Nihiem Hines, 1 rush for 2 yards. 0 receptions

Home Forums StateFans Football Nihiem Hines, 1 rush for 2 yards. 0 receptions

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    inhoc…
    Participant

3 games into the season and there’s been hardly and production. There was all sorts of speculation amid the odd season about what he’d bring to the table. Does anyone have info on what’s going on? I haven’t seen him givin a solid chance to get out there. He’s had a couple drops in the previous games but that’s about it. You’d figure he’d be getting more reps not to ease into his role before the power 5 schools come to town.

Pack78
    Participant

Hines looked good last night on his KO returns; I think that is a good way to ease him in. With Dayes, Shad, JSam, etc. we have lots of offensive options.

BJD95
    Keymaster

My uneducated guess is that we need to keep TEs/max protect personnel in the game to shore up the leaky OL. Not getting into 3 wide sets means no slot WR on the field, ie no pass plays for young Mr. Hines.

TheCOWDOG

^ That is not so uneducated by any means.

Hines will have his days before ya know it.

Patience…for now. Gotta heal some heavies.

tjfoose1
    Participant

No rush. It’ll come.

packalum44
    Participant

Unfair expectations. This kid goes to any top half SEC school and no one knows who he is for 3 years. Not to mention he dropped some easy passes early on…your # doesn’t get called as often.

We need him and Cherry to develop into vertical threats by the time we play equal talent….without that dimension we are not a complete offense.

Greywolf
    Participant

We need him (Hines) and Cherry to develop into vertical threats by the time we play equal talent….without that dimension we are not a complete offense.

Romos and perhaps Trowell are deep threats. Our offense is apparently a ball control offense and a successful running game coupled with short passes to sure handed receivers is the key to a control offense. Our pass success rate and out TOP are/were leading the nation. We still are over 40 minutes TOP. Don’t know yet if Jacoby slipped from #1 after (for him) a sub-par passing performance.

We don’t run a spread offense to throw the ball, we use the spread to run the ball. If we get in situations where we need to throw deep and the DBs back off, our short passes with good RAC rates will do just fine. Until then I really like the way we are operating. Losing the TOP battle is discouraging and tends to create anxiety and force errors.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I agree with both of you. To me, at this point in the season, the efficacy of our vertical passing game is a ‘?’.

That may be by design.

BJD95
    Keymaster

RIGHT NOW, we can win playing it with efficient, ball control passing. It helps us dominate time of possession, and keeps Jacoby alive (while the OL is banged up and not jelled). Both are very crucial in setting us up for long-term success this season.

I certainly have faith that the staff knows we will have to open the playbook a bit when the level of difficulty increases.

redisgood
    Participant

It looks like Jacoby might be airing it out Saturday night against USA. Coach D is expecting them to put their safeties in the box to slow down the run, and as a result, he expects Brissett to have a big game passing. This may be the day we see Hines go deep. Cherry as well.

tractor57
    Participant

For many reasons I prefer a good ball control offense – especially in early season games when the OL is not settled. I suspect as the season progresses the offense will open up a bit.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Hit ’em where they ain’t.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I just look forward to go back into FULL SOVIET MODE Saturday night, Glorious Red Comrades.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Karl Marx in a party hat and flashing ‘gang’ signs. How can you not like that? Stalin, drunk as usual.

Wufpacker
    Participant

“FIRST DOWN!!!!” sez Vlad (I call him Vlad).

BJD95
    Keymaster

Ain’t no party like a Communist Party, cause a Communist Party don’ stop!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.