NCAA Sanctions Syracuse

Home Forums StateFans Basketball NCAA Sanctions Syracuse

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Syracuse wasn’t smart enough to get non athletes involved.

That was a stroke of genius by UNCCH. Of course we all know it’s a smokescreen, but gives the Holes and the NCAA enough plausible deniability.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Swofford announces 10-year postseason ban for Clemson Men’s Basketball Team

GREENSBORO, NC – In the wake of penalties being handed down to Syracuse University by the NCAA, ACC Commissioner John Swofford announced today that Clemson University’s Men’s Basketball program will proactively begin a 10-year postseason ban starting next season. Swofford stated that he has been working closely with athletics leaders from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which has been facing on-going scrutiny after long-running improprieties within the University’s athletics department came to light years ago.

Swofford, a UNC-CH alumnus, noted that after Syracuse’s sanctions were handed down the ACC and athletics officials at UNC agreed that it would be in both the ACC’s and UNC’s best interests to be proactive about any potential penalties that could be looming for the University. By banning the Clemson basketball team from postseason play, the ACC and UNC hope to mitigate any possible penalties that could come UNC’s way.

In a statement released by the ACC league office, the commissioner had the following to say:

“While we maintain that many aspects of the UNC case have been overblown and taken out of context, it’s also important to face realities and act accordingly so that all involved can move forward towards the future. The reality is that we have to face the facts of what occurred, and hold accountable those who have desecrated the spirit of the student athlete and The Carolina Way. That’s why today the ACC is announcing a 10-year ban on postseaon play for the Clemson University Men’s Basketball team. Head Coach Brad Brownell is also suspended from all league activity and contests for one year, and the Clemson University athletics department has been fined ten million dollars – half payable to the ACC and half payable to the UNC athletics department. We will not have any comment on possible NCAA sanctions for UNC at this time.”

Swofford has a history of making Clemson a punching bag for the benefit of UNC, the NCAA however seems reluctant to challenge his position. “When it comes to the care and nurturing of the student athlete and the core standards that the NCAA prides itself upon, we’re fervent believers in the plantation mentality of The Carolina Way. We also like to have backroom office parties rolling around in unmarked bills on casual Fridays” NCAA President Mark Emmert stated.

When attempting to reach athletics department officials from Clemson University, all calls, e-mails, tweets and other forms of communication were automatically re-routed to UNC’s hired PR firm and lawyer base. When prodded for comment, only the following quote was offered: “By order of ACC league rule #1, statute proviso # 3, all comments from Clemson University official staff and personnel are [redacted] and [censored].”

We’ll update you as the story continues to unfold.

I really feel like I should front-page this …

pakfanistan
    Participant

^Bravissimo

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Komrade Kat76, You get the Andy Borowitz of the month award for that jewel…lmao

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

:>}

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    SaccoV
    Participant

I disagree with the notion that the Asterisk will escape penalty, but the rope-a-dope strategy will be successful in mitigating punishment. The NCAA’s system has two considerable loopholes in his enforcement: (1) make sure non-athletes had the same benefits, (2) don’t self-report. If I was any collegiate institution, I would abide these two principles by their letter and implement them forthwith for the benefit of the athletics’ programs.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

1) make sure non-athletes had the same benefits,

Academic fraud is not a benefit. The fact that regular students (if you can call frat rats “normal”) also participated in the fraud shouldn’t impact the NCAA punishment of UNC. UNC professors and staff colluded to keep athletes eligible.

If the NCAA lets UNC skate, the uproar would be deafening and would literally signal the end of the NCAA.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The key here is TIME. All the NCAA has to do is keep its thumb up its ass. Which it is and will. Keep it there long enough, most people lose interest, and voila, no uproar.

Most people are stupid, and have VERY short attention spans. That’s the point of the deny, deny, delay, delay strategy U*NC plays $995 an hour for.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

You can wait as long as you want and the schools that have ever been penalized over academics (like UConn) will never forget.

SaccoV
    Participant

I have a Nintendo emulator and I’m trying to hack it so Swoff’s face appears when I destroy Ganon. Any other mods I should make?

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster
    BJD95
    Keymaster

The UConns scorned won’t forget, but their voices aren’t numerous, important, or incessant enough.

Texpack
    Participant

1) make sure non-athletes had the same benefits,

Academic fraud is not a benefit. The fact that regular students (if you can call frat rats “normal”) also participated in the fraud shouldn’t impact the NCAA punishment of UNC. UNC professors and staff colluded to keep athletes eligible.

If the NCAA lets UNC skate, the uproar would be deafening and would literally signal the end of the NCAA.

Allow me to play Cheater’s Advocate. I would maintain that it’s not the responsibility of the Athletic Department to make sure that AFAM is running a legitimate set of classes. The athletes simply took the same classes everybody else had access to. The NCAA will maintain that they don’t police grading policies and such.

We all know that the system was devised for the benefit of the athletes but in practice it wasn’t exclusively for them so it wasn’t a violation to the NCAA.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

deny, deny, delay, delay

Dodge, dip, dive, duck & dodge!

Heelh8r
    Participant

I think Roy is toast. Sooner than later.

TheCOWDOG

Here’s the deal boys and girls.

The NCAA has a projected shelf life of about 3 years before autonomy hits.

Syracuse isn’t poor, but…
    They never had the money and influence as TWSNBM.

TWSNBM will ride it out.

highstick
    Participant

Well…hard to express emotions, but if there “is a God” and he is not a Hole, the something bad happens in Chapel Hill. However, since I am a Christian and believe that “man will never cure or punish all fo the ills of mankind), I don’t know what to think. If they don’t get major penalties, then I’m disgusted. All I can do at this point is to hope for the best result for all of us..

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

packalum44
    Participant

Timing couldn’t have been more perfect. The team will rally around this negativity and crush us.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Coach Brontosaurus Norte didn’t sleep well last night…
    Orange Asst Coaches got drunk in the hotel bar… bartender had to ask them to leave at 2:15am…
    Orange players repeatedly heard saying “WTF”…

It’s a 12 Noon game.

Last night GOTT && Company and kids watched film of the last game we played at 12 Noon.

One Team thinks it’s playing for everything.
    One Team thinks it has nothing to play for.

Dr. Debbie please send out an email to PNC Staff…
    No Orange shirts allowed in Our House…

PACK Fans in this PNC today will have a lot to say about the outcome.
    Those who will be there… ya’ll know what to do.

Do NOT Disappoint. Show our kids how proud you are of them.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Even as fatalistic and pessimistic as I am, I simply cannot close my mind to the possibility that there really is a loving God out there in the great beyond. There is too much in the universe that is just beyond human understanding.

But He or She sure as hell ain’t no sports fan. Res ipsa loquitor.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Timing couldn’t have been more perfect. The team will rally around this negativity and crush us.

^I don’t think so … I got a feeling it’s going to go the other way. Plus, we’re better – even if they ‘bring it’ it’s not like we can rise to the challenge. Of course, I thought we were better than ND, too (still mostly do). Hope I’m right!

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Allow me to play Cheater’s Advocate. I would maintain that it’s not the responsibility of the Athletic Department to make sure that AFAM is running a legitimate set of classes. The athletes simply took the same classes everybody else had access to. The NCAA will maintain that they don’t police grading policies and such.

I agree that the Athletic Dept is not responsible for policing academic standards. But I disagree that academic fraud involving athletes ALONG WITH regular students falls beyond the purview of the NCAA. While the NCAA has no say on the regular students, the athletes do fall within their rules.

Bottom line is that UNC staff conspired to commit academic malfeasance to keep athletes eligible for at least two decades. The NCAA will have to come down hard on UNC to maintain even their thin veil of relevance.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.