I would have jacked up a BUNCH of them.

Cat and Cody sure make a great team. The pre-game went into the details and the “whys”. Cat will now not be as big a target (OK, not by much), but he WILL have some rest. Cody will also develop and if Cat does need a blow, then Cody can mind the store.

GOTT sure sounded more upbeat.

Speaking of that…..have all the torches from the “GOTT’s GOTT to GO” crowd finally been extinguished. This should calm that down.

Regardless of which side of the issue you may be (or may NOT be) on, the bottom line. Debbie Yow has declared this a Rebuilding Season due to Trevor’s untimely and unexpected departure and Terry’s equally unplanned injury.

We are part of an elite 2.5% of all DI schools that have gone to the NCAA 4 years in a row and also made the Sweet 16. I got an email from her with some unsolicited comments. She seemed like she just needed to vent a little.

GO PACK…

Wufpacker
    Participant

Just like one loss (or even one bad season…in theory) SHOULDN’T send folks off the ledge, I doubt one win will get them to go back inside and close the window…or set down their torches and pitchforks, for those more inclined toward the homicidal vigilantism side of things.

The only emails I get these days are the ones asking for more money, or asking me to get social with NCSU. Though I did get one today asking me to buy tickets to the ACCT in DC. Though to be fair, I think that was a joke. Because when I read it I laughed like hell.

Adventuroo
    Participant

My email was in response to a 3 line email congratulating the Lady Pack for their Duke victory. I did comment that I was pulling for a major turnaround at UNCH (past Saturday). For some reason, it got a 3 paragraph response….very detailed and “punched” from an iPhone at 2:30 AM.

Never can tell what you will get….but you WILL get a response….usually within an hour of sending an email.

I also deleted the ACC Tourney Ticket solicitation today. However, IF you wanted to make some $$, you would buy ALL the tickets that you can and go to DC. The scalpers there run them up more than any venue that I have ever seen. I have sold and purchased extra tickets at several ACC Tourneys, including DC over the past 20 or so years. NOTHING compares with the HOT TICKET market in DC. Listening to the folks on their cells on the Metro, if they get a ticket for less than 5 times face, it is the bargain of a lifetime….or it was in the mid 2000’s the LAST time (I think) that the Tourney was held in DC.

I ain’t going back there….even though I have free room and board and am close to the Metro…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

B’rer ‘Roo…

Getting around DC sucks worse than ever…
    unless your at the Senator or Cabinet level….

Can you name WKIXs Four Horsemen… all of them?
    I GOTT 2.5 and a mental block…

which is what happens when you mix years, music, cold beer and Saint Mary’s girls…
    not to mention a wife and four grown kids…

:>}

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    xphoenix87

I haven’t posted thoughts on game threads much recently because I feel like I’m just repeating the same flaws. It’s been a few games though, so here goes:

– This was easily our best defensive game of the season. We rebounded well, mostly kept our feet and didn’t bail Pitt out, and did a really good job getting back in transition. It was less good in the second half, but still pretty sound overall. That said, a lot of this game just felt like Pitt playing terrible. We played good D, but they just looked off all night.
    – Offensively we still look terrible a lot of the time, and I think we should be better than we are given our talent level.
    – Perhaps the most frustrating thing about watching the team this year has been a real lack of urgency. We’ll take 15 seconds to even start running an offensive set, and then none of the cuts are sharp and players are jogging from spot to spot. This was infuriating during the FSU game. I understand that we want to keep the pace down, but the purpose of playing a slow, deliberate style isn’t just to slow the game down, it’s to be patient to get a great shot. To do that, you have to be disciplined with your cuts and passes, and not just take time, but make use of the time to get good shots. We don’t do that.
    – I love the switch from Caleb to Cody. In theory, Caleb is the better fit because we need shooters. The problem is that Caleb actually hasn’t been able to shoot since early in the season. When Caleb isn’t effective as a shooter, Cody is better at literally every aspect of the game. He’s a better ball-handler, passer, rebounder and defender.
    – Abu has had his struggles this season, but he’s been very good in ACC play. He’s still our weakest defensive big man, but he has cut down on his long jumpers and is attacking the glass like a maniac.
    – There are signs of life with this squad, not just with this game but with the first half against UNC, and maybe we’re seeing the start of that late season improvement we’ve seen each year that Gott has been here. Duke is looking weak right now, and they’re very beatable in Raleigh. Even so, it’s hard to imagine a path back to 9-9 or even 8-10. The Va Tech and Wake losses are gonna continue to loom large.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The season may be (ie, IS) still shot, but it’s encouraging to see the young men show such character and step up on the road. Avoiding absolute disaster would still be very helpful for the program going forward. We CAN still do that.

Cody was great. Abu broke their spirit numerous times. Cat was cold-blooded, as is his nature.

GFK nailing that three was BEAUTIFUL. Cat sought him out for it. Purposeful statement. “Yeah, we heard you. Now STFU.”

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Just imagine what Jamie Dixon would have done with Maverick Rowan…

Rick
    Keymaster

Speaking of that…..have all the torches from the “GOTT’s GOTT to GO” crowd finally been extinguished. This should calm that down.

Regardless of which side of the issue you may be (or may NOT be) on, the bottom line. Debbie Yow has declared this a Rebuilding Season due to Trevor’s untimely and unexpected departure and Terry’s equally unplanned injury.

We are part of an elite 2.5% of all DI schools that have gone to the NCAA 4 years in a row and also made the Sweet 16. I got an email from her with some unsolicited comments. She seemed like she just needed to vent a little.

1-5 is hardly a ringing endorsement for the coach but it appears sides have been drawn and after every win we will see posts calling people out just as after every loss we see complaints about Gott. I seem to remember this from the last two failed coaches.

Of course Tow is calling this year a gimme. She is not going to get rid of Gott. She made a horrid decision giving him an extension so she is hardly going to put him on the hot seat. Those two are tied at the hip and he is here as long as she is here (see 2019). She is certainly better than Jed but that is not a high bar to hurdle.

I think we need to put up a statue to Gott to honor his incredible accomplishments. We are obviously the best of the best of the best.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

The season may be (ie, IS) still shot, but it’s encouraging to see the young men show such character and step up on the road. Avoiding absolute disaster would still be very helpful for the program going forward. We CAN still do that.

Cody was great. Abu broke their spirit numerous times. Cat was cold-blooded, as is his nature.

GFK nailing that three was BEAUTIFUL. Cat sought him out for it. Purposeful statement. “Yeah, we heard you. Now STFU.”

I will give credit where credit is due, these guys are still fighting hard. It would have been easy for them to mail it in on the road. Thats the absolute last thing this program needs is for the kids to give up and roll over. Duke game should be fun (if I get to watch it….stupid Directtv)

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

1-5 is hardly a ringing endorsement for the coach but it appears sides have been drawn and after every win we will see posts calling people out just as after every loss we see complaints about Gott. I seem to remember this from the last two failed coaches.

Of course Tow is calling this year a gimme. She is not going to get rid of Gott. She made a horrid decision giving him an extension so she is hardly going to put him on the hot seat. Those two are tied at the hip and he is here as long as she is here (see 2019). She is certainly better than Jed but that is not a high bar to hurdle.

The calling out by both sides after a win or loss does kindof show where we are as a program now. Damn that happens fast.

Also how convenient that Yow is calling this a rebuilding year. I wonder how she gets to decide that.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I wonder how she gets to decide that.

Job title.

Viewing 14 posts - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.