*NC Changes Grading System for ALL Students…

Home Forums All StateFansNation *NC Changes Grading System for ALL Students…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

From the Backpages of the beloved N&O…
    … the bastion of fair reporting for all people…

Part Two…

December 9, 2014…

*NC has devised new grade transcripts for all students that certainly will make grades at Chapel Hill more transparent… How much the timetable for implementation had been advanced due to the five year old athletic and academic scandal besieging the campus was unclear. It is clear, however, that the pending changes will offer no assistance to this year’s football or men’s basketball team.

“Actual” final grades on all classes at Chapel Hill will be ‘indexed’ by multiple factors which include… the median grade of a students’ classmates and the number of students in each class.

More noteworthy perhaps is another measure, called a schedule point average, which will show a student’s relative performance for a mix of courses, akin to a “strength of schedule.” as one administrator who was not named labeled it.

Now… of course … it will take a Freedom of Information Lawsuit to force the University to disclose the algorithm used to ‘relatively’ adjust students ‘actual’ grades…

… and if all this appears to be another case of smoke and mirrors from the Administration at Chapel Hill, who can really blame us for thinking the obvious… when they cannot accurately COUNT the number of people who actually are seating in Kenan Stadium on any given Saturday afternoon from September to November…

… how in the name of Silent Sam are they ever going to get this “complex” algebraic formula – with more than one variable and multiplication and long division – right?

And it’s reasonably certain that the new system will offer ‘relief’ to all athletes who are now forced to attend class as they will all be clustered in the same small classes…

And the unconfirmed rumor is the loyal and faithful in light blue have already started a hackathon in the basement of a Columbia Street frat house … so ‘some data can be adjusted as needed… after the fact’ …

The question is when all this actually takes place as it seems they need to get some guys from PackPride to come over and get their computer software to work correctly… as the transition has now been postponed to an unknown future date… due to computer glitches…

full story here…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    highstick
    Participant

Curry Math Revisited???

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Fastback68
    Participant

0-50 is a B, 51-100 is an A

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

F68 – from the N&O…

A 2009 study at UNC-CH found that 82 percent of all grades were A’s and B’s.

AsheWolf
    Participant

^And the remaining 25% got C’s, according to u*nc mathematicians.

Fastback68
    Participant

Bill, don’t I know it – I had 2 sisters attend unx. It didn’t take long for the kool ade to kick in. The best part was watching my hard=== parents during the re-education process.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… F68 … that’s dangerous ground… my friend…. in more ways than one..

my wife went there two years and graduated after St.Mary’s…
    my son graduated from there two years and graduated after community college…
    my oldest daughter graduated from State…

To my son’s credit … he did take 3-4 classes over at Duke and spent 6 months at the University of Copenhagen during those two years because of the academic relationships between *NC and those Universities… and he got an excellent education.

He was told upfront ‘I don’t want to see your grades… just graduate…’
    so I can’t complain…

By comparison… the same N&0 report also said

The national average was 43% of all grades (at all Universities were A’s…

I don’t really want to know how they are grading at NC State these days…
    While there were easy majors and hard majors, easy classes and hard classes at State back in the day…. I know at least in my school… the professors’ curve was 10% – A’s… not 40$…

PackerInRussia
    Participant

the professors’ curve was 10% – A’s… not 40$…

I assume that “$” was a Freudian slip.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

PIR – HA! if so, it was totally unconscious.. nice touch though..
    consider it a ‘typo’… as in “NOT FORTY PERCENT” as consciously intended…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.