NST: Explanation for 'Shackleford amphibious' memories

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk NST: Explanation for 'Shackleford amphibious' memories

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

I think it is #7 that explains it all in the list of Top 10 tricks our brains play on us:

Deacon Blues
    Participant

The inter web is covered up in the quote, what are we misremembering?

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m sure that’s a great video, but I’ll never see it, since there’s an unskippable ad where the only option is to play more ads.

It’s also a classic example of how web tracking goes wrong, since it’s pitching me a cancer drug.

44rules
    Participant

Yeah, not going to watch the video either. I’m at work, so the noise isn’t cool for watching videos. However, I was in the Technician offices when the reporter came back from the game with the Shack quote. I think it was a game against Maryland.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

tjfoose1
    Participant

He said it. I saw and heard it. I remember instantly thinking it would become infamous.

StateFans
    Keymaster

…I’m not going to get into the debate again. It was never televised. It was never recorded. Nobody ever saw or heard him say it on any recorded media. But, people clearly think they did!

tjfoose1
    Participant

Not so Statefans.

I realize you won’t be convinced, so we’ll just have to have a gentlemen’s disagreement. It happened. He did say it. My entire suite did not have a mass hallucination. Neither did the friends and classmates that discussed it in the following days.

There’s a lot of things that happened in the 80’s that can’t be found on video today.

Gowolves
    Participant

Foose, I heard it without a doubt in my mind.

Mike
    Participant

No question, I heard it also.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Was going through the NC State online archives a few months back and came across this article in the Technician. Not trying to start this debate again, but it does point to how ingrained the alleged comment was in the NC State culture back in 1988.

April 15, 1988 Technician Sport Page

p.s. If you ever have a few minutes, go through a few copies of the Technician during your era (mid 80’s for me) and refresh your memory with regard to what they were writing about.

choppack1
    Participant

Foose – when did you see it?

44 rules says it was after a Umd state game – I watched a lot of basketball and will put my memory against anyone’s. I don’t remember it – I remember an incident which could have caused the issue, but I don’t remember the comment.

And the funny thing – when this topic comes up on State boards – you will see 10 different people aware they heard it after 10 different games.

44rules
    Participant

Actually, I said I “think” it was a Maryland game. But I’m not really sure. I know I was in the office when the reporter came back laughing about it. It was in response to a post-game question about whether he shot the jump hook better with his left hand or his right hand.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

gso packbacker
    Participant

And the funny thing – when this topic comes up on State boards – you will see 10 different people aware they heard it after 10 different games.

I remember it being after a flight home from an away game (Kansas?) which just speaks to Chop’s point. Given all that, I highly doubt he ever actually said just that.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I’m with Foose. I distinctly remember not only seeing it but also sitting around a lunch table the next day back at school getting razzed by childhood UNC and WFU fans, and laughing about it as a youngster. I don’t remember the game. Explaining to the internet generation that the absence of video or news on the interweb doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist is futile. My line of work requires a bit more creativity in research, but my bet, it’s out there on a reel or cassette somewhere.

Adventuroo
    Participant

The cast of thousands….and IF YOU WERE THERE…..then this is not addressed at you….

Based on comments from a LOT of Wolfpack historians, it was actually Jimmy V. that kept this alive. He would tell it in a non-demeaning way (he could tell the President that he was as dumb as he acts and Obama would laugh along with it and later use it in a speech….as being positive…..) that was V’s “Touch”.

I really liked the McQueen Quote….which was totally attributed to Valvano….”Why did I choose NC State. I wanted to get out of the South”.

BUT, perhaps the BEST of the OMG….did he really SAY THAT lines….

A few years ago when the FB Coaches show was LIVE from the Backyard Bistro, Mark Thomas was helping Tony out and going around from table to table and talking about the food and the meals. There was one dish that had Bacon Bits on it. One, if not the TOP ONE, of Mark’s favorites is Bacon Bits. He quipped a line, “you could put Bacon Bits on a TURD and it would be fabulous”. Not the exact quote….but the T word was uttered… I think that the place just went quiet for a few seconds and Tony chimed in….”My, Mark, its nice that we’re having weather, isn’t it”. My wife and I were driving and listening to it and I almost ran off the road laughing. She confirmed that he actually said that.

Back in the old days when I was DJ’ing for the Campus Radio, WRAL and the Country Station on Hillsboro, that would have been a STILL FCC $$ Fine. Not today….times have changed…..

44rules
    Participant

Whiteshoes, doubtful it’s on tape anywhere. Back then many reporters didn’t even use tape recorders. And the ones that we had were pretty crappy and difficult to hear.

FergusWolf
    Participant

My point would be, it doesn’t really even matter if he said, V said it, or someone completely made it up. It’s still NC State history and we love it.

I was going to ask if anyone has discussed it Shackleford himself, but then realized that 259,000 people would immediately call me an idiot.

So, I’m an idiot

But, given the general win/loss ratio at the time, and our standing in the ACC, I’d much prefer to be back in that stratosphere and discussing the stupid things our players said, vs. constantly bickering about our coach.

Texpack
    Participant

I thought the quote was part of a CBS news report where they covered State and Duke in the days leading up to a game between the two. It was designed to paint State a certain way and Duke another way and it did.

Classof89
    Participant

^
    This thread is amusing and insightful as to how various people’s brains process and store memories, and how stuff gets lumped together after the fact. Texpack is referring to a “48 Hours” report that aired in March of 1988, just as all the stuff was breaking on Valvano’s program. review of program

tjfoose1
    Participant

It was as some said above, part of a tv newsmag (think it was 48 hours) coverage of Duke and NC State leading up to the game. Not coverage of the game itself, but of the programs, and by extension, college basketball in general. There was, of course, slight digs at State is subtle bias references and contrasts to Duke.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Texpack is referring to a “48 Hours” report that aired in March of 1988, just as all the stuff was breaking on Valvano’s program. review of program

Except “all that stuff… breaking on Valvano’s program” didn’t break in 1988. That didn’t happen till, I think, the spring of 1990.

“amusing and insightful” huh? Oops.

Standing above the fray in its midst.

tjfoose1
    Participant

It was in response to a post-game question about whether he shot the jump hook better with his left hand or his right hand.

True that. And he was with two teammates at the time.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I do not know if the actual video at the time was 48 Hours video, or an inclusion of a local news post game. If it was the former, there is a chance it exists, somewhere. If it was the later, there’s slim to none, as such video was not saved and archived in those days. It was simply taped over.

choppack1
    Participant

Foose – in the 48 hours episode there was a blurb similar to what you described. However, his was not the infamous “amphibious” quote.

Rather, he was with 2 teammate (I think one of them was Corch) – he was asked about the aforementioned Leisure class. He replied that you had to balance out your hard classes with easy ones.

When asked for examples of those classes he replied “history, math and science” or something like that.

Also, in this episode, the 48 hours crew “busted” Kelsey Weems skipping class. They asked him what coach would think about that. He said “Coach gonna be mad.”

The 48 hours then shows just how much times have changed. The “scandal” back then was that these kids were in no way qualified to be college students. The “scandal” now is that these kids aren’t getting paid.

NCSU88
    Participant

Page 168 -“Valvano: They gave me a lifetime contract, and then they declared me dead”
    “Every season with the increased visibility of ohr program on television, we always fot cards and letters from fans critiquing the players’ postgame interviews. I always told the team to try in these exchanges to offer smething interesting, different, matbe some kry word which would make them sound better. After our final victory, against Clemson in the ACC tournament, Shack was asked how he came to be so effective with either hand.
    “Yeah, well coach told me to work on being more amphibious,” Shack said. Which wouldn’t have been so bad except he announced that his coach had said it.
    “Yeah, well, you should see Shack in the pool, I said.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.