N.C. State vs. Wake Forest, 7:30 pm

Home Forums StateFans Basketball N.C. State vs. Wake Forest, 7:30 pm

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 254 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

N.C. State (6-1) vs. Wake Forest (4-4), 7:30pm – PNC Arena

TV: EspnU (If you’re going to the game, don’t forget there is a ‘Toys for Tots’ drive going on if you’re interested in participating – http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120514aac.html)

Wake Forest: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/WAKE/wake-forest-demon-deacons

Tonight’s contest opens the 62nd season of conference play for the ACC. The league welcomes in new member Louisville (see ya, Terps) and new coaches Jim Christian (BC), Buzz Williams (VT), and Danny Manning (Wake Forest). While ACC Basketball still has a decidedly ‘blue’ flavor (read: bias), the times – they are a changin’.

Consider the following:

– The last three true conference champions (tournament champions – I don’t give a damn what that fraudulent sob Roy Williams has to say) are FSU, Miami, and Virginia.

– Chapel Hole is intent on driving themselves into a ‘nuclear winter’, seemingly not realizing that covering up your cheating and fraud isn’t quite as easy in the ‘Information Age’ as it was back in Dean’s day.

– There are more teams and better coaches. K and Roy, respectively, have little time left – and in Roy’s case who knows what the immediate future holds for his program. Even if both K and Roy are around for 10 more seasons, the age of the ‘convenient ACC whistle’ is all but over. YouTube and info sharing demand accountability and fairness. BS simply won’t fly anymore. To wit, imagine an ACC-affiliated ref not being allowed to work a certain team’s games anymore (Karl Hess and N.C. State) … now imagine that happening even 10 years ago. It wouldn’t. At that time, Hess likely could have thrown out every fan in PNC Arena in one game and then show back up at that same arena a few days later with nary a peep from the league office. Not anymore. These days, once you do it – it’s out there … no hiding from it anymore.

Anyway, while I lament the death of the conference basketball round-robin, I get on-board with the inevitable changes. College sports are what they are now – bigger business than ever. At least with this day and age there is a much more discerning eye towards competition as opposed to propping up one or two teams over everyone else. Might as well try and enjoy the ride …

I digress. Back to Wake Forest … North Carolina native Danny Manning enters his first season as head coach of the Demon Deacons after compiling a 38-29 overall record in two seasons at Tulsa. In his second and last season at Tulsa, Manning was able to guide the Golden Hurricane to C-USA regular season and conference tournament trophies. Tulsa lost their opening game in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season to UCLA. More on Manning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Manning

Manning faces a fairly tall rebuilding order with Wake Forest after the Deacons went through four mostly poor seasons under Jeff Bzdelik. The Deacons appear to be a bit shaky at the start of this season while trying to settle in under Manning and have a bad home loss to Delaware St. to show for it.

Let’s not beat around the bush, the Pack needs to win this game. While a loss isn’t a death knell, it would mean an 0-1 conference start while losing a very winnable home game and would be disastrous from an RPI standpoint. ‘Take care of business’ as they say.

We’ll see what happens at 7:30 🙂 . Enjoy the game everyone!

For today’s video, we’ll take a look back at ‘Danny and the Miracles’ featuring our old friend Larry Brown (an expert in ‘The Carolina Way’) :

wufpup76
    Keymaster
    Wolfanatic
    Participant

Good job, as always wufpup76. Thanks…Go Pack…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Good job, as always wufpup76. Thanks…Go Pack…

Thanks a lot 🙂 … glad you enjoy.

Wufpacker
    Participant

F-ck Danny. F-ck Larry. And while we’re at it, f-ck Ed too.
    Can I hold a grudge or what?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Don’t hold back Wufpacker… it ain’t good for your constitution at your age…

If you don’t mind, a slight modification to your otherwise valid sentiments…
    Let’s take Danny out… since he was just a more or less clueless 17 yr old kid…
    and put Deano the Nose in his place….

Deano the Nose was the one who made the phone call that made it all happen… you know…
    … back when “cheating” like that was expected and despised…

————–
    I’m looking for Danny to do great things at Wake and get the Demon Deacons back to a really competitive level of play… That will be good for all of us… as you play to the level of your competition..

That said… I don’t think tonight will be a ‘breakout game’… just more or less the same as what we seen all season… Pack wins by double digits at home. Both Lacy and Anthony will be in double figures and somebody on the front line will get a double double. Your guess as to who that might be is as good as mine.

Go PACK !

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

That’s actually a very valid point. I happen to know that at the time it all went down, Danny didn’t want to go.

But still….

BJD95
    Keymaster

Let’s smash these so I can get back to watching the footy!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^^probably ’cause Ed kept all the cash…

Beej… you’re wanna-gonna hang right here…
    Noles are going to blow the Bees out…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Doesn’t look like Alcorn St. – Southern is going to do us any favors … looks like it’ll be still going strong at 7:30. These non-overtime 4 and a half / 5 hour college football games are ridiculous.

Fastback68
    Participant

So what do I have to stress over this game? Another secret weapon bench warmer or a 7 footer with four arms.

TheCOWDOG

Relax. Cat reaches into his sock and pulls out the oyster knife.

Much better than the switchblade.

Fastback68
    Participant

^ LMAO. Until I turned the channel. 430 left in a swac fb game

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

TV is for guys who don’t have Radio…

Pre game Coach GOTT says Dez will get a ‘chance’to play some minutes tonite after missing a couple of games… ‘
    The next question was neither asked nor answered.

And another ‘gem’ … Anya’s defense.. “HE thinks he’s can block every shot… ” (instead of hugging up tight on his man) …
    Again the next question was neither asked nor answered…. at least in this case… the answer was already obvious to most…

Coach says we GOTT to have a lot of ball pressure and more fast break opportunites… and better Defense in the paint…
    … that’s GOTT to be the “keys to this game”

Radio guys must get a ton of money NOT to ask questions…
    ————–

Mr. Dog… an oyster knife, if not handled correctly, can mess you up … bad…
    Do not shuck oysters barehanded when drinking beer … especially when it’s cold outside…
    GO PACK!

BJD95
    Keymaster

I can’t get a “WatchESPN” link to pop up either. Grrrr

BJD95
    Keymaster

Syracuse is for shit.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^this is ‘news’…???

Wufpacker
    Participant

Damn you Southern/Alcorn. Well, at least Alcorn got the ball back. Keep it on the ground dammit.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Holy f*****g sh*t this is going to be on until 8:30 wtf

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Cat scores first…

Anya comes out too ‘excited’ for the ‘how many games in a row is that’…
    Duh…

Cat gets the TO…

and we are blessed to have Jamie Luckie on the floor with us tonight…
    somebody give ricky a cold beer…

Fastback68
    Participant

Anya 2 fouls??

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… after four minutes…

Anya goes to the bench with 2 fouls, 2 rebounds, 2 blocks and 0 points…
    pack with 4 turnovers…
    and shooting 1 – 6…

Wufpacker
    Participant

I think ALMKH is starting to like “resting” for the bulk of the 1st half.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I got WatchESPN working. Kind of wish I hadn’t.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Pack 2 – Deacs 3
    for those TV only guys…

Deacs 1 -9 from the floor…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 254 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.