Never Too Early To The Hate Going… UN* game thread 2/10/18

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Never Too Early To The Hate Going… UN* game thread 2/10/18

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 226 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Just come back, you wily s.o.b.

TheCOWDOG

When ya got no zone…you spaced out.

freshmanin83
    Participant

For an interpretation and explanation of this post just deposit 10¢ in your local pay telephone and dial BR549.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Apologies to all those whose panties got wadded from my “negative lob”.

But no, I’m not back.

Hee hee, now now just because your garters put a gimp in your giddyup no need to lob Frau lines around.

Come on back it will be fun and we will have a real hoot.

GoldenChain
    Participant

Well our women swept unx yesterday coasting to a 19 pt win.

ryebread
    Participant

I was commenting to Packi that it’d have been nice to go into a zone in the second half when Maye was lighting us up. Clog up the paint and make them shoot from the perimeter. I’m not sure they could have beaten us because I don’t think they shoot very well. UVA and VT both packed it in on defense and beat them.

While I didn’t think my hate for UNC could get much higher, they somehow found a way to do so. If you haven’t, then check out the post game comments by their “senior leader.” I think they doth protest too much, but it would have been so sweet to have swept them.

I waited to post so it wouldn’t be emotional. Upon reflection, it took a career game by UNC’s best player for them to beat us, and a career game by Freeman for us to beat them. We look fairly similar otherwise to me, and I will take it in year one.

There were some comments on whether the current coach is a savior or a charlatan. I think that the early returns have been positive but that we’ll know more in the next couple of years. If Keatts is what we want/hope for, then we’re well positioned as the league transitions. I think most of the posters have been reasonable and have been taking that type of position. I will say I actually have hope, which I’ve not really had since HWSNBN’s early years. That’s nice to have.

Skinless Boneless
    Participant

Well our women swept unx yesterday coasting to a 19 pt win.

+ NC State takes 8 out of 10 in wrestling from UNC over the weekend, too. I know JB was talking about men’s basketball but the rest of the athletic department over there might like him to STFU.

Fastback68
    Participant

There is Japanese tin in your words on Keatts but a Wee Baby Seamus wielding a straight edge would be a horrible waste of an avatar. I can only assume that took 8 hours to set up.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Apparently, we’ve allowed 116 points in the paint in the last two games. I like KK and I am optimistic. But if we don’t change something with our defense over these last several games, we’re headed for the NIT quickly. We missed two huge opportunities last week against teams we could have beaten and that I truly believe we are better than. Our man-to-man has been exposed. It was sickening to watch them get so many easy layups. Really makes me doubt how much pride we actually take in our defense.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

If you haven’t, then check out the post game comments by their “senior leader.”

You talking about this?

“They’re up and down, like to press, we like to get up and down as well but theirs is a little bit more out of control than our game is.”

13OT
    Participant

This coaching staff seems determined to run its own style regardless of who they’re playing. Do they know what a ZONE defense is?

The reason that State’s basketball program has been mediocre for the past two, no- make that the last three decades, is that there has been no emphasis on building a program FIRST on team defense and discipline. It’s always been second-tier offensive talent that usually departs after a few seasons and later surfaces somewhere in Europe. Instead of going after freshmen players with good fundamental SKILLS who will stick for 3 or 4 seasons, we seem to be think we can get better by grabbing transfers, who generally won’t be around long enough to learn the system you’re trying to implement.

I’m not among the Keatts bashers although I am still very disappointed that Yow apparently didn’t go after Chris Holtmann of Butler, or several other proven coaches out there who I think would have taken our program up several notches. I’m sure the folks in Columbus are happy right now.

I don’t know what was going on with Y7 Saturday. He may have been sick or simply was having a poor shooting game, but this team is not a Big Dance team with Y7 on the bench for over half the game. Even on a bad shooting day, the big guy’s presence inside will change what the opponents’ offense tries to do. Most all of State’s success this season is because of Yurtsevin, period. For the Pack to make a real run at the NCAA post-season, they must get a lot of minutes out of Y7, Johnson and/or Beverly, and to play smarter defense. Putting a muzzle on Al Freeman wouldn’t be a bad idea, either.

The loss Saturday hurt, but to me the one at Va. Tech may prove even worse. I would hate to see that kind of performance again at Syracuse and Wake Forest this week.

ryebread
    Participant

You talking about this?

Here’s the quote I was talking about:

UNC senior Joel Berry stirred things up Tuesday by saying he didn’t consider N.C. State to be a rival for UNC. He heard plenty of boos from the irked crowd, but finished with 16 points.

”I ain’t got nothing to say,” Berry said. ”My play spoke tonight, and that’s all I’ve got to say.”

With Pinson cackling from the next locker, Berry shrugged off a follow-up question, too.

”If y’all have got any more questions about it, put that statement on your article,” he said. ”But that’s all I’m saying.”

They doth protest too much. At the same time, it doesn’t make me dislike them any less.

Our half court defense has been mixed all year. The effort is good, but the rotations are not. Our best defense is out of the full court press. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but I do believe we have improved more on offense this year than defense and the stats support it. Of course that could also be a result of the personnel. I don’t think Keatts is ever going to be a coach whose team finishes in the top 25 in overall defense or point for possession defense, but I do think we can be a winning team.

I knew we were in for a tough week with VT and UNC. At this time of the year it is more about who is playing for anything, and VT and UNC both were. Syracuse is as well and that one is on the road. Wake is probably playing to make sure they aren’t in 4th of the ACC teams in NC. They’d pushed back to even with us in Gott’s last two years. So expect two tough games. The team had better be ready.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

“With Pinson cackling from the next locker, Berry shrugged off a follow-up question, too.”

Not surprised…

Pinson knows JO-L’s mouth is bigger than his game…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    WolfWiz11
    Participant

”I ain’t got nothing to say,” Berry said. ”My play spoke tonight, and that’s all I’ve got to say.”

Hopefully, he’ll have more to say when he’s riding the pine for the Hornets next season. Arrogant f***head.

Texpack
    Participant

Keats commented after the game Saturday that our opponents fg% was a deceptive stat to look at because we create lots of turnovers. We are 136 in points allowed per possession so we aren’t creating nearly enough turnovers. We are 45 in points scored per possession which is amazing with the dearth of shooters we have. Let’s see if these numbers move over the next couple of years.

TheCOWDOG

Yurt7 got pulled because he couldn’t muster stops on Maye. How much sense does it make to force a 7 footer guard the perimeter? Did not the wide open court disturb y’all?

Sh*t. State was spread out from Alaska to Hawaii for the entire 2nd half.

This is the common denominator for a coach who refuses to believe in an active zone. Yurt7 would have had a field day in the paint, to include defensive rebounds. Pinson woulda been hung out to rimming 3s.

Keats got schooled from Wednesday to Saturday.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Did not the wide open court disturb y’all?

^Yes, deeply….
    Stranger Things I’ve never seen on any hardwood court on Tobacco Road….

POP!!!

ryebread
    Participant

State was spread out from Alaska to Hawaii for the entire 2nd half.

This is the common denominator for a coach who refuses to believe in an active zone.

The ensuing points about what might have come with Yurt, etc. are speculative but I agree with the sentiment. We seem allergic to zone, and UNC is the perfect type of team to do it against. The typical argument against zone is the rebounding, but we couldn’t have done much worse. I think I read that on every UNC miss other than one in the second half they got the rebound. So they either scored, or got the rebound on every possession that wasn’t a turnover. We just can’t win that way.

The thing is that there are zones that fit our philosophy like the 1-3-1. Get a good trap going with that, and it’s a pretty nasty defense, especially with a long player like Yurt in the middle and a stat stuffer like Dorn on the baseline. A zone doesn’t have to mean passive.

Want more active ball pressure? Try a diamond and 1 or a triangle and 2. Markell on the ball with a zone behind him would be something to see. Man I miss V.

Hopefully we see some zone in year 2……….

Wufpacker
    Participant

‘Dog might be angry angry at me all things considered. But he gets it. Just as he always did.

Admittedly, Keatts is an improvement. Sincerely. He can motivate better than his predecessor. But that only gets you so far.

We have the talent to be a top four ACC team. Even without the folks who bolted. But sadly, we have the fundamentals of Pitt or BC. When you come in as a new HC, fundamentals should be your focus.

Even HWSNBM knew that.

No, I’m not back 😀

wolfmanmat
    Participant

We do not have top 4 talent in the ACC. Not even close. Remember the record last year and where we were picked. Not sure why people are jumping off the Keatts bus in a season that we beat Zona, Duke and Carolina. Cant let 1 or 2 losses change the view of our direction. I do agree on defense tho. Keatts has some guys coming in next year to overhaul the roster and it should get better. Markel and Dorn are good defenders. They are both back. Bottom line in Keatts has done better than anticipated but we aren’t winning a title with the talent on this squad…top 4 talent is just not true. If it is, please name the only 3 teams with more talent? I assume Duke, UNC and Virginia. I guess Fsu Miami Louisville and Notre dame all have less talent. Not sure bout that one.

Pack1997
    Participant

Top 4 talent? Outside of Yurt and Markel we have no elite talent. BB is a good solid role player, but not a stud, especially on D. Heck ND has multiple players out due to injury that are better than most of our roster. As for Holtmann he is a good solid coach. He also has the luxury of having one of the best players in college basketball on his team. KK is a good solid coach as well.

The problem is some of you still expect perfection from the coach. You think if a kid doesn’t slide his feet fast enough on defense that we don’t teach defense. The kids getting beat off the dribble and not sliding their feet are the same kids who cannot beat anyone off the dribble. That isn’t a coincidence. We lack speed and quickness outside of the PG position and Freeman. Thats a talent issue not a coaching one. If you watch the games the effort is there, just not the talent.

tractor57
    Participant

I expected some ups and downs this year. So far I have seen more ups than downs. Given all the change, the somewhat limited talent and how that was assembled after last season KK gets my support. As has been mentioned we have good talent but maybe not top 4 ACC talent. As a team you can cover some of that but the later in the year it gets the harder it is to accomplish. Wufpacker has plainly stated his case against KK from the beginning but that does not change the fact that the Pack is not a top 4 team in talent this year.

LifeLongWolf
    Participant

I expected some ups and downs this year. So far I have seen more ups than downs. Given all the change, the somewhat limited talent and how that was assembled after last season KK gets my support. As has been mentioned we have good talent but maybe not top 4 ACC talent. As a team you can cover some of that but the later in the year it gets the harder it is to accomplish.

+1 Tractor FTW

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

For the new guys hanging around here…

Mr. Dog, rightfully, has a deep love for the “Active Zone” defense…

Probably has something to do with the fact that Mr. Dog, Sr., who was a basketball coach and who is in the New York State High School Athletics Hall of Fame, invented the damn thing back in the 1960s… same defense that Boeheim (not the first) and others have copied….

Go Mr. Dog!

My considered opinion on the matter is that “Good to Great” Teams should be able to play both Zone and Man to Man Defenses reasonably well regardless of their “talent” levels…
    ———————————

Speaking of “talent”… and questions as to whether we have “talent” or not…
    all that’s a little vague for me…

Are we talking about….
    1. Physical talent… speed, quickness, jumping ability, body strength…
    2. Mental talent as in basketball IQ and concentration and focus
    or
    3. Emotional talent – the ability to get along with diverse people, to subrogate your personal goals for the good of the team and to handle the pressure of the big games on the big stages…

Please clarify…

In general terms, it might be worth mentioning that all kinds of “talent” are, as a general rule, measured in terms relative to your peers and competitors…

GO PACK!

Wufpacker
    Participant

We do not have top 4 talent in the ACC.

I didn’t say we had top four talent in the ACC. I said we have the talent to be in the top four of the ACC if we had fundamentals. There is a difference.

If we knew how to rebound. If we knew how to defend. etc. I get that Keatts is new. And I’m not trying to throw him under the bus and he deserves time, granted. But I watched his teams at UNC-W. They played with energy, they were motivated. Which again, is a big improvement over Gott.

But they weren’t fundamentally sound.

You can get away with that in the CAA for a few years. But not in the ACC.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 226 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.