Pack OC Matt Canada Dismissed

Home Forums StateFans Football Pack OC Matt Canada Dismissed

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

N.C. State’s football team will have a new offensive coordinator next season.

Assistant coach Matt Canada has been “relieved of his duties” after three seasons with the school, according to an athletic department spokesperson early Sunday morning

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article52810120.html#storylink=cpy

Wulfpack
    Participant

Would have thought Hux would be the first to go.

PackFamily
    Participant

Also surprised it was Canada first, but it’s not over yet. I am glad to see some accountability and not personal loyalty above team. This is a refreshing change.

choppack1
    Participant

As someone who has been baffled many times with Canada, I find his release very perplexing if hux is allowed to stay. So what you want about Canada, but he has shown signs of genius. He has shown he can do his part in engineering upsets…the same can’t be said about hux thus far in his tenure in Raleigh.

Of course, hux may be fired tomorrow. If that happens, what does it say about the head coach that he has to fire BOTH coordinators that he had hired 3 years into his tenure.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

As someone who has been baffled many times with Canada, I find his release very perplexing if hux is allowed to stay. So what you want about Canada, but he has shown signs of genius. He has shown he can do his part in engineering upsets…the same can’t be said about hux thus far in his tenure in Raleigh.

Of course, hux may be fired tomorrow. If that happens, what does it say about the head coach that he has to fire BOTH coordinators that he had hired 3 years into his tenure.

Says he is a dead man walking IMO. I think they fired the wrong one. If you do indeed fire both then I def think it hinders recruiting quite a bit.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It says the head coach is next if things don’t change quickly.

You have to wonder what kind of coaching talent we can attract. Any one coming in has to know it is win or else time.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

It says the head coach is next if things don’t change quickly.

You have to wonder what kind of coaching talent we can attract. Any one coming in has to know it is win or else time.

Thats a fair point and I dont want Yow anywhere near the next hire. However if he craps the bed next year then a reasonable coach could look at his 4 years body of work and understand why he indeed did get fired. The numbers are deceiving here. Also I imagine we are going to have to “break the bank” a bit more next go around to get someone not a project so I think there will be more money to entice someone.

I am praying we get a Air Raid prodigy coach or just bite the bullet and throw all sorts of money at Ken N (Navy) and be done with it. We will never recruit well for numerous reasons so might as well have a gimmicky offense. Would love to see the Air Raid in the ACC.

Fastback68
    Participant

I would think the majority of young OC candidates, looking to make a name for themselves, wouldn’t hesitate to sign based on the talent level that currently exists. Spread, up tempo and keep all these WRs, Rbs and TEs happy. A young, energetic and talented OC might wind up being your next head coach down the road.

Would appreciate the nitty gritty details as to why the up tempo from year two was shelved.

StateFans
    Keymaster

I’m willing to bet that Debbie will do what is needed to show support to Doeren to enable him to bring in some talented coaches without the fear of being one and done.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Oh I think an unproven guy absolutely would be interested. Great opportunity. But not a current OC.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Canada won’t have a problem landing on his feet. Hope this one doesn’t come back to bite us. He did mystify me with the play calls on more than a few occasions. To me, this spells the beginning of the end of dd unless he brings in some A+ recruiters.

TheCOWDOG

Me thinks QB developement had a good deal to do with this.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Wasn’t the knock on brisset at fl that he held the ball too long, didn’t have good field vision, and made poor decisions, which led to turnovers? Well, he cut down on the turnovers but the other characteristics seemed only slightly improved. Is the concern about qb improvement from this year or next?

tjfoose1
    Participant

I too thought Hux should’ve gone first. Pretty much agree 100% w chop’. The defense was the weak link, not the O.

This move is a little odd, all things considered. Raises more questions. In addition to CD’s thoughts below, a philosophical difference, perhaps?

Me thinks QB developement had a good deal to do with this.

Only thing that explains it, IMO. I’m guessing at the college level, it’s difficult to justify not having the OC not also being the QB coach.

Canada won’t have a problem getting a new gig.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Maybe the perplexing lack of use of JaySam in the bowl game was the capper for DD?

I thought DD’s post game comments rang a little hollow. More like coach speak rather than what HE truly agreed with. If you let the other team dictate that you only get the ball to your best playmaker 4 times, what does that say about the OC?

There did, at times, seem to be inconsistencies between DD’s comments and on the field materialization. DD said throughout the season that JaySam was our best player/weapon and needed to be fed the ball.

tjfoose1
    Participant

My guess/thoughts anyway, fwiw.

tractor57
    Participant

I was dissappointed Samuels was not used a bit more but I’m not sure I would call him the “best playmaker” – If their are stats that show he was I’m good to go. Just not convinced yet.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Lost OL (Uremovich) Coach too. Headed back to NIU to be OC.

tractor57
    Participant

Given the OL performance maybe not so terribly bad. That said coaching is a part, recruiting is a part, strength and conditioning is a part, “want to” is a part.

Heelh8r
    Participant

I was confused about our OL performance this year. I thought it was going to be a strength. It’s where we had the most seniors. Sometimes it was a strength, proven by our rushing yards gained. But then often Jacoby was running for his life with no time to throw. I don’t know.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Coach said one time..
    “If you play good defense, your team should always have a chance to win.”

Now… to be perfectly straightforward… He was a basketball coach….

We need a defense… regardless of whether we’re playing real football or basketball in pads on grass….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tjfoose1
    Participant

I was confused about our OL performance this year.

No depth and hit early and often with injuries. Practically a new lineup every week the first half of the season. The line up jumbling continued throughout.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I was dissappointed Samuels was not used a bit more but I’m not sure I would call him the “best playmaker”

He made things happen with the ball in his hands, and his presence opened up things for other players. But I’m probably with you, if I’m understanding you correctly.

I thought he should have been used more, but I also thought his effectiveness was predicated on situation and tactical play calling. There’d be a point of diminishing returns, but I don’t think we ever approached that in most conference games.

tractor57
    Participant

‘fose seems we are on the same page here. I do think Samuels was underused but yes situation and tactics. Not so sure the choices were the best and also I’m not sure he was the “best playmaker”.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.