NC State names assistant coach in basketball

Home Forums StateFans Basketball NC State names assistant coach in basketball

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    freshmanin83
    Participant

A.W Hamilton headed to NCSU

freshmanin83
    Participant

I believe defense is the single most important factor in the success or failure of a basketball team. I feel that building a competitive basketball team requires a heavy emphasis on the defense. A team that makes the fewest mistakes will win most consistently, and a team that plays hard, sound defense will make fewer mistakes. At the same time, this team will force its opponents into making mistakes. It should be the goal of every team to control the game and I feel that this can best be achieved by an aggressive defense. Defense is a three part program:
    Stop the transitional or fast-break basket.
    Take away (as much as possible) what the offense is designed to do on their offensive end of the floor.
    Limit a team to just one shot with tenacious defensive rebounding.

http://www.bigtime.camp/index.php/staff/a-w-hamilton

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Those opening words bring tears to my eyes.

ryebread
    Participant

If this is the mindset of Kestts then we will be okay. For years I’ve argued that defense is more important basketball than many other sports because points do come relatively easy (for comparison I contend no really soccer team is defense first because it is already tough to score) and because of the instant transition of defense to offense that can lead to very easy, uncontested scores.

Team A has the ball, turns it over at the top of the key to team B who races the floor for an easy layup. That’s a four point swing, and may be 5 if the guy shooting the layup gets fouled and makes the free throw. That’s equivalent to a great offensive team needing two scores and needing the 50% chance that the other team comes up empty.

I’m not advocating sitting in a shell Virginia style. A team has to be balanced. Another assistant (Johnson) was scoring first and Wilmington scored a lot, so I’m not worried.

rthomas44
    Participant

How many suits on the bench now?

ryebread
    Participant

rthomas44: That’s the last assistant hire. We now have the NCAA allotted/allowed number of assistants that can recruit on the road. We also seemingly have our S&C and Director of Basketball Operations on board.

Now if your point was about the number of suits running around the bench from the Gott era, then I guess it remains to be seen.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.