Offense sputters, State loses 20-13

Home Forums All StateFansNation Offense sputters, State loses 20-13

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Louisville was not good today at all. period.

Well then, neither were we.

Their D line was enough of a force to throw us completely off. And their young QB made a couple of plays. It was a close game but Lville was the better team the majority of the day. Like I said, this loss won’t define our season. But we had better learn from it and grow up fast. The cupcake party is over.

archdalepack
    Participant

I just got back from the game. Thought Dana Bible called a great game today. The way he used the jet sweep, screens, deep pass etc was just great!

Sorry just tired of this crap!

Defense played well with just a couple of break downs.

john of sparta
    Participant

@ VaT?
    grow up?
    grow some.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Exactly what the fux would you guys be calling from the booth today? Huh?

Me personally? Exclusively fake punts.

Rick
    Keymaster

Doreen said they practiced in the rain twice this week.
    Just a disappointing game all around.
    Hopefully we learn and grow.

TheCOWDOG

Paki

:-/

Yeah…

mak4dpak
    Participant

Things have come pretty easily the last 4 weeks, so Louisville comes to town, and the team seems to play like they won the game already before playing. Play calling on offense was just too predictable, even when it didn’t work. Puke at the constant first down and run for no gain. The season isn’t over, but the team better get it together, or more losses are in our near future.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We needed to throw some deeper slants and other intermediate routes to make them pay for stacking the box and take advantage of the field conditions. Jaylen did NOT get the ball enough. Also maybe some shotgun to buy Jacoby some time.

In short, everything we were calling other than runs and short passes was VERY slow developing and our OL simply wasn’t anywhere close to up to the task. Rather than having some sort of “Plan B” attack, we seemed to go into a shell and just hope Ville would fuck up and we would get a D/ST score or turnover.

Hope is not a strategy.

archdalepack
    Participant

Tight end was ignored.
    More roll outs.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

No Shad means a droop off in ground game of at least 40+ a game now that we’re in to big boy play. I like Dayes but he doesn’t run through tackles or hit the hole like Shad. What I don’t understand is the lack of read option and utilization of Brisset in the ground game. My memory may be bad, but didn’t we run him more late last year? I assumed we were holding on to this and didn’t need it in games 1-4 but thought wed surely see it now. No way we’ll run it effectively without incorporating the qb. I suspect the shad dismissal had more effect on psyche than we’d like to think. Bad mojo indded

Heelh8r
    Participant

I am still mourning the loss of Shad. We are a different team with him on it, and it will adversely affect our season. I am not talking about mojo or distraction, I am talking about talent.

I support Coach DD but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with every decision. I am all for discipline but c’mon, a moped accident? For a college student? Suspend him again if you must, but to kick him off the team seems harsh and unfeeling. He has been robbed of his senior season and chance to show his talents to the NFL, and we have lost our chance to see him play and potentially lead us to a special season.

I believe this decision is akin to letting Russell Wilson go. It doesn’t make sense. Yes, I am aware he had already been given several chances and I am sure there are details I do not know. But he had paid the price for his past transgressions and to end his career because of a moped accident seems ridiculous. The punishment does not fit the crime.

13OT
    Participant

I think our defense continues to improve and that’s good, but I don’t think we can build the level of success at NC State that we desire by bringing in transfer QBs.

Most all successful Wolfpack teams from the past were built around long-term quarterbacks who were natural QBs and not running backs thrust into that position. I just don’t think we’ll ever build a successful football program using transfer players at key positions.

And for Thornton, his presence today wouldn’t have made much difference with our O line and their defense.

Now, the Pack has got to get ready to win on the road, or this season may go south quickly.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I give up on predicting future weeks based on prior performance. Not after the run we went on post-BC last season.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Unless’n we get our shite together, it’s looking pretty easy to predict Halloween night at least.

tjfoose1
    Participant

And for Thornton, his presence today wouldn’t have made much difference with our O line and their defense

Understandable statement, but I disagree. That was exactly the type of game Shad’s style and specific strengths would have been ideal.

Shad’s absence and their DT’s were huge factors.

Jacoby was either having unusual difficulty with the wet ball or he was fighting through a dinged wing today.

Disappointed today, but it’s just a minor bump. Big picture was bad, but there was a lot of good to see if you knew what you were looking at.

Lots of idiocy on the boards today.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

This game reminds me of the Syracuse game a couple years ago, where a less than average team came in an manhandled a WTFPack team that didn’t look very interested.

As always, our defensive brain trust refused to make adjustments until halftime. We were lucky to still be in the game at that point, as our DB’s, Eggo, Pop-Tart and Melba were getting toasted with regularity. Everyone in the stadium could see the passes coming, except for our coaches and Eggo, Pop-Tart and Melba. The three of them never bothered to turn around to see at all to look at the incoming passes.

Certainly not two off-tackle QB keepers…in a row. Especially after the first was one yard loss. Predictably, the second was…a one yard loss.

Did we run a jet sweep to extend the defense all day?

And really, with it 4th and 1, with the game on the line, throwing a five yard deep toss to Matt Dayes was…dumb.

Rick
    Keymaster

Certainly not two off-tackle QB keepers…in a row.

Maybe that is the idiocy being referenced.

mak4dpak
    Participant

This was a winnable game, so we have to win our next two road games, then come home, and play to our potential, and beat the Tigers, who beat the Cards.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Frankly, on the 4th and 1…we should have just thrown for the TD. It was the best chance we were gonna get to catch them off guard.

choppack1
    Participant

Kind of a perfect storm to sink us today….shad’s dismissal (which resulted in us throwing a lot of playbook out the door IMHO), 4 cupcakes vs a team that has been fighting and scratching just to keep from getting blown out, a red zone turnover early that totally changed the tenor of the ballgame, and nasty weather which negated a home field advantage.

At the end of the day we lost a game we could have won and got beaten by a team we had the talent to beat. Oh well, next 2 games will define our season and our direction. We will be playing against beaten down teams much like the one we played today….the difference is now, we’ve been pistol-whipped too. Hopefully, we show the same toughness Louisville displayed today.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Jets sweeps? Seriously?

There’s a reason why we didn’t run them in mass today. Actually, there were at least three reasons.

Nothing in sync today for several reasons. Learn from it and move on. If today is repeated next week, then bring out the whiney bitching and team ripping.

tjfoose1
    Participant

And hope Jacoby had nothing more than weather effected issues.

redisgood
    Participant

Roo, just a correction. The team practiced outdoors in the rain all week instead of indoors.

Very disappointing. I hated a lot of the play calling. Jacoby had a bad day, the coaches had a bad day. Such a winnable game. As has been the pattern all season, a few plays saw our receivers breaking downfield wide open, and Jacoby never looked their way, despite having time to do so.

A lot of improvement needed somehow before Friday.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Forgot to mention, if the game is on the line, and we need a field goal, we are in trouble. This guy, when given the chance, has been quite inconsistent, and missed them. With our history of great FG kickers, what happened?

BJD95
    Keymaster

And hope Jacoby had nothing more than weather effected issues.

If Jacoby was hurt/sick…well, that would explain explain everything that was wrong. But I would rather that we just screwed up unless it was something that will have no impact going forward, obviously.

Agree with the jet sweeps not being an option. But running intermediate slants in that kind of weather/field condition is really basic stuff, and it irritated me that we never really went to that.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.