NYT factually inaccurate in article – Dean Smith’s shadow looming over scandal

Home Forums All StateFansNation NYT factually inaccurate in article – Dean Smith’s shadow looming over scandal

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Don’t have a lot of time right now…so, want to share this as quickly as we could. Link As I skim the article, the first thing I note that the UNC PR
    [See the full post at: NYT factually inaccurate in article – Dean Smith’s shadow looming over scandal]

Clarksa
    Participant

Great job…I’d love to see how bad you can destroy their BS if you had more time. đŸ™‚

Pack84
    Participant

Well of course that dirty SOB started the entire thing. But at this point I’d be happy with the NCAA simply holding their feet to the fire for 93-forward……..

Yet here we all sit into the SIXTH YEAR of this thing and still no resolution in sight.

MrPlywood
    Participant

PLease send that info to the NYT.

tractor57
    Participant

Quite interesting to read the comment to the article. When I read none really supporting UNX in this.

Texpack
    Participant

” Pat Kennedy said this about UNC: “Gary Williams will tell you this, most of the coaches in the ACC felt that Carolina was a fraud in that they walked around like they were Stanford or Vanderbilt or Northwestern, but they weren’t, they were not even Duke. They took the most exceptions the last few years of Dean Smith’s career they took the most exceptions of any school in the ACC. Meaning kids that would not normally get accepted into the university, that were accepted to the university to play sports. I remember one year at Carolina they had five exceptions starting on their men’s basketball team. So they were taking guys with very low level qualifications and then they would keep them eligible. By putting them in these courses. So if a guy was close to not being eligible and his GPA was a 1.8 he would then take a couple of these courses and his GPA would be up to 2.4 and then everybody took a deep breath and they did it again.”
    “And the thing about the coaches not knowing about it in football it’s possible because the coaches at different positions would know about it, but it may not get to the head coach. But in basketball the head coach would know about it because he would have to approve dropping classes and getting into another class to stay eligible for graduation.”

This is my favorite quote/fact out of the entire scandal. Dean Smith just happened to start taking more academic exceptions at the same time the AFAM fraud system was set up. Just one big coincidence. Yeah right.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Quite interesting to read the comment to the article. When I read none really supporting UNX in this.

The vast majority of the commenters “get it”. It took a long time for this to reach the national stage, and longer still for people to realize exactly what went on and to finally accept that the carolina way was a sham. Now the learning disability diagnosis prong is getting more play. unx hires an integrity officer. The court of public opinion might actually force the NCAA’s hand.

SaccoV
    Participant

I was sad to see Joe Nocera’s name attached to this Smith-fluff. Nocera has written some good articles in the past about various aspects of the college athletics myth, but for him to put this tripe out was truly disappointing. In addition, the outing of BlueDevilicious’s real name seems like the most actual investigating he did in this story, and BD soon after altered his handle on Twitter.

Adventuroo
    Participant

My take on this, from reading a lot and also trying to sort fact from fiction is that Dean E. Smith was the person that visited Kansas and SAW their AFAM department. He immediately then started campaigning for such. Now DES was the epitomy of the Leaning Left Liberal. When he championed AFAM, it was heralded as ultra progressive. SO, DES enlisted a person of impeccable skills at “snake oil selling”. Bring in the equivalent of Professor Harold Hill….Johnny Boy Swofford. Swoff was the point man. He got the Faculty Senate to endorse the proposal…and BINGO….AFAM at UNC was born. Remember its DNA came from Kansas where DES had his roots.

NOW….think back a little. WHO was the Kansas Coach….Old Huckleberry Roy Williams. Roy brought the latest Czar of Kansas’ AFAM, Wayne Walden. You remember Mr. Walden. In ORW’s book, he said that Wayne was more valuable than ANY assistant coach and he HAD to have him at UNC. NOW, when the feces hit the high speed rotating HVAC air movement device, guess WHO jumped ship? Why Wayne of course. He was incognito for a LONG time, but high $$ Kenny did, I think, interview him and of COURSE, he “KNEW NOTHING”.

So, when you follow the REAL history, DES was the daddy of the AFAM Department…and ORW, along with WW (not of the Dixie Dance Kings) refined it for UNC.

Wonder WHY the NYT reporters can’t figure this out.

BJD95
    Keymaster

DES was your typical PHONY ivory tower liberal.

Jim Valvano was also a liberal, but the right kind (even if you didn’t agree with his politics). He believed everybody deserved a chance, and a helping hand to open a door of opportunity. But he surely never had a plan based on paternalistic racism ASSUMING disadvantaged black kids COULDNT learn and needed to be given made-up classes and degrees.

The abject, cynical racism of the Swoffy/Dean scheme (and AT LEAST one of them HAD to be intimately involved in its creation) is by far the most underreported facet.

BJD95
    Keymaster

V’s problem was that he wasn’t cynical ENOUGH (or at all). He truly believed he could help any and every kid.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Any other school would have been given the death penalty by now. Brace yourselves for a wrist slap.
    My many years of hate are totally justified.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I didn’t think it was possible to hate them any more intensely but I keep being surprised on a near-daily basis.

Hopefully they land in WVU’s bracket and The King of Track Suits rips OL Roy a new one.

Rick
    Keymaster

Nothing is going to happen to those cheaters. Combine the NCAas lack of action on this with the decline of the watchability of college basketball and our suckage and I just don’t watch it. I used to love it, now I just don’t care.
    More free time with the kids.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

He (Valvano) truly believed he could help any and every kid.

Yes… at his core he was 100% Coach…

After Charles Scott arroove on the Hole (1965)…
    Smith aspired to a bigger agenda (change the world while keeping his coaching job)….

It’s sad but true… in both cases Money, Power and the Sinful Nature of Man corrupt everything pure ….
    and both men had “plenty of help” surrounding them…

I’ve heard rumors of a new book coming out….

Dean E. Smith, the Man and the Myth

by Bob Lee and Jay Smith

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    inhoc…
    Participant

When will something be realeased from the NCAA regarding UNCs response to the NOA? Last I heard they self reported additional “violations” witch bought them more time, but that was months ago. Shouldn’t there be action soon?

tractor57
    Participant

Still on the clock with UNX’s revised “self reporting” – no doubt a self serving plan.

TheCOWDOG

Yes, and from what I get…the revised NOA will contain a bit more than what UNx expected.

The NCAA is going to punch them square in the mouth, but what was expected for Spring, will most likely come heading into the Fall semester.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

There are worse places to be punched, but I’ll take the mouth.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The title of the NYT article has been bugging me. It should be “UNC Scandal Fallout Looms Large Over Dean Smith”.

inhoc…
    Participant

witch bought them more time

Which* don’t know if that was autocorrect or what!

So who’s court is the ball in, so to speak? Can’t believe the timeline is already pushed to next fall.

Is the NCAA still digesting these new “violations”? Will a new NOA be handed down, essentially starting the process over?

tractor57
    Participant

Last I knew it was in the UNX court but I might be behind the curve. Regardless the last minute “revision” started the clock at zero once again.

freshmanin83
    Participant

With as many problems that they have at unx they can probably keep self reporting and prolong the chicanery for another 5 or 10 years. Just self report ever so often and start the clock over.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^83…

you might be on to something here…

let’s watch this… third time around the track proves your “theory”…
    in which case the pressure on the NCAA to act becomes unbearable…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Tau837
    Participant

Yes, and from what I get…the revised NOA will contain a bit more than what UNx expected.

The NCAA is going to punch them square in the mouth, but what was expected for Spring, will most likely come heading into the Fall semester.

:popcorn:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.