NIT season will result from State’s own bad habits

Home Forums All StateFansNation NIT season will result from State’s own bad habits

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

May well be. Giant miss. Guy is a proven winner.

Packzingo
    Participant

I certainly can’t add any intelligent comments about our teams inability to play defense, enough has been printed. If its gotten better, I’m really scared. I will add that several weeks back I did comment about the “shooting mechanics” of several of our kids. Fortunately, soon after making that comment the kids seemed to start making more shots but for the last few games, those flawed mechanics have proven to be liabilities. (my comments were about poor arm, wrist and motion mechanics which just don’t add up to any consistency in shot percentages. just MHO). But it is what we have to work with……..
    We didn’t have high ceilings for this years group and there were some exciting games, unfortunately, we lost most of the close ones. Hopefully, there will be another run. But can you imagine how the folks at Kentucky feel? Cal is getting some heat for his system which I find humorous! Preseason No 1 projections and where are they?? Just lost to no. 180 on the rpi…….

Pack85EE
    Participant

This is just one big negative Blog. So right now we are about 1 position above where we were predicted to be and we have fired the coach, or at least determined that he will never get us where we need to go. Our young guys are not getting it done but I still think the program is trending upward with the quality of players coming in each year. I just hope you don’t get the coach fired before he gets the program rolling.

Yea, Duke should have fired their coach when Jimmy V built State up in a few years while Duke seemed to be trudging along. I’m sure they would have found someone a lot better.

ryebread
    Participant

The last two coaching searches were complete clusters. The “email” from Yow was as bad as the media circus that Fowler ran.

We seemingly had 2-3 good options that wanted to be here and ended up with a guy who was out of coaching. How we “Gott” here was and still is baffling.

Having said that, we have Gott now and should support him. The interesting thing to me is that this is the best coaching and staff we’ve had since V. It’s not to say that we should just accept it, but we should be mindful that our previous 3 coaches over the past 20 years were just bad.

I’m a little surprised at the level of backlash, typically given the number of games the staff has won in the time they have won them. We’ve gone from not competitive to a very tough out, danced twice, went to the Sweet 16 and have drastically improved.

People were talking about Lutz as the defensive guru and are saying that he sets the defense. Was he really that and does he really do that? I seem to remember the “defensive guru” stuff being tied into rumors of Dino. I’ve always thought of Lutz as an offensive guy and particularly one that helps shooters. That was seemingly his role at Iowa State and what his teams at Charlotte are good at.

I always thought year 3 would be tough due to Lowe’s scholarship spacing. Transfers haven’t helped us either. We basically have one Senior and the rest of the team are freshman and sophomores. That’s tough to win with, as Calipari is finding out for the second year in a row.

COWDOG hit on what I have been thinking and saying for two years. I think we’d be better served by playing a match up zone defense. We don’t play fundamentally sound man to man. Yes, we’ve held teams to low shooting percentages, but when we do that, we typically don’t pair it with good rebounding, help defense or with generating lots of turnovers.

I will admit we’ve squandered a huge amount of talent the last couple of years. Warren’s the best player we’ve had since Hodge and the best scorer we’ve had since Monroe. It will be sad to see him go so quickly, without the team meeting any higher goals.

I’m not making excuses, but I’d expected we’d lose against Miami. It’s tough to take a loss like UNC in the way it happened and not have that carry over. That’s especially true of a younger team with younger guards.

I see comments about Gott and recruiting. NC State has been able to recruit well at any time since Les. NC State will continue to be able to recruit well. As we’ve discussed here, coaches can recruit well because they’re at NC State. I’m not as worried about that.

The good news is that we’re stacking classes. That’s what it is going to take to get us over the top. You can’t beat UNC and Duke who have full teams worth of players with only 1/2 a team. When we add in the class next year, assuming we can keep everyone on board (well, except Warren), we’re one step closer. Follow that up with a class in 2015, and we’ll be one of the oldest, deepest, most talent teams in the league.

My biggest concern with Gott isn’t X’s and O’s, isn’t defense, isn’t recruiting and isn’t program management. It’s mental toughness. I don’t think he has it, and therefore it’s hard to impart that on his team. I think the mental element is the single biggest thing holding him back.

One other thing, for all those who think Gott’s going anywhere, any time soon, they really need to review his contract extension. It’s not exactly a contract for life, but it is one that I don’t think we’re going to buy out any time soon.

Gott is Yow’s coach. For Gott to get the hook, Yow seemingly will as well. This isn’t a coach that she inherited. This is one that she picked, and then immediately went to bat for to renegotiate the contract. To try and remove him would effectively mean she needs to be removed. Not happening. The same applies to DD in football. The fans should accept this and get on board.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… the way I’m seeing it and hearing it… Lutz is the details guy (on both ends of the floor) — that Gott’s not — Gott’s the media wiz and recruiter — that’s Lutz is not… but I don’t really know much else… except…

In theory, that’s a perfect match perhaps…. In practice.. as Rye points out… it’s a damn sight better than anything we’ve seen around here in the last twenty years… AND as I have said elsewhere… GOTT & Company has a whole lot of room on the UPSIDE as they continue to work together.

————–

It’s ironic… perhaps… but at the end of day… coaches and players both get evaluated on the same two common denominators…

1. split second decision making…
    2. ability to work and play well with others…

in the office…
    in practice…
    during the game…

It all counts and ultimately determines the Team’s true “success” beyond a won-loss record.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.