Offense sputters, State loses 20-13

Home Forums All StateFansNation Offense sputters, State loses 20-13

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    PackofMac
    Participant

Play calling today would’ve made Dana Bible proud…wait is he back??? What a perfect last play on such a crappy coached and played game….stopped on 4th and 1

tangogr33n
    Participant

For a wolf in tiger country, us losing to some birds and the cheaters pulling one out against the rambling wreck? I’ve had enough fun for one weekend.

TeufelWolf
    Participant

Lots of good points on here (with a few exceptions). No need to repeat or take credit for the brilliance of previous posts. I do feel and want to add that the program, as a whole, still feels, to me, like it is headed in the right direction. I wasn’t expecting our national championship banner to go up this year. Like DD said after the game, there’s lots of game tape the watch from this one. As long as we don’t see the same [play calling] mistakes…

Tau837
    Participant

IMO many fans have overestimated the strength of the passing game.

Dayes and Samuel are the two leading receivers on the team (by number of receptions), with a combined 43 of the team’s 98 completions. Samuels also has 4 of the 7 receiving TDs for the team. The passes to these guys tend to be short passes, with most of the yardage coming after the catch. The passing game has not looked very good on medium or long passes.

IMO this is a combination of mediocre play by QB, OL, and downfield targets. I don’t think it is the playcalling, since yesterday it looked like there were many such plays available that were missed or not executed properly.

Was yesterday an aberration? Will the team get better in this area? If not, it’s going to be a long season on offense, as opponents will feel comfortable playing closer to the line of scrimmage, making it harder on the running game and short passing game.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Where was Gallaspy yesterday? Was sure with Shad gone, he would see increased playing time.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Where was Gallaspy yesterday? Was sure with Shad gone, he would see increased playing time.

He had a carry in the 4th. Only one I remember though.

tjfoose1
    Participant

IMO many fans have overestimated the strength of the passing game.

I agree. Jacoby’s downfield accuracy is suspect. It’s his one weakness.

He did get increased playing time. He only got one carry, but he was on the field often.

TheCOWDOG

Sorry, don’t see the down field issue. Yesterday, he had out issues with the short hop.

He hung a long catchable ball to Hines, and he overthrew one because he had to release early..Right as he was getting decleated.

I’m not looking for excuses, just putting some reality on it.

That throw to Ramos was downfield and perfect. The wheel routes are downfield and precise, too. He threw some heavy balls on intermediate outs yesterday, no doubt.

mak4dpak
    Participant

In regards to Gallaspy was referring to carries. Just one doesn’t seem to utilize his talent. Perhaps more with each game. Guess we will see at VT. They don’t seem to be so good this year, hope we can steal a win there Friday.

rthomas44
    Participant

This game proved that State has wasted the first 4 weeks of the season by not playing a credible schedule.

rthomas44
    Participant

This game proved that State has wasted the first 4 weeks of the season by not playing a credible schedule.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Pretty sure schedules are put together years in advance. I think some of these games were arranged while Fowler was still AD.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Thanks for the correction and update on the team practicing in the rain. Good for them.

The crowd was pretty good….probably 75 – 80% of capacity at kick-off….and a lot were late. There were a LOT of empty spaces as I walked through the PNC East lot. At half and later, even after the rain, we were still at 45 – 50%. Coach’s comment on that was appreciated.

BUT, if you watched the Clemson-ND game last night, I wonder how many fans were there….it must have been over 75K. They were there through a monsoon. Admittedly, Clemson was “toasting” the leprechauns….BUT, you still gotta give their fans a Tip of the Hatlo Hat (if you remember THAT, you are as old as my poor body). NOW, my wife did comment that perhaps they were “not feeling any pain….or rain”….probably a legitimate comment as they were partying at daybreak due to ESPN Fan Day.

Have not seen the FireDD.org and BringBackShad.net sites….like the UNC’ers are talking about. At least we were not #3 and got manhandled (touched in inappropriate places) like the Ole’ Miss’ers were. SHEESH…Even old “Six Time” Jimmie Johnson had the wheels fall off his Sprint Chase for #7 (Literally). Between the upsets and the comebacks and the last second wins (losses), it was a strange day.

Can’t roll back the clock….just got to go on….

South Alabama beat Troy 24 – 18…..FWIW….

PackofMac
    Participant

As I previously stated I think the play calling was suspect at best, I do however like the thought of #7 streaking down field like ole’ Bo used to do…just have to put a good throw on the ball. I however like it on a a sec on and short after a positive running play. I was encouraged by the tailgate turnout…seemed pretty damn good considering the forecast but as someone else here stated……tons of empty seats. Overall still a good and very loyal crowd, I’m proud to be a part of that.

On a less productive thought, when my family is soaked from watching a poor performance I’d like the video guy to not show those go* da** videos telling the crowd to get up. I’d love to make a video of my own showing all of us telling the football team to wake the ____ up, or at least a good slap to the face of our OC with one of my wet socks.

JasonP
    Participant

I don’t think scheduling is that big of a deal. If anything, easier teams should have provided the opportunities to hone the plays into a science. Just seems like the team wasn’t ready to play. The defense has been prone to giving up big plays since the season started. That hasn’t changed. O Line struggled and that’s not new. Cards aren’t that good, just good enough to make more plays than us. Game was winnable, Cards wanted it more.

On to VT. Another winnable game. Just hope the Pack has the right mindset this time.

rtpack24
    Participant

Move J Sam to tailback he is strong enough to overcome a weak offensive line with two starters out. All he does is make touchdowns! They did a piss poor job of getting him the ball on Sat.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Cards aren’t that good

Wrong. You’re assuming they’re the same team you saw earlier in the season when they were struggling with the QB position and an identity.

ryebread
    Participant

I decided to sit on this one a bit before posting. The State boards were in meltdown mode, and I decided to let it simmer a bit.

I was frustrated watching it in front of the TV, and I wasn’t sitting out in the rain doing it. I can see how those sitting in the rain would have been highly frustrated. Maybe those were some posting, but I suspect that it was at most 50/50.

Before adding anything further, I figured I would mention that my preseason prediction was 8-4 (4-4) with a loss to Louisville. I figured these teams would be fairly even talent wise but Louisville had Petrino and would come in battle tested. I had hoped we’d win this, but wasn’t surprised that we didn’t.

I don’t want to rehash a bunch of stuff, other than some quick points:
    – QB play: JB to me is more of a game manager and leader than a great throwing QB. He works best in a running offense throwing out of play action. He’s not good at routes of 10+ yards or checking down from his primary read.
    – Louisville at 1-3: Their QB play has really improved. I think many of our fans (and maybe our players) looked at that record and thought it’d be an easy game. No moral victories, but that’s a better team than their record.
    – Playcalling: Not a referendum on Canada, but not a defense either. It’s hard to call plays when the QB has a game that bad and the OL doesn’t open any holes for the running game. I did see open receivers. I didn’t see a lot of completed passes.
    – Samuels: Absolutely needs the ball more. With Shad out, he’s the biggest weapon we have.
    – Shad out: Was a distraction for the team.
    – Weather: No excuses there. Both teams played in it.
    – Early fumble: Really changed the tone of the game. Have a team that is 1-3 and if they give up an early score they start thinking “here we go again.” Instead they get that and then break the long run and it was huge for them. Bad break.
    – Defense struggled with the QB read option. That’s a problem because most teams have that look now. Otherwise, they were pretty good.
    – Schedule: Dead horse beaten, but we weren’t prepared by our schedule to play a good team. You could see it on the first long run when the guys were shocked we couldn’t just run the QB down.

Here are some things that I’ve not really seen mentioned as much that concerned me:
    – Sense of urgency: Once we scored early in the 3rd quarter, we basically shut it down for the rest of the game. I understand a defensive struggle, but it was like we kept hoping that Louisville would make a mistake and give us the ball in scoring position. Effectively we played right into Louisville’s hands by helping them burn the clock, shortening the game and limiting possessions. It’s fine to play that way, but you need to do it when you’re up 7, not down 7.
    – Louisville defensive player saying in a post game interview that they knew what was coming based on how we were lined up. I’ve argued this many times over the past year. We’re multiple in looks, but very limited in options out of those looks. That might be great for a bowl game if you’ve not done it all year (think Rivers and NC State vs Kansas in that bowl), but if it’s the same 2-3 plays out of certain looks time and again (particularly in certain situations), it’s eventually easy to scheme around.
    – BJD mentioned it, but the actual play call on 4th and 1 at the end was baffling. It was the best shot at play action to slip a guy like Samuels out with a chance to break one. Even if we’d have gotten that first down, we had no time outs and would have been deep inside our own territory. Clock management and situational awareness are things that this staff seems consistently weak on. The sense of urgency was bigger than this one play, but this play shows what I thought I was seeing time and again in the second half.

JasonP
    Participant

Cards aren’t that good

Wrong. You’re assuming they’re the same team you saw earlier in the season when they were struggling with the QB position and an identity.

Just basing my assessment on what I saw Saturday. They’re not that good – decent, but they’re probably going to go through this season without being ranked. Outside of a few skill positions and that DE that continually wrecked us, they weren’t impressive. I’ll give them this – they could win the Atlantic…the division isn’t all that and Clemson or FSU could melt down, but I still think chances are slim.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Clemson, to me, is the team to beat so long as they don’t pull a Clemson, which we know is likely. FSU hasn’t gotten moving, yet.

Louisville is certainly in the mix now that they have found a QB.

As for the Coastal, it is Duke’s to lose.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

10 for 27 for 100 yards by a freshman QB on the road. We got beat by that? What’s going to happen when we run up against a team with a seasoned QB that can complete 50% of their passes? Ugh.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Ryebread – nice summary. Agree with all of it except the JB part. I agree somewhat, but in spite of my below comments, I give him much more credit. He’s too much of a play maker to fit your description, way too much.

Fair enough, JasonP. I didn’t say they were great, just disagreed that they are not a good team. I’m not a Petrino fan, but he’s a damn fine college football coach. Louisville will keep getting better as the season progresses. Their two DT’s make their entire defense better. They were the perfect match up at the right place at the right time to stymie our offense. Louisville won’t win the Atlantic, but they’ll be a factor. Clemson is lucky they played em early.

State is progressing. Given the weather, the week leading up to the game, their announced starter at QB, and Petrino, I wasn’t surprised by the game. Was worried about their QB the whole week, given the match up with our D. Actually, I kinda expected more big plays from him. I would have much preferred their passing QB be the starter. I was disappointed in State’s performance, yes, but not surprised. I was reassured though, if not encouraged, by the halftime adjustments.

We have the right coaches in place. The rest will come. That said, I think Petrino bested them Saturday, more so than the players. And our coaches know it. I see a heated rivalry developing. A learning experience for all. That’s how you get better.

I rarely disagree with CD, but this is one of those times. Jacoby’s accuracy in his downfield passing game still concerns me. Not saying it’s not there, but from my vantage point, it’s not proven reliable. Not yet, anyway. Please show me different, JB.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Schedule: Dead horse beaten, but we weren’t prepared by our schedule to play a good team. You could see it on the first long run when the guys were shocked we couldn’t just run the QB down.

Agree the schedule was weak, but that didn’t factor into being surprised in seeing that. That wasn’t the first time they’ve seen someone break a long run and take it to the house this year.

Greywolf
    Participant

Canada did not have a good day…OVERALL. Except for the deep slant that got coughed up on the 5.

No…Brissett did not have a good day. OL did not have a very good day.

Exactly what the fux would you guys be calling from the booth today? Huh?

Are you asking what plays Canada could call to cause Brissett and the OL to have a good day?

WTF Mr. Dog? These boards are for pissing and moaning and smart-arsed remarks, not serious football questions.

You have got me thinking, what COULD Canada have called that would shift Brissett and the OL to having a good day? We want Brissett to hit receivers on vertical passes in stride for a half dozen TDs when he’s skipping the ball in the dirt at 7 yards. We want him to hit deep crossing routes while rolling out when he’s having trouble hitting himself in the arse with either hand standing in the pocket.

But Canada could correct all that by, by, by ugh, by what? What call corrects those things?

tjfoose1
    Participant

^ How soon they forget… I think we should have gone to full blown TOB mode. Shotgun hand off to the back for 1.5 yards every play.

Sometimes there’s bad days, no matter what you do. Today, the Louisville game is an outlier. I’d imagine that during film review, the coaches and player were like ‘wtf, we know better. We don’t do that’ with lots of unforced, boneheaded errors. My suspicion anyway.

As referenced is previous posts, for a multitude of reasons, chalk this one up as just one of those days. Do the standard review and analysis and move on. If with the next game it proves to be something more, then there’s a problem.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.