Offense sputters, State loses 20-13

Home Forums All StateFansNation Offense sputters, State loses 20-13

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

State loses for the first time since last November 8th and drops to 4-1 and 0-1 for the season. Offensively, things never really clicked for the Pack
    [See the full post at: Offense sputters, State loses 20-13]

Wulfpack
    Participant

The L’ville D line took control of the game. That’s one we certainly could have won. We can still go on to have a very good season but the enthusiasm will certainly be tempered.

coach13
    Participant

Don’t comprehend the play calling…all day. At some point you would think Dore would be asking the OC wtf?

rky
    Participant

‘Sputters’ huh? You are being more than kind, sir. The offense was a disaster.

Packzingo
    Participant

What do I see today in NC state….
    Nothing, absolutely a disappointing lack of offense!!

golf76
    Participant

I know it’s irrelevant but did all the Shad distraction this week contribute to this loss?

Packzingo
    Participant

Suppose to read:
    What DID I see….but you get the picture

Packzingo
    Participant

I don’t think so Jacoby, was as ineffective as I’ve seen…but I’ll give him a Pass!

Wufpacker
    Participant

I know it’s irrelevant but did all the Shad distraction this week contribute to this loss?

Define “contribute”.

golf76
    Participant

Define “contribute.”

Sudden loss of a team mate that had been counted on during the past 3/4 years without time to muddle through the seven stages of grief. Almost like a death of a close friend.

I don’t know. Probably too philosophical. But that stuff does affect the stability and performance of organizations.

TheCOWDOG

The entire week has been played out in bad mojo around Raleigh.

The atmosphere in the parking lots reaked bad mojo. Tailgating was forced, bad mojo.

13 straight days of rain is bad mojo.

Fumbles not finding home team, bad mojo.

Punt team pissing away downed balls, bad mojo.

Black unis on a black day, bad mojo.

Sun come soon.

RedReid
    Participant

I admit, I’m disappointed. L’ville is a solid football program. I’m going to say that again. L’ville is a solid football program. We went “toe to toe” with them in what may turn out to be one of the most evenly matched games we will play all year. Their record did not reflect who they are and we knew that coming in. One of the first things I recall Coach D saying when he took this job is he told the players, “guys, I promise you that the team that makes the least amount of mistakes will win the ACC.” He is not dumb. We will get better. We made the mistakes today. Pretty simple. The two turnovers cost us the game today. Let’s move on.

Wulfpack
    Participant

This game just goes to show how meaningless early season records are. 1-3 Lville against 4-0 NC State. But Lville played a schedule. And it showed today. When it’s all said and done I still think the Cards are third or fourth best team in the league. They likely all reside in our division.

tractor57
    Participant

Today ‘ville was the better team on the field. We could have been but we were not. Next week hopefully will be different.

Avid109
    Participant

While this loss was disappointing, it’s not the end of the world. The two turnovers were the difference in the game. After what looked like a sure score turned into a big play touchdown for the Cards, our offense played like they were afraid of making a mistake the rest of the game. It’ll be interesting to see how the players and the coaching staff respond to this setback with two tough road games coming up next.

inhoc…
    Participant

Two excellent reasons why I always ask my self why I come back here to read up on things Wolfpack Related:

Think we didn’t miss Shadrach Thornton?

Out of all the mitigating factors to consider the loss today, this is front and center?

L’ville is a solid football program. I’m going to say that again. L’ville is a solid football program.

Louisville was not good today at all. period. They were on the road with a freshman QB and stole a division win. VT is a trainwreck without their QB too, are we going to start hearing about how good they are next?

BJD95
    Keymaster

The OL was the problem, not the backs running behind it (though Dayes’ hands WERE a problem). Ville whipped our asses in the trenches. Our DL showed up in the 2nd half to keep it respectable, thank God.

But a respectable loss is still a loss, and I am very disappointed in how we played.

That said, shit does happen. Case in point…Jawja. Had we played a better team today, we’d had our asses handed to us in a similar fashion.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Two excellent reasons why I always ask my self why I come back here to read up on things Wolfpack Related:

Think we didn’t miss Shadrach Thornton?

Out of all the mitigating factors to consider the loss today, this is front and center?

L’ville is a solid football program. I’m going to say that again. L’ville is a solid football program.

Louisville was not good today at all. period. They were on the road with a freshman QB and stole a division win. VT is a trainwreck without their QB too, are we going to start hearing about how good they are next?

You’re right, they didn’t play well (Jeebus, their WRs) overall. But their DL showed up from Jump Street. That was the difference. And their play calling was much, much better.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Couple of comments….some agree with others….some not.

First, as CD says….it RAINED and RAINED….we have had 10 straight days of rain. That does cause some “mojo” issues. However, with our NEW IPF, we practiced in the dry and the artificial sun was shining. When I was in Boston last year, I attended the last “open” practice at Gillette. The Eagles were also there and they scrimmaged. It was CROWDED as there was a front coming in for the LAST open practice. The Eagles cancelled….but the Pat’s actually worked out inside Gillette and said that it was great for them to get “real world” workouts as you could not control Sunday’s weather. SO, we could not control today’s weather and practiced INSIDE.

The turnovers were probably the biggest difference. What lead to them….maybe not knowing HOW to handle or keep possession of WET BALLS. The fumble after the long reception on the 5 Yd line early on sort of took the “MoJo” out of the offense. They found a few drops of it later….but not enough to satisfy their thirst….and they STARVED.

Play callings….agree…..when it DON’T work, why keep calling it over and over? CD will have to weigh in and comment…..as I am just a “WTF call” observer from the stands.

Defense DID make some adjustments at the half. BUT, not enough. The QB Keeper (run to both sides….and was Louisville’s FIRST score) was a killer. BUT, even in the second half, Louisville was running it and getting yardage and first downs. SO, the tweaking was not enough.

We were totally dominated on first downs. That upset our normal routine or cadence for the next two downs. When we were 2nd & 10 or 2nd and 14 or even 2nd & 8, we got out of our normal rhythm…..and lost our Offensive MoJo.

We could NOT get stops when we needed to. We could not make yardage (3rd downs) when we needed to. Jacoby was “off” a little….maybe he was not USED to throwing wet balls. We fumbled….

In ALL fairness, I thought the officiating was probably as bad as I have seen. I first thought that Ron Cherry and Company were there. YES, I had a partisan view….but the lack of “Holding Calls” on offense were either Stupidity, Blindness or Bias.

The REfs did NOT lose the game for us….but they sure made it difficult for us to maintain momentum. The officiating did not provide a level playing field.

UNC is about ready to surprise and “UPSET” the Yeller Jackets….and there will be UNC Crowing all week….GO TECH….

tractor57
    Participant

‘roon not so sure the refs caused any decision as you say but they were bloody awful. The good guys simply were not up to the task today. The “ville has a good team and to beat a good team you have to be ‘gooder’

Three things really worry me:

Offensive Line
    FG/Extra Point Kicker
    Offensive Play Calling

the lack of tackling and general team body language also did not bode well.

However, my motto is you are never as good as you think when you win nor as bad as you think when you lose. With a few exceptions.

PS Recruiting is starting to worry me as I look on Rivals.com etc.

Go Pack!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Shadrach had left the building….
    and that was the difference.

I support Coach DD…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    john of sparta
    Participant

double-dip: we lost at home, Holes win on the road.
    bottom line: it’s all about 11/28.
    little else matters.

TheCOWDOG

^
    You worry too much.

Canada did not have a good day…OVERALL. Except for the deep slant that got coughed up on the 5.

No…Brissett did not have a good day. OL did not have a very good day.

Exactly what the fux would you guys be calling from the booth today? Huh?

Gowolves
    Participant

There are turnovers and then there is change of possessions. Yeah those turnovers hurt but you got to get off the field. They had two drives over 90 yards that resulted in TD’s. One of those turnovers resulted in one of those drives. Would you feel different had the Pack gone for it inside the 5 and it resulted in a turnover on downs? Not blasting the D because they played well enough to win. The offense just didn’t make plays. Pretty straight forward to me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.