New ACC Logo – Full Of Sound And Fury Signifying Nothing

Home Forums All StateFansNation New ACC Logo – Full Of Sound And Fury Signifying Nothing

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    WV Wolf
    Keymaster

The ACC revealed their new logo today and there are a few things to discuss. To start off, the ACC was teasing a big announcement for today. Yet earli
    [See the full post at: New ACC Logo – Full Of Sound And Fury Signifying Nothing]

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I’m glad the old Big East teams will feel more at home.

StateRed44
    Participant

I like it. Its more aggressive. We need to get out of the “good ole boy” mindset because frankly, we were kicked out of that club. We have a nice beginning of a rivalry with Syracuse. I wanted out of the ACC, looks like this is the best I’ll get. Forward.

Pack85EE
    Participant

We have pointy C’s!

Said with the same excitement and naivety as Hammy the squirrel about … anything.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I once knew a girl with pointy C’s.

Fortunately she did not have a pointy A.

Flannel Avenger
    Participant

I just wonder how much they spent to come up with that. I am apparently in the wrong business…

BJD95
    Keymaster

Worry not, FA. I’m sure a Swoffy cousin or nephew was handsomely rewarded for their efforts in support of the greater good.

Pack78
    Participant

^^^But did you ‘know’ her in the Biblical sense?

The new logo is blue…what a shock!

choppack1
    Participant

Must have been one heck of a lap dance.

BJD95
    Keymaster

“A Tale Told By An Idiot” should be the title of LF’s autobiography.

Foreword by NIT Stan.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I’m sure the new logo is fine. I think no matter what, though, it’s just not going to be that impressive because there’s only so much you can do with 3 letters. It’s hard to go, “Wow! I can’t believe they were able to come up with such an awesome representation of 3 letters, 2 of them repeating.” The problem is that everything has to be celebrated and made a big freakin deal of. Just quietly change the logo and let it start being noticed or make a small announcement like it’s not a big deal: “Oh, by the way, we changed the logo.” Then someone might say, “Hey, that’s not too bad.” Once you start offering a grand description, backstory, origin film, whatever, you make a bigger deal than is necessary and turn it into something absurd. Like something you’d expect from a novel about a bureaucratically-controlled, dystopian future or something.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

“Like something you’d expect from a novel about a bureaucratically-controlled, dystopian future or something.”

Future??

Dark Helmet: What the hell am I looking at?! When does this happen in the movie?!
    Colonel Sandurz: “Now”. You’re looking at “now”, sir. Everything that happens now is happening “now”.
    Dark Helmet: What happened to “then”?
    Colonel Sandurz: We passed “then”.
    Dark Helmet: When?
    Colonel Sandurz: Just now. Were at “now,” now.
    Dark Helmet: Go back to “then”!
    Colonel Sandurz: When?
    Dark Helmet: Now!
    Colonel Sandurz: Now?
    Dark Helmet: Now!
    Colonel Sandurz: I can’t.
    Dark Helmet: Why?!
    Colonel Sandurz: We missed it.
    Dark Helmet: When?!
    Colonel Sandurz: Just now.
    Dark Helmet: … When will “then” be “now”?
    Colonel Sandurz: Soon.

MrPlywood
    Participant

As a design alum, I can say that the brand book contains a lot of BS. This guy’s post sums it up nicely:

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/5/29/5761778/ten-things-acc-logo-branf-announcement-swofford-book

Here’s the company that created the logo and other stuff:

http://www.smebranding.com <—-Although, with offices on 5th Avenue and in London, they may be full of BS but they know how to sell it! 

Of note, the rebrand SME did for the America East conference supposedly symbolized the AE as “progressive and forward leaning toward the future”. Meanwhile, the ACC logo is “Set in a custom-designed font created specifically for the league” and “leans hard into a brilliant future”. Hmmmm. Somebody copied and pasted a bit.

My 20yo was looking over my shoulder as I wrote this and said “A logo needs to look cool and be memorable”. That about sums it up. Seriously. I have no doubt that design and marketing impact communication, business, popular culture and decisions people make, or else I wouldn’t have a career. But attributing all that symbolism to the logo is a huge stretch.

From a very practical standpoint, they have created the two-color version with METALLIC SILVER ink. With the increased quality and speed of digital printing, hardly anyone prints with spot colors anymore. So 98% of the time that exciting Silver line becomes Pantone Cool Gray 6. Stunning!

Cosmo96
    Participant

If you’re not familiar with Happy Fun Ball you can read up on it here, it is apparently the one video you can’t find on YouTube.

When it comes to SNL videos, they’re very restrictive about what is put out on the internet. You can find a few on NBC.com, or Hulu Plus, but you have to pay for that one.

Regarding the Happy Fun Ball sketch, this may be the best we can do: http://www.dirtybutton.com/videos/780-happy-fun-ball/

Lumpy
    Participant

How many thousands of dollars did Swofford piss away so some design firm could highlight the old ACC logo on Microsoft Word and hit the italics button?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Biblically indeed. Eventually, it led to soul crushing pain however. Par for the course.

*sigh*

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Reading through the ‘Identity Misusage’ section makes me think of this scene from South Park (‘Red Hot Catholic Love’):

“Father Maxi: Well, maybe we need to change the Holy Document of Vatican Law. [the prelates protest even louder]

British Cardinal: Speaking on behalf of the British Catholics, it is obvious that the priest doesn’t realize that the Holy Document of Vatican Law can not be changed!

The Clergy: [more protests] Yeah! It cannot be changed! Yeah!

Priest Maxi: Look, people! I’m just trying to say that if we don’t change the Holy Document of Vatican Law, then we might lose everyone to atheism!

French Cardinal: What exactly do you suggest we change, Father Maxi.

Priest Maxi: Well, for one, no sex with boys. [the prelates protest even louder]

Another Cardinal: The Holy Document of Vatican Law states that a priest, bishop, or cardinal cannot get married, so where are we to get our sex?

Priest Maxi: Uh well then, perhaps we could change the Holy Document of Vatican Law to say that… it’s okay for a priest or bishop or cardinal to have sex… with women. [the prelates protest even louder]

French Cardinal: Women?

Gelgamek Cardinal: The Gelgamek vagina is three feet wide and filled with razor-sharp teeth. Do you really expect us to have sex with them?!

Priest Maxi: Wuh- okay, m-maybe we just need to forget about the Gelgameks for a second and focus-

Gelgamek Cardinal: FORGET ABOUT THE GELGAMEKS?! [the other Gelgamek clergy protest loudly]

Priest Maxi: I’m just saying, what works on planet Gelgamek isn’t necessarily goin’ ta work for the rest of us here, on Earth. You see? That’s the problem we’re having here.

Italian Cardinal: But-a the Holy Document of Vatican Law cannot be changed!

highstick
    Participant

“Strong Academic Schools”….except for Carolina!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

redcanine
    Participant

As the ACC Lays Dying…

Thread appropriately titled.

p.s. Faulkner sucks!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.