No Bones About It — Demon Deacons in the PNC tonite….

Home Forums StateFans Basketball No Bones About It — Demon Deacons in the PNC tonite….

Viewing 9 posts - 101 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

From 72-75… between State, Maryland, UN*, Duke and Virginia… there were NO gimmes…
    Every game between those teams was like the ACC Tournament Championship game…

I really miss playing the Twerps in basketball …

Maybe one day, after Dr. Debbie is retired… we both agree to put a game back on the permanent schedule – alternating between Raleigh and College Park…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    freshmanin83
    Participant

It’s a whole lot more fun winning than losing, eh?

Breaking news this just in … and water is wet. : )

freshmanin83
    Participant

1983 was awesome with the cardiac Pack. Beat uncheat with Jordan and Virginia with Sampson both twice that season not to mention Huston phi slamma jamma for the Championship. Saw the unx defeat at Reynolds. Sweet. The end of season campus party was legendary.

Fastback68
    Participant

We need some new memories. I want State to Bennie Bolton punch the Canes right in the mouth from the get go. Some wake players were getting chippy because State players were grinding them on defense. Maybe Batts can Django somebody.

Greywolf
    Participant

1983 was awesome with the cardiac Pack. Beat uncheat with Jordan and Virginia with Sampson both twice that season not to mention Huston phi slamma jamma for the Championship. Saw the unx defeat at Reynolds. Sweet. The end of season campus party was legendary.

They may have had the Phi Slamma Jamma but IIRC we opened and closed the game with a dunk. Houston may have had one dunk if any at all. Their holding the ball and slowing the game down was a gift beyond belief.

Greywolf
    Participant

Guy Lewis should have known to “dance with the one you brung” and what got Houston to the dance was a high-flying, slamma jamma offense.

YogiNC
    Participant

Best game I saw was vs Maryland…Lefty with McMillan, O’Brien, Elmore, Lucas,Bodell,and Howard. At that time the teams were, #2 and #3. IMHO Reynolds finest days.

That was the best season EVER in the ACC, bar none. That particular game has been referred to many times by those in the know as the best game of all time. I know I had no fingernails left and I was completely rung out (old washing machine phrase) at the end of it.

As for the Houston game, Guy never saw V’s game plan coming. I was in the Navy stationed down in Charleston at the time. I had shipmates giving me 20 points on that game. I kept telling them V would not let them Phi, Slam, nor Jam and he didn’t. They told me I was crazy. Tuesday morning they all avoided me at every turn. Almost the the most fun day I ever had in the Navy. The most fun day I can’t discuss, LOL.

Smarter than the average bear

freshmanin83
    Participant

Guy Lewis should have known to “dance with the one you brung” and what got Houston to the dance was a high-flying, slamma jamma offense.

IIRC he slowed his team down because they were feeling the altitude especially Olajuwon who was sucking oxygen on the sideline. Lewis wanted him for the whole game and was afraid that if he pushed the tempo too much he would lose him. Seems like they pushed the tempo at the beginning of the 2nd half and then shut it down to try and preserve a lead.

I remember the dunks like you do. The commentators had made such a big deal of it leading up to the game that I tried to pay attention like you I think it was two dunks for us and one for them.

tractor57
    Participant

The Pack won 2 dunks to 1 – Guy Lewis said before the game the team with the most dunks wins. He was right. If you haven’t seen the 30 for 30 on that Houston team you should watch – they still believe the game was taken from them. I would also watch the Whittenberg produced 30 for 30 on Valvano.

Viewing 9 posts - 101 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.