No Bones About It — Demon Deacons in the PNC tonite….

Home Forums StateFans Basketball No Bones About It — Demon Deacons in the PNC tonite….

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

As for the game, I felt it was a tale of two halves more than a good last four minutes.

I don’t disagree… but the during the last 4-6 minutes, we dominated, especially on the ‘mental’ side of things…
    That plus coaching gets wins you might not otherwise get…

Beating Miami (if we could do it) would be huge.

THIS !!!

LET’s DO THIS !

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Fastback68
    Participant

^SECONDED

skitchwolf
    Participant

Prior to the Duke game and in spite of the Arizona game, I thought if we won even ONE ACC game it would be a miracle. The Duke game (coupled with the Arizona game in a new light because of the Duke game) raised my expectations. The Clemson game only solidified my expectations and now I’m watching the home games, at least, with some enthusiasm! I found myself fully expecting to beat Wake and getting thoroughly p**sed off at the 3-ball-heave-fest that cost us that first half lead. It is a huge testament to Coach KK that he has taken this cobbled-together line up and made them competitive in the toughest conference in the NCAA. That makes this old Wolfpacker smile! We all know that things could go totally belly-up at any moment (Wolfpack s**t) but every indicaton to this point is that Coach KK is the real deal! Woohoo! Go Pack!

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I don’t disagree… but the during the last 4-6 minutes, we dominated, especially on the ‘mental’ side of things…

I would go back and rewatch the last 5 minutes if the game had been against someone in the top half of the conference. WF made a lot of mistakes down the stretch…10 sec violation and several turnovers. I’m not sure if State dominated or if WF collapsed. Either way it was a win and I’ll take it.

Miami ranks nationally in the Top 10 in defense…both in opponent’s pts per game and in effective defense in Pomeroy’s rankings. State needs to do a lot better on offense than it did against UVA to beat Miami.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’m not sure if State dominated or if WF collapsed.

Sorry I forgot I was talking to ‘engineers’….

To be precise, the way I saw it was we GOT in their HEADS and thereafter it was a case of both… as the two cases are inversely dependent on each other, not mutually exclusive…

GO PACK!

tractor57
    Participant

Regardless when it came to crunch time the Pack was there last night. Maybe they out played WF at the time or maybe WF folded like a cheap tent. Either way I’ll take it.

ryebread
    Participant

vawolf: It seems like you see the game much like I did. I’m not sure we won the game in the last four minutes so much as Wake collapsed on the road. They didn’t think they could win, caught a couple of bad breaks and folded. Credit goes to State for hitting just enough shots and free throws to not let Wake think they could win it. That’s not a knock on State. We believe, know we could do it, had the home crowd and got it done.

We did win the game, and we won it early in the second half. We were down five, and if Wake could have gotten that working lead to 5-10, they could have scored a huge road win. We came out, made the obviously needed adjustments (inside out and personnel), and pushed into the lead. That to me was halftime adjustments and coaching.

Miami will be a challenge. I honestly think they’ve got one of the best coaches in the ACC and arguably the best in game coach. If they get it close down near the end, Larranaga often times gets them to push through for a win. Granted, they often have a lot of upperclassmen, but they have them year over year so they’ve built a good program and pipeline. It will be a tough game against the type of team we have struggled against. It’s at home and Keatts seems to understand defending the home turf, so I do have hope.

Texpack
    Participant

I’m not sure if State dominated or if WF collapsed.

Sorry I forgot I was talking to ‘engineers’….

To be precise, the way I saw it was we GOT in their HEADS and thereafter it was a case of both… as the two cases are inversely dependent on each other, not mutually exclusive…

GO PACK!

I thought we got good shots. That was one key. Wake had multiple screw ups that were unforced, but at least one TO was forced by our pressure (not the 10 second call. That was RCD induced)

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

When I was down at FSU, I played some intramural ball…

The first thing that got my attention was the “South Florida Boys”… something in the blood and in the water down there…

Didn’t matter what the score was — late in every game, they had this reach back gear and ALL of ’em, little guys and big boys, were coming at you hard — physically and mentally. It was like they didn’t care about the score, just beating you…

Never saw that the same way anywhere else…

Somethings don’t change…

GO PACK!

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Miami will be a challenge. I honestly think they’ve got one of the best coaches in the ACC

Larranga took George Mason to the Final Four the same year that Sendek fled to the desert….and that’s all I’m going to say about that.

YogiNC
    Participant

Larranga took George Mason to the Final Four the same year that Sendek fled to the desert….and that’s all I’m going to say about that.

And he should have been our hire back then. And that’s all I’m going to say about THAT!

Smarter than the average bear

Pack1997
    Participant

Well I am sure the WF game was a little of both. Wake has collapse dun multiple games this year, so no doubt the lacked confidence. Confidence makes such a difference. For example if we don’t beat Duke and gain a ton of confidence from that win, do we beat Clemson? Living in Winston I have had the chance to watch Wake a lot. I will say, we have the better coach. I like Manning but his teams lack good guard play, and he seems to always get out coached on the sidelines. Larranga needs to retire, I am tired of going up against him.

rthomas44
    Participant

Did anyone hear Giminski say Thompson was the greatest player in the history of the ACC? And out of the mouth of a well respected Duke all American.

Texpack
    Participant

Did anyone hear Giminski say Thompson was the greatest player in the history of the ACC? And out of the mouth of a well respected Duke all American.

He not only said that, he said it wasn’t debatable

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^If you want confirmation on David… just ask Bobby Jones or Mitch Kupchak…
    and see if either one tells the truth….

fwiw.. Gminski didn’t get to Dook until ’77 so he didn’t go head to head on Tobacco Road with David…

POP!!!

Wolfanatic
    Participant

A favorite

wolfmanmat
    Participant

Also said that the 74 team was the greatest team in Ncaa history. Big praise from Mike. At least Dookies see the truth sometimes. Never get that from the other blue school.

tractor57
    Participant

But the ’73 team was the greatest.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

27-0

… and just to be clear for the young’ns… that’s 72-73

POP!!!

rthomas44
    Participant

That was my last year at State..
    sat courtside for as many as I could.
    Even hid in a bathroom with my classmate from 5 till 6 when the doors reopened for a freshman game to get good seats.

Greywolf
    Participant

It’s a whole lot more fun winning than losing, eh?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

That was my last year at State..

… and that was mu first year at State — along with Mr. Dog and a few others…
    Call that… “Continuity”

Me and my guys, took plenty of turns over the next 3 yrs, standing in line all night in front of Reynolds to get courtside seats…

worth every bit of the effort… no question ’bout it…
    and the kids today don’t have a clue what they’re missing…

POP!!!

YogiNC
    Participant

Hillsborough st was the biggest zoo I’ve ever seen after that Saturday afternoon when they beat UCLA. I can’t remember exactly where I saw this but a beer truck that was picked clean, roll-up doors on the sides were gone and so was the beer, and a VW bug balanced on top of a fire hydrant. That and a mass of people like I had never seen before. Some things defy description, that day certainly did.

Smarter than the average bear

ryebread
    Participant

I remember quite well Larranaga’s George Mason teams and Final Four run. That was one of the great mid-major runs in the tournament.

I also remember when we hire Gott, Maryland hired Turg and Miami hired Larrañaga. I was pretty vocal then that Miami made the best hire, and time has clearly proven that to be correct. I am a little surprised about how long he has stayed. It was said (maybe just spin by State people) that Larrañaga wanted Miami to already be in Florida for retirement and was going to have one foot out the door like TOB. It has not seemed that way to me.

I would agree with those saying that the kids today are missing something with no camp. I was there when State shut it down, and was at the last two camps. I will admit it got rowdy and I knew there’d be consequences after the second one and the need to roll the fire trucks through multiple times. At the same time, it is no wonder that we haven’t had our same student section “vigor” since then. The students are far more amped up when they have had to “earn” the ticket by sleeping in the cold for a couple of days.

rthomas44
    Participant

Best game I saw was vs Maryland…Lefty with McMillan, O’Brien, Elmore, Lucas,Bodell,and Howard. At that time the teams were, #2 and #3. IMHO Reynolds finest days.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.