NFL Week 1 Open Thread

Home Forums StateFans Football NFL Week 1 Open Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Thursday 9/4
    Green Bay 16
    Seattle 36

Sunday 9/7
    1pm
    Buffalo @ Chicago
    Cleveland @ Pitt
    Cincy @ Baltimore
    New Orleans @ Atlanta
    Washington @ Houston
    Tennessee @ KC
    New England @ Miami
    Oakland @ NYJ
    Jax @ Philly
    Minnesota @ StLouis

4:25pm
    San Fran @ Dallas
    Carolina @ Tampa Bay

8:30pm
    Indy @ Denver

Monday 9/8
    7:10pm NYG @ Detroit
    10:20pm SD @ Arizona

Yay Football.

redcanine
    Participant

Anyone watching the Native Americans/ Texans game? Clowney went out with a knee and won’t return. Watt is the best! Flags galore in this one.

Fastback68
    Participant

Keep Glennon on the bench please.

Fastback68
    Participant

Nice drive, 4th down conversion, Benjamin looks solid, go panthers!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Wow Anderson looks great today … he’s in complete control so far. Panthers pretty impressive early.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The Bucs aren’t going to be able to score on the Panthers. This defense is freaking GOOD. Of course, the Bucs have a JV offense. Boy must Glennon be in the dumps. Lovie made it clear he wasn’t high on him.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Panthers run D has been spectacular.

Fastback68
    Participant

Sack McCown all you want but do not knock him out of the game. I know Glennon can throw deep and on target.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Dominant Panther D shuts them down again.

Anderson is as good of a backup as you can find. Remember he made the Pro Bowl in Cleveland. He and Cam are very tight. He can play when needed.

Fastback68
    Participant

Real deal, Benjamin!!!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Benjamin is a beast.

Fastback68
    Participant

How about that pass to Olsen? Laser!

Wulfpack
    Participant

And your NFL defensive player of the year seals it. Great divisional win playing with a backup QB.

Fastback68
    Participant

All hail Special K for punching that ball out. Next stop, Lions.

NCSU88
    Participant

So Nate Irving and Marvin “cupcake” Austin are playing defense together in Denver. Oh my…

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Wulfpack, you said “Boy Glennon must be in the dumps. Lovie made it clear he wasn’t high on him.”

I’m curious as to where you heard this, or are you inferring that Lovie isn’t high on him because he’s not starting?
    I’m a Bucs fan and a daily reader of the Tampa Bay Times. Now, I’m disappointed that Mike is the backup, but Lovie was clear when he named McCown the starter back in January and again before the draft: ” Just talking about our quarterback position: our quarterback position is as strong as, to me, any quarterback position I’ve had when I’ve been a head coach,” Smith said. “You know how much I like Josh McCown as our starter here, but I love Mike Glennon. Mike Glennon is our quarterback of the future here. Why would we want to add a third quarterback to the mix?”

The Bucs used pick number 7 in the draft to take Mike Evans. Manziel, Bridgewater, and Carr were all available to them, but they passed on them all. When you add in the fact that Bucs GM Jason Licht revealed that they had rebuffed trade offers from “at least a half-dozen teams for quarterback Mike Glennon, some of which inquired multiple times during the three day draft,” then you kind of have to take Lovie and Jason at their word. Lovie has said numerous times that Mike is the QB of the future, but that he felt that Mike needed some veteran tutoring. If you look back to the dumpster fire that was the 2013 Bucs, you have to admit that Josh Freeman was no help to Mike, and in fact, Mike was literally thrown into that fire in game number four. I’m going to thrust Lovie on this, due to the fact that he could have drafted a QB, or perhaps traded for one to backup McCown. For the time being I’m going to trust Lovie on his QB of the future words.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Not sure where I heard it, and trying to find the quote, but when Lovie came in he said Glennon was not a starting QB. Then he brings McCown in, a career journeyman and stinker of a QB. So while his rhetoric may point to Glennon being the guy in the future, his actions say otherwise. Glennon is a far better QB than McCown. If Lovie can’t see that now, he needs an adjustment. But Lovie has long needed an adjustment when it comes to offense.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Remember how stubborn Lovie was about Rex Grossman in Chicago? My worst fear is that he will be that way about McCown. McCown looked like a “stinker” yesterday with his two rookie mistakes that I doubt Glennon would have made. Glennon, while sometimes criticized, a bit unfairly I believe, last year by the local media, for his lack of mobility, he was praised by the same media for not doing what McCown did yesterday. I haven’t heard about the severity of Mankins injured knee, but if he’s out for a while, I’m not sure I want to see Mike behind that line. He had no line, running game, or depth at receiver last year, and so far the first two corps don’t appear to be much improved. I guess it will take an injury for Mike to get in the game as long as the “Second Coming of Dungy” is in charge.

redcanine
    Participant

Ravens Released Ray Rice.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Lovie is irrationally loyal to his starting QB’s. Glennon did a good job under horrible circumstances last year. Sitting this year will help him in the long run, but he’d be much better off with a veteran like Hasselbeck on the roster as opposed to McCown. Too bad Denver didn’t trade for him.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.