New plaque in Murphy Center lobby

Home Forums All StateFansNation New plaque in Murphy Center lobby

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Another big step in Coach Doeren’s connection with the NC State community and culture. I don’t know who came up with the idea of putting this up; but,
    [See the full post at: New plaque in Murphy Center lobby]

pakfanistan
    Participant

“It’s a great sentiment, but I think it’s a little weird to hang up your own quote.”

-pakfanistan

Classof89
    Participant

Is it just me being grumpy, or is this the thing you used to do AFTER Doeren retires 15 years from now with a record of 14-1 vs. UNC? Seems to me to be a reflection of our instant gratification culture. He beats the Heels once and we put up a plaque like he’s some sort of guru. Sort of silly to do it in year 2. After all, we did finish 8-5, and midseason, the consensus seemed to be that Doeren was in the middle of a steep learning curve in terms of on-field and game management decisions. Sure that record is a big improvement, but lets put it in perspective–it’s still not relevant nationally. If we proceed to lose the next five years vs. UNC (God forbid), I think this is one plaque that (like the abominable and plagiarized “Our State” campaign) is quietly dismantled and thrown in the dumpster…

gso packbacker
    Participant

Sure, hanging up your own quote is a little unusual, but it seems the intent is to communicate a message to the players (just like “1 Pack 1 Goal”) about who this team is going to be. If he placed it inside the stadium or if it was about how they crushed the Cheats then I might agree.

PackAttacker
    Participant

Quit the griping about Doeren. He is a motivator and is doing his best to get the guys and future recruits to believe in the program. Some of these post sound like your back in the Monte Kiffin days, always bitching about something!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Sure, hanging up your own quote is a little unusual, but it seems the intent is to communicate a message to the players (just like “1 Pack 1 Goal”) about who this team is going to be. If he placed it inside the stadium or if it was about how they crushed the Cheats then I might agree.

^I agree. It’s akin to any other ‘who we are / what we’re about’ motivational message.

TheCOWDOG

JesusHchritinasidecar.
    Coach Doeren has nothing to do with it being displayed.

It’s a game momento, hung in the place where cool game momentos reside.

redcanine
    Participant

As far as quotes go, it’s a darn good one. We are the salt of the earth. Someone should have said it 30 years ago.

Greywolf
    Participant

Isn’t it wonderful that a couple of people can find something wrong with a quote that is almost universally being adopted as speaking who we of NC State and the players are? It’s the best descriptive statement defining our school I’ve seen in my 60 years of being associated with NC State. I don’t think we need to wait 15 years to display this. Nor do I think we will be throwing it in the trash — ever.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Just in case it’s not clear, I love the quote.

Greywolf
    Participant

Just in case it’s not clear, I love the quote.

It wasn’t clear and I’m glad you made it clear. “‘Tis better to have posted and had it deleted, than never to have posted at all” Either one would work. 😉

I’m waiting on “grumpy” to retract his POS comment.

It’s Doeren’s quote, but he didn’t hang it. It was hung by staff who want people entering the Murphy Center to know where they are and who they will be running with — if they are tough people, because that is what this football team will be…

Greywolf
    Participant

Plagiarism Alert:

Seen hanging in the EweNC football center:

“This is a white-collar school, not a work ethic, hands in the dirt school,” Fedora said. “It’s a journalism school, a drama school, a philosophy school and a Swahili language school. It is founded by softies and swishers. That is what this football team will be, and that is what we were Nov. 29th.”

“Furthermore, it’s a lie that the Wolfpack ate our lunch. We withheld the meal money.”

McCallum
    Participant

The school is over 50% chics now.

Limp wristed CHASS graduates are pouring out of State by the thousands.

In a play to be more social, some extroverted engineers from State are staring at other peoples shoes instead of their own while speaking.

Hardly a school of people with their fingers in the dirt.

But the sign is so NC Statish, there is just something cheap and fleeting about the whole thing. It also reminds me that someone had been feeding Doeren the whole “history of NC State” thingy so he clamped on the agriculture and engineering mantra.

FYI: the end of season 5 of Downton Abbey was excellent.

McCallum

1 AD (after dean)

WolftownVA81
    Participant

If it helps communicate to the players the kind of work ethic the coach is looking to instill than who am I to argue with it. Go Pack.

TheCOWDOG

McCallum,
    There are plenty of mushroom growin’, chicken feedin’, plant variatin’, horse breedin’, steer manurin’, swine callin’, sheep sheerin’, kids over yonder that, thank goodness, would put us both on ignore.

Plenty of black finger nails looking for ways to feed our appetites, and maybe put a little green on the palm, too.

Phrase works for me.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I love the quote. But hanging it seems a bit cheeseballs to me.

redcanine
    Participant

English majors can mix concrete and run a chainsaw too!

State grads put in a good day’s work. That’s all.

Gowolves
    Participant

MacCullum, let me get this straight you post like you have two brain cells fighting for attention then say oooooh I love Downtown Abby. That’s like drinking red wine with fish. That dog don’t hunt. Just sayin.

redcanine
    Participant

^ I think he’s saying that even aggies, texies, and engines can appreciate British culture without having earned a fru-fru degree. Makes a good point. However, the inverse is also true. A buddy of mine, a history major, is a pretty successful contractor. Go find one of those from Hole Hill.

Greywolf
    Participant

Don’t talk about the farmers with your mouth full.

Wufpacker
    Participant

This thread is very educational.

McCallum
    Participant

I’m saying that all that talk about “hard work” is rarely mentioned by people that “work hard”.

The idea of humility appears to be beyond those folks in Raleigh that build the PNC, harass the students at every chance, build fake rock walls, and hang plaques about hard work.

It also elevates unc again, giving them more existential qualities than they deserve.

No more bad comments about Downton Abbey or I’ll club you over the head with my dog earred copy of Ideas Have Consequences.

I can envision English majors mixing concrete in a work camp as they are re-educated in an attempt to beat the white guilt/diversity/cultural Marxism out of them.

McCallum

1 AD (after dean)

BJD95
    Keymaster

Don’t make us summon Lenin Cat to give you all Glorious Re-education about the value of the proletariat to Glorious Red Struggle.

McCallum
    Participant

Public shooting of any and all Comintern members is a duty.

No left turn at the Enlightenment for me.

McCallum

1 AD (after dean)

McCallum
    Participant

Gowolves,

You read akin to a Millennial cliche spouting machine. You’ve provided terrible grammar and sentence structure as well.

McCallum

1 AD (after dean)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.