NCAA: It's not our job to ensure educational quality

Home Forums All StateFansNation NCAA: It's not our job to ensure educational quality

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JeremyH
    Participant

“…a lawsuit filed by former University of North Carolina athletes claimed the students didn’t get an education because they were caught up in the largest known academic fraud scandal in NCAA history.

In its response, the NCAA says it has no legal responsibility “to ensure the academic integrity of the courses offered to student-athletes at its member institutions.”

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/sport/ncaa-response-to-lawsuit/index.html

MrPlywood
    Participant

Emmert really – really – can’t stomach the thought of having to deal with uncch they way they need to be dealt with, and in line with the way the ncaa has severely sanctioned other universities for much, much less.

This quote is interesting: “This case is troubling for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the law does not and has never required the NCAA to ensure that every student-athlete is actually taking full advantage of the academic and athletic opportunities provided to them,” said Donald Remy, NCAA chief legal officer.

That statement appears to place the burden of obtaining an education on the student. AFAIK, the uncch athletes assert that the school actively steered them to the paper classes, as well as encouraged and organized the “tutoring” help and grade changing. The ncaa is now resorting to semantics in order to avoid taking responsibility for the mess at the hole, which leads me to believe that the organizations days are numbered.

And that uncch is going to skate.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Chapel Hill and their Rogue Squadron are liable, imo. Rogue Squadron were acting as representatives of the University – rogue or no. Actively steering athletes to fraudulent classes presents liability … I don’t see how this can be viewed otherwise. Their attempts at “state protection” and the “athletes waited too long” are both gutless and shameless. I hope they are deservedly held to the fire.

I think the NCAA has some wiggle room (unfortunately) on the legal front. All their rhetoric and double-talk could ultimately cost them though. Upholding the integrity of their sanctioned sports though is in the mission statement … watching them skate around all this is funny yet profoundly sad.

The NCAA needs to die … but that also means Chapel Hill gets a complete walk, sports wise. At least “The Way” is over … and nothing more than a joke now. The really sad thing is that when the NCAA inevitably does die, the Holes will hold themselves up as “those who enacted and enabled the necessary changes for the betterment of student athletes”. “We knew what direction all this was headed in, we were just ahead of the curve, see!”. Sure, to hell with all the athletes you used up and discarded.

If the Cheats skate on the NCAA front and the ‘Power 5’ form their own autonomous ‘league’ and that new league will not punish for “past behavior” then they get away with everything unless the legal side burns them. They are the ‘Cheats’ now for all eternity so far as I’m concerned.

JeremyH
    Participant

too big to fail.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I think the NCAA has some wiggle room (unfortunately) on the legal front. All their rhetoric and double-talk could ultimately cost them though. Upholding the integrity of their sanctioned sports though is in the mission statement … watching them skate around all this is funny yet profoundly sad.

Agreed. Not that the NCAA doesn’t have some culpability, but to think they could ever possibly oversee the QUALITY of the education being received in every class by every student athlete at every institution is ludicrous.

I suspect they were added as a defendant for the same reason drug companies are added when someone sues their doctor. Deep pockets.

On the other hand, when an obvious issue like the UNC cesspool is uncovered, they damn well better do something about it or else it’s tantamount to taking a huge steaming shat on their own mission statement.

No leg to stand in if they don’t.

ancsu87
    Participant

I fully expect UNC-CH to get a free pass. There are more important things for NCAA to worry about than minority kids being cheated by the system. There is a rouge pizza parlor in Indiana for example.

I will though enjoy throwing the “book” up at UNC fans EVERYTIME I hear there arrogant mouth try to tell me how superior their school is to NC State. The fact that two former employees with long times to the school are the authors is much more of a validation that having a part-time sports writer and full time loser like Golenbok being paid to write a book of dirt on a coach it was well documented that he had a personality issue and disdain for due to his petty feelings being hurt.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article17222747.html

http://paperclassinc.com/smithwillingham-book/

ancsu87
    Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.