NC State Football By The Numbers – Post FSU Edition

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State Football By The Numbers – Post FSU Edition

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    WV Wolf
    Keymaster

Here are the stats and national rankings after the Florida State game. Before the stats, the latest on the National and ACC championship belts. Nation
    [See the full post at: NC State Football By The Numbers – Post FSU Edition]

YogiNC
    Participant

Those are some REALLY impressive numbers on offense. gonna give you a mental image. What if we had super Mario, Nate, and pick two others who were defensive standouts in the backfield. This team would REALLY be tough to play. We are just so so young on the D side of the ball. My thoughts are they are going to be pretty darned good by the last 3 games of the year. And I’ve never been one to say “wait until next year” but…this bunch will have a load of experience and if we could just get one or two significant recruits on D it could be a killer team.

Smarter than the average bear

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

Can someone explain the Past and Future Opposition numbers? We just played a 4-0 team. And when I go back and look at our past opposition, they are a combined 14-9 on the season. And for future opposition, we have 7 more games against teams that have played either 4 or 5 games, so shouldn’t their combined record be between 28-35 games total?

I’m sure there’s an easy explanation, and I know WV Wolf is compiling these for us from the NCAA (which means they’re probably throwing out UNC’s bad numbers), but any assistance would be helpful.

Greywolf
    Participant

Other Rankings Of Interest (For Pointing And Laughing)
    Total Defense: North Carolina 120 of 125 (ahead of New Mexico, Cincinnati, UNLV, SMU & Bowling Green)
    Scoring Defense: North Carolina 123 of 125 (ahead of E Michigan & SMU)
    Passing Defense: North Carolina 124 of 125 (ahead of Bowling Green)
    Rushing Defense: North Carolina 91 of 125

Amazing what you can do when you have lots of **** recruits to work with…

I’m starting to wonder if the “hazing” incident wasn’t in fact pay-back for a walk-on showing up scholarship athletes in practice.

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

Greywolf: ” I’m starting to wonder if the “hazing” incident wasn’t in fact pay-back for a walk-on showing up scholarship athletes in practice. ”

Especially with the “WE SHUT THEM DOWN UP FRONT” tweets from a few days ago.

They kinda seem like they are teetering on the edge of the cliff don’t they? *NC may need to interview a new Supervisor of Morale…

WV Wolf
    Keymaster

Can someone explain the Past and Future Opposition numbers?

They don’t include 1-AA games.
    GA Southern is 3-2, take away win over Savannah St for 2-2
    ODU is 3-2, take away win over Hampton for 2-2
    Presby doesn’t count
    FSU is 4-0, take away win over The Citadel for 3-0

2-2
    2-2
    3-0
    adds up to 7-4 past opposition

burnbarn
    Participant

What if we had super Mario, Nate, and pick two others who were defensive standouts in the backfield. This team would REALLY be tough to play.

I think P Rivers thought the same thing.

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

Thanks, WV.

YogiNC
    Participant

We had a pretty good defense back then too, especially 2001. FSU coming to town late in the season on a Saturday night and walked out losers. The tearing down of the goal posts was one of the neatest things I’ve ever seen. As the masses were passing them overhead they looked like ants working. It was freaky. The Gator bowl was beyond special. The ND QB getting racked at the goal line and then having to sit the rest of the day spelled doom and gloom for them. Sean Berton, the tight end, after that game said the ND defensive back asked him how many plays were in our play book, his answer was “playbookS, not playbook”. This was also the guy who nicknamed CTC, Lucifer.

Smarter than the average bear

john of sparta
    Participant

numbers=scoreboard.
    “You are what your record says you are.” – Bill Parcells.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

To me, the glaring defensive stat is the 3rd down defense. We simply have too many times where we’re in a position to get off the field, and we don’t. I’m not talking 3rd and short, but whether it’s 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 15, we struggle to get off the field. In those scenarios, we need to dig a little deeper in the bag of tricks. Not buying the blame on youth and inexperience.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Not buying the blame on youth and inexperience.

But that’s what it is, that and lack of speed in the back 5. Our best cover guys (skill wise) have average speed, and that’s being generous. None are burners.

Coaches and time can continue to improve savvy, positioning, technique, and recognition.

But there’s a low ceiling on the speed. Nothing the coaches can do about it, in-season.

Here’s to hoping true freshman QB got a false sense of confidence and bravado from the fluffer that is the u*nc D. Coaching could possibly exploit his inexperience, but everything shown and read to date says this kid ain’t your typical true frosh in decision making.

Obviously he is not in skill set.

But repeating what I wrote after ladt week’s game, the true test for the team and coaches, at least in my eyes, does not come from Clemson this week.

Program wise, we’ll get another good data point for our coaching staff evaluation metrics.

Team wise, I’m expecting a confirmation of excellent player leadership. Overall, anyway. Defense still needs someone to emerge from the crowd. Quality character group, but even quality needs leadership.

Greywolf
    Participant

We simply have too many times where we’re in a position to get off the field, and we don’t. I’m not talking 3rd and short, but whether it’s 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 15, we struggle to get off the field. In those scenarios, we need to dig a little deeper in the bag of tricks. Not buying the blame on youth and inexperience.

We should fire coach Doeren because he doesn’t know that all we have to do is “dig a little deeper in our bag of tricks” and our 3rd down problems will be solved.

You learn something new everyday. All this time I thought it was strength, technique and tackling. Come to find out it’s just a bag of tricks.”

Adventuroo
    Participant

ONE key stat or number missing. That is the NUMBER 2. FSU fell in the Coaches Poll from 1 to 2.

In addition, NCSU NOW holds the record for the MOST POINTS SCORED AGAINST FSU in the First Quarter. Was 17….now 24 and WE OWN THAT ONE..

GO PACK….

Greywolf
    Participant

Quick, without looking it up, when was the last time State scored 40+ points 4 games in a row? (Yes, this is a trick question.)

Since one of those 4 was ranked #1 in the coaches’ poll, we don’t have to devalue that accomplishment with “cupcake” conversation. Unless of course you are that kind of person and feel the need.

Most of us, myself included, thought it would end last weekend. Will this weekend end the streak? Is Brissett as good as the Clemson freshman QB? What would you do to negate our lack of speed in the back?

Gowolves
    Participant

Greywolf I generally like your posts and most are insightful. You do seem quick to jump on some people’s opinion rather harshly. Just sayin. I really don’t care one way or another just an observation.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Unfortunately, in order to have any chance to win this year, our guys will HAVE to average 40 pts/game. Hoping we’ve got some redshirts or incoming recruits that will be able to raise the defensive bar next year. As they are only rushing 4, you’d think 7 defenders would be enough to stop 4-5 receivers…

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

We should fire coach Doeren…

Why don’t we let the straw man rest in peace.

packplantpath
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Greywolf wrote:</div>
    We should fire coach Doeren…

I suggest killing it with fire.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Great jumping horny toads this is what is wrong with the country today. Now, we even want to give the straw man time off. Heavens to Betsy where will it all end back in the day the straw man and everyone else was busy from can see to can’t see and betwixt those times is when we really worked.

Greywolf
    Participant

You do seem quick to jump on some people’s opinion rather harshly.

Gowolves, You are right and I hate it when I do that. Apologies to whiteshoes67 and any others I’ve been harsh with. Unfortunately it likely won’t be the last time. ;-(

Greywolf
    Participant

Unfortunately, in order to have any chance to win this year, our guys will HAVE to average 40 pts/game.

That’s a valid opinion, (Okay so far, Gowolves?) not that I share it. 😉

choppack1
    Participant

I think we can all agree our 3rd down d needs a lot of improvement. I also think its too early to say where the blame lies. I do believe we could be more exotic and aggressive with our schemes but I have no clue the defensive philosophy of the staff. (Not saying that as an insult, just saying different philosophies will handle these situations differently.)

One note of concern…not sure how many corners we are targeting… We have a ton of safeties.

Greywolf
    Participant

I’m for that, VaWolf82. While we’re at it, let’s let gratuitous swipes at the Pack rest with the straw man.

choppack1
    Participant

And the offense has been spectacular when it has had to be. Special teams have been solid.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.