NC State could be sleeping giant in ACC Atlantic

Home Forums StateFans Football NC State could be sleeping giant in ACC Atlantic

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    freshmanin83
    Participant

David M. Hale – May 9, 2017

There are 21 seniors on this roster, Doeren said. Eleven are returning starters, a school record. The biggest question remains at kicker, but according to Doeren, he doesn’t have many other “what-ifs” lingering throughout the offseason. Even in a division with Florida State, Clemson and Louisville, that’s a massive advantage for NC State.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99299/nc-state-could-be-sleeping-giant-in-acc-atlantic

13OT
    Participant

Everything you need to know about this upcoming football season will likely be revealed in Charlotte in early September.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Hmm I was thinking that everything I need to know about the upcoming regular football season would likely be revealed in Raleigh in late November.

Greywolf
    Participant

Who is this “freshmanin83”? He sure has some brass cojones. Dude has started two threads, not only about Wolfpack football, but also very positive threads. Not drawing a lot of comments tho. Come on folks, let’s generate some discussion here. What do you say. Can Dave Doeren go from cliff’s edge to sleeping giant before he’s played a single game?.

There are some pretty savvy observers here on SFN some of whom say Doeren should have been fired at the end of last season regardless of the outcome of the EweNC game. Some say the EweNC win saved his job.

I have to say that both points of view seem to be pretty misinformed. Maybe the W/L record ALONE is not a safe deciding factor. With no way of knowing this to be true or not, I think our AD quietly had conversations with the big donors and settled their upset and anger and convinced them that waiting until 2017 is the prudent route to take.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Who is this “freshmanin83?? He sure has some brass cojones. Dude has started two threads, not only about Wolfpack football, but also very positive threads. Not drawing a lot of comments tho. Come on folks, let’s generate some discussion here. What do you say. Can Dave Doeren go from cliff’s edge to sleeping giant before he’s played a single game?.

There are some pretty savvy observers here on SFN some of whom say Doeren should have been fired at the end of last season regardless of the outcome of the EweNC game. Some say the EweNC win saved his job.

I have to say that both points of view seem to be pretty misinformed. Maybe the W/L record ALONE is not a safe deciding factor. With no way of knowing this to be true or not, I think our AD quietly had conversations with the big donors and settled their upset and anger and convinced them that waiting until 2017 is the prudent route to take.

Sweet Jesus dude we get it, we really do. You like DD and think he is the best thing since sliced bread. Thats cool man, it really is. However there is nobody on this board or any where else that I see that is calling for his head. We all agree the smashing of UNC granted him another season. We all are in agreement here. The thing is, DD has coached himself into the proverbial corner. He has no good will left to spend in case a season goes south and in NC States case it happens quite a bit for some crazy reasons. #ncstate#### some may say. Both he and Yow have crowed that this year is the year. I think he has to hit 8 regular season wins or he is toast. Yow fired TOB after winning seven and I am not seeing much difference here. Because on paper we stand to lose a ton of players next year.

Dude I would love to come here and have to eat the crow and be totally wrong about Dave. Nobody really likes a regime change because it resets the clock per say. (Remember the 0-8 season?) But after 4 years of watching this knucklehead manage some crazy football games I am not too overly optimistic that he makes it out of this thing alive. I have watched a ton of football in my life and yes there always aberrations like Beamer etc who did get better, but for the most part a coach that has treaded water (I use that term loosely) for 4 seasons simply dont turn into some superstar later in their career.

Gowolves
    Participant

Actually listening to DD at the spring game the Pack have 32 redshirt sophomore and sophomores on this years team. That’s a healthy number from which to build on. Let’s just hope they have some talent. Finley one more year and hope for more improvement in his progression.

Not saying he will succeed but he longer has “we have a young team” excuse.

rthomas44
    Participant

When they kick off in Charlotte I will begin to pay close attention, until then I can’t really find any thing to get most Wolfpack fans excited. Speculation is not a fact based endeavor, looking forward, that is.

Greywolf
    Participant

Sweet Jesus dude we get it, we really do.

Who is the “we” above? You got a mouse in your pocket? If not how about listing the people you are authorized to speak for.

freshmanin83
    Participant

When they kick off in Charlotte I will begin to pay close attention, until then I can’t really find any thing to get most Wolfpack fans excited. Speculation is not a fact based endeavor, looking forward, that is.

Ah the voice of one speaking for most Wolfpack fans, thank you. ; )

As my grandma might have put it, well bless your heart for sharing why you have nothing that excites you about Wolfpack football. That you would take the time to tell us your thoughts about speculation is just like you, you little sport model.

Come on lighten up I am just bustin your chops a little bit.

I am a fan of the Pack and like to speculate. My grandpappy speculated a bit a did all right. At least to hear him tell it. : )

rthomas44
    Participant

Ok go ahead and tell us how State will kick ass all season. I have seen too many eggs laid at CFS to be a rah-rah fan in June. Anyway, I don’t go to the games anymore. Too far,too loud, and too many drunks and I don’t feel like having a cavity search.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I wish I could tell you that. I can’t. I do expect to see improvement if it is of the kick ass variety that would be awesome. This speculation stuff is fun. I like the way you think better than the way I think. Tell me more.

ryebread
    Participant

This is speculation season for every college or pro-football fan base. Every team is 0-0. It could be the year!!! Heck it will be (well, right up until it is not for 99% of them). Might as well be happy about it now. 🙂

It’s part of why for most teams in most seasons, the average single game ticket prices are highest now……..

PackofMac
    Participant

Everything you need to know about this upcoming football season will likely be revealed in Charlotte in early September.

EXACTLY Right, and history says we’ll go down to “little atlanta” and drop a turd just like when Tennessee beat us by 400 the last time we we’re in any type of kick off game. Now….I of course hope not, just like I hoped we’d take care of business Sunday night and beat Kentucky, of course we didn’t and OF COURSE ended up being ousted last night. It really seems to always be the same, year in and year out, probably because for 38 years now it has been.

rthomas44
    Participant

Last night aside, I want the Pack to succeed in the most improbable way, 12-0 , but my first point is the QB. He’s good but really fell in DD’s lap, not recruited. I know,..even a blind squirrel. Also, do we have a kicker??? The other adjustment that I think is needed but worrys me is the WTF plays that are sometimes called and wind up with the coach’s looking at each other.

highstick
    Participant

One things for sure for the game in Charlotte. The State fans will underestimate the Gamecocks and the Gamecock fans will underestimate the Wolfpack.

Danny Peebles will be talked about as well as the Russell Wilson KO..State will identify with Clempson because of being a Landgrant school and the Gamecocks will continue to hate on the team that more closely resembles UnC(but the State fans can’t figure it out).

You can take it to the bank!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

rthomas44
    Participant

Somewhere in the sandy pinelands way off the main road it’s called “Crimpson”. And you can hear the banjos in the distance.

TheCOWDOG

So much to comment on…but I am not in the football mode, as yet. Not in the baseball mode, either. Still pissed at pissin’ it away.

However, Doeren fired an OC, and hired another. The fact the other had a QB that wanted out of his then situation, does not, in any fashion, resemble falling into one’s lap.
    Rather, it was some damned pretty work.

Packzingo
    Participant

Not sure where to post, not much talk about Baseball, my feed was terrible but how do we manage to lose Sunday and Monday…. is it just one word? Starts with “A”?

choppack1
    Participant

but my first point is the QB. He’s good but really fell in DD’s lap, not recruited. I know,..even a blind squirrel.

DD has done a fine job of recruiting quarterbacks. Personally, I think his offensive systems rely too much on the quarterback running (which in the case of Brandon Mitchell) subjects them to injury – but schematically, it’s solid as has been the qb play in his tenure. (Further note on the injury thing- it’s just a pet peeve of mine, as I said, schematically it makes sense.)

We have the pieces in place. Thus, it will come down to injuries, execution, the kicking game and not blowing it in the coaching category.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.