Nebraska Fires Pelini

Home Forums StateFans Football Nebraska Fires Pelini

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Pelini improved to 67-27 as Nebraska’s coach on Friday with a 37-34 overtime win at Iowa. The victory pushed Pelini’s win total past Tom Osborne for the most ever at the school in a coach’s first seven years.

In fact, no coach in the history of a Power 5 program had been fired for on-field performance after winning as many games in his first seven years. Only Alabama and Oregon — first and second this week in the College Football Playoff rankings — can match the Huskers in winning nine games each year since 2008.

Interesting times indeed with Florida and now Nebraska open. We will see where and how the dominoes fall.

Greywolf
    Participant

The Holes can thank Dave Doeren for making sure fedora won’t be going to Florida. Nor will they be losing their DC any time soon.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Interesting timing. Surprised it didn’t happen last season.

His “I am a raging dick!” persona never seemed to mesh with Husker fans … salt of the Earth people who would openly cheer opposing teams’ efforts when they felt it was justified.

Wulfpack
    Participant

He was an inch from being fired last year, so it isn’t really a surprise. The Nebraska job isn’t what it once was. Perhaps they can make a Wisconsin-type hire (Badgers seem perfectly well positioned despite Bielema’s departure for Arkansas).

Texpack
    Participant

Interesting timing. Surprised it didn’t happen last season.

His “I am a raging dick!” persona never seemed to mesh with Husker fans … salt of the Earth people who would openly cheer opposing teams’ efforts when they felt it was justified.

We have new neighbors this football season who are Nebraska fans. Seem like nice folks. Every week, whether it’s MSU or Presbyterian there are 10 cars over there during game time. Those people are loyal.

My wife caught a serious case of the Bo Pellini hates from watching his comments on TV about a year ago. She was dancing around the den this morning.

Mike
    Participant

Guy wins almost 10 games per year – NEVER won fewer than 9 and is out. What are the lunatics thinking? Where is GDoyle on this? Who would want to take that job?

On a related note, ASU is chopping wood, coming in at 4-2 with 4 cupcake wins and 2 losses to the respectable teams (MD, Bama) they have played. What a joke!

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Texpack, I’ll be curious to hear what your neighbors think about their new coach. Mike Riley is no spring chicken at 61 and his resume is fairly meh. Career record @ OSU: 93-80 overall and 58-63 in conference.

I understand wanting to hire a good person to heal some of the PR wounds left by Pelini, but how long are the boosters going to tolerate hovering around .500 every year on the heals of a coach who won 9+ every year?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If memory serves, the big boosters wanted Pelini when the AD hired Bill Callahan. So when Callahan bombed, those boosters forced out the AD and then got Pelini.

So what have learned from watching all of this unfold?
    Nebraska football coaches are expected to win big and Nebraska AD’s are expected to listen to the big boosters.

PS…please don’t link the Troll (Doyell) even if he surprises us by proving not to be a total douche and hypocrite. 😉

Wulfpack
    Participant

Quite the underwhelming hire you would have to say. That’s not to say Pelini should not have been fired, but hard to see this as an upgrade. Just goes to show this is not the Nebraska of old.

Gowolves
    Participant

Do you think that if Jimbo was losing coming after the legend BB the lunitc fringe would like it? I know that Pelini was not right after Osbourne but his shadow LOOMS large there. I mean there is nothing else there but Cornhusker football. They expect to playing for championships every year. I can’t remember a time under Pelini that they were ranked in the top five in the preseason. Sucks but that is the way it is in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Makes me wonder if DD becomes the coach we all hope he can be… will he stay if a school like that (or Florida) comes calling?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.