N.C. State vs, Notre Dame – 6:30pm

Home Forums All StateFansNation N.C. State vs, Notre Dame – 6:30pm

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 433 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

It sucks being a state fan. I feel like I have been watching the same game for the last 15 years.

rthomas44
    Participant

Try being a wolfpack club member for 41 years

packbackr04
    Participant

lets just hope Archie is still available in 2016 because we have at least one more yr of this mess. Gott has earned it, but gosh does he get out coached all the time.

Rick
    Keymaster

lets just hope Archie is still available in 2016 because we have at least one more yr of this mess. Gott has earned it, but gosh does he get out coached all the time.

We will find a way to not get him. Guaranteed.

Mike
    Participant

I am tired of everyone asking for Archie. He is young and probably an up and coming coach, but good grief, some of you act like he is the second coming. There is absolutely NO guarantee Archie will do any better.

Embrace what we Gott, and support what we Gott now. What we Gott now is far better than we have had, and being united will help us. Divided will cause us to fall.

rthomas44
    Participant

I am not looking for a change at coach because Gott can recruit. Also this team will get better, just not soon enough for me.

Rick
    Keymaster

I am not looking for a change at coach because Gott can recruit. Also this team will get better, just not soon enough for me.

His recruiting is dropping like a rock. He was getting top 25 players now it is top 75 and next year he has no recruits, only a transfer commited.

Tau837
    Participant

His recruiting is dropping like a rock. He was getting top 25 players now it is top 75 and next year he has no recruits, only a transfer commited.

He already has 9 rotation players for next season: Barber, Lacey, the Martins, Henderson, Anya, Abu, Washington, and Freeman. How many top recruits do you think will sign up for that? Do you think Barber or Lacey or the Martins or our group of bigs are suddenly going to get benched?

The following class is the one he seems to be targeting, which is fine. Lacey will be gone, opening up a lot of minutes. And we will have 4 seniors in Barber, Anya, Washington, and Freeman, so it is an easier sell to good recruits to come in and play a smaller role for one season to prep for a big role the next.

On top of all of that, Gott has been great at pulling in quality transfers, and he could easily do that again for next year.

Rick
    Keymaster

He already has 9 rotation players for next season: Barber, Lacey, the Martins, Henderson, Anya, Abu, Washington, and Freeman. How many top recruits do you think will sign up for that? Do you think Barber or Lacey or the Martins or our group of bigs are suddenly going to get benched?

The following class is the one he seems to be targeting, which is fine. Lacey will be gone, opening up a lot of minutes. And we will have 4 seniors in Barber, Anya, Washington, and Freeman, so it is an easier sell to good recruits to come in and play a smaller role for one season to prep for a big role the next.

On top of all of that, Gott has been great at pulling in quality transfers, and he could easily do that again for next year.

Barber is the only player ranked below 75 (not sure about Lacey out of hs). Not to mention our big men and PG are not exactly beem tearing it up this year so I cannot imagine a top recruit being too worried about playing time but maybe you are correct. I do find it kind of humorous that you believe a top recruit would feel he could not get playing time on a middle of the road ACC team.

Its a good thing he is getting transfers as they are the only ones able to score consistentl whihc is hardly a positive for his recruiting.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Do you mean Barber is better, or worse than 75? If you mean Barber is the only player that rated as better than 75, well……

Barber was top 25, Lacey was top 30, Abu is top 50, Anya was top 60, and Caleb was right at 60.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

He already has 9 rotation players for next season: Barber, Lacey, the Martins, Henderson, Anya, Abu, Washington, and Freeman.

Dollars to doughnuts that they won’t all be back next year. Hasn’t happened yet, so I don’t look for this year to be any different.

Rick
    Keymaster

Do you mean Barber is better, or worse than 75? If you mean Barber is the only player that rated as better than 75, well……

Barber was top 25, Lacey was top 30, Abu is top 50, Anya was top 60, and Caleb was right at 60.

Thank you for correction and help with Lacey. He is obviously the best player on the team.
    I just looked it up. Abu was 56, the Martins 66,67. The year before Anya was 60, Cat 21, Washington 91 and everyone else higher.
    It looks like 50-70 is our sweet spot. If you look at the trend I feel comfortable in saying the recruiting is trending downward. Two years ago he recruited three McD AAs (of course they all left).
    I don’t think of Gott as a “coach em up” type of coach so I am not convinced this is good enough.

Rick
    Keymaster

He already has 9 rotation players for next season: Barber, Lacey, the Martins, Henderson, Anya, Abu, Washington, and Freeman.

Dollars to doughnuts that they won’t all be back next year. Hasn’t happened yet, so I don’t look for this year to be any different.

I think Gott is averaging two transfers a year (maybe more).

pakfanistan
    Participant

5 people have left the program, including Jaqawn Raymond, who wouldn’t sniff the floor for us, De Thaey, who seemed to have promise, but decided to play pro ball in Europe, and Tyler Harris, who I’m pretty sure transferred because his Dad is a nut job.

ryebread
    Participant

I think the right way to recruit in this day and age, if you are NC State (and really anyone who isn’t Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas and maybe Arizona/UCLA) is to add 2-3 top 45-85 guys and try to pair him with one top line, top 30 player. That gives you continuity to build on with the 45-85 guys and one really special player that might tip you over the top.

Some of those guys won’t pan out, and some will transfer. Count on losing 1 player to attrition each year. That’s college basketball at this point.

We’re doing fine with the top 45-85 guys. The problems in talent are:
    1) Cat’s not delivering to top 25 caliber.
    2) Lacey’s the only other top 25 kid we have and he’s a junior.
    3) Last year’s class did not deliver a top 25 kid.
    4) Barring something unforeseen, this year’s class won’t deliver a top 25 kid.

Other than Warren, under Gott, none of the top 25 kids have really panned out. Now, some of them were from Lowe and that’s fine, but it does create a ripple effect. If you’re a top 25 kid, who do we have to point to that broke through (other than Warren)? It makes it harder to get top 25 kids.

This staff does a lot of things right, and this is the best we’ve had since V. They seemingly don’t do a lot of the little things that put a team over the top well. Therefore they’ll have to recruit to tip them over the top. I’m not seeing the top line talent to do it.

Rick
    Keymaster

5 people have left the program, including Jaqawn Raymond, who wouldn’t sniff the floor for us, De Thaey, who seemed to have promise, but decided to play pro ball in Europe, and Tyler Harris, who I’m pretty sure transferred because his Dad is a nut job.

Thank you for the correction. So we have averaged 1 and 2/3 transfers under Gott (two of which were McD AAs). I think the point that assuming everyone will be back is not a given.

Mike
    Participant

Are you saying Purvis staying would have been a good thing? Good riddance! 0 was a cancer off the court and his production on the court was not much better. His number was appropriate because that is what he added to the team. From what I understand, same issues are happening again with him. Head cases at one place usually end up head cases elsewhere too – people do not change.

We can debate TL all day long, but I think in the end he saw his PT was going to diminish because of the other talent Gott was bringing in. He chose to jump ship and good luck.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I feel like I have been watching the same game for the last 15 years.

Like “Groundhog Day”. But remember that Murray practiced that day over and over, got better at everything then finally broke out of the cycle 🙂

Tau837
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tau837 wrote:</div>

By this point last year, there was reason to believe Tyler would transfer. By this point the previous season, Purvis was struggling to fit in. Painter was for family reasons. IMO the other transfers were fallout from coaching transition.

This team is different. There are no signs of disgruntled players, i.e., no signs of Tyler/Purvis situations. Everyone in the rotation seems to have accepted his role, even as those roles and associated playing time have varied. There is no coaching transition, so no reason for that to cause a transfer.

I don’t expect any transfers out. I’ll put up a box of donuts against your dollars…

Tau837
    Participant

Two years ago he recruited three McD AAs (of course they all left).

I don’t see how you can spin Warren leaving as a negative for Gott’s recruiting or coaching.

Yes, unfortunately, Tyler was overmatched at the major conference level… again, that doesn’t reflect on Gott’s coaching… I suppose you could argue that he should have recognized his deficiencies and not recruited him… is that what you are suggesting? Then the critics would be more empowered to say Gott never gets top recruits…

Yes, unfortunately, Purvis had a bad attitude. I suppose that could reflect on Gott… not able to manage him effectively, not able to coach him up…

So “they all left” reflects some negativity on Gott, but not as bad as implied.

Tau837
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>VaWolf82 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tau837 wrote:</div>

In 4 offseasons to date:

Lewis
    Purvis
    Painter
    Harris
    TDT
    Raymond
    Harrow

I’d chalk 4 of them up to coaching transition, which is no longer a factor. And only 2 of the players have been Gott’s recruits. Meanwhile, Gott has brought in these transfers:

Lacey
    Turner
    Henderson
    Lee
    Johnson

IMO we have come out ahead on these as a whole.

Tau837
    Participant

this is the best we’ve had since V

Agree. IMO people who wish for a Gott replacement should be careful what they wish for.

Rick
    Keymaster

I guess i was right, it is more than two players a year.

Spin away

ancsu87
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wulfpack wrote:</div>
    The bubble did not burst. We’re still going dancing. We’ll win the next three and set up another big one with the Hoos. This team can play some ball. It just hurts to lose when your up 18 at home against a top 10 team that were better than. Should have definitely won it. It stings and will affect seeding (we’ll be seeded high yet again). We always seem to like to make it tough on ourselves.

We’ll see, a win against Duke can only take you so far. If we do make it, I am guessing we will be in the ejector seat.<br>
    Gott is an offensive Sendek.

That is one hell of an upgrade.

Regarding his recruiting I would take the kids he has now over the three McD’s players. First of all Purvis has shown nothing at UConn and Tyler was overmatched. Cat will be a good JR and great SR. but so will some of our FR and SO that we’re not McD’s. Warren was only McD that meet his potential.

I recall that Jim Valvano reflected after the Washburn incidents that he would rather take good solid players he could mold in Good college BB players rather than fooling with trying to get all McD AAs. Thus Chucky Brown, Del Negro and Gugs. In this day and age unless your KU or Duke I would rather get the steady solid players that stay for 4 years with the Warren type McD AA throw in occasionally. That is how you build and sustain a program.

Rick
    Keymaster

. In this day and age unless your KU or Duke I would rather get the steady solid players that stay for 4 years with the Warren type McD AA throw in occasionally.

I happen to agree but there are a couple of problems with your theory in regards to NCSU.
    1) We are averaging two players a year to transfer. So we either are always going to be young or bring in transfers. Neither of which fit into your scenario.
    2) Recruiting that TJ Warren type player. Two years ago I guess you could argue Cat is supposed to be that player. He’s not. This year. no player like that. Next year, no player like that.

So to sumarize, we lose too many players to be able to rely on four year players and we have not been able to recruit a “TJ Warren” type player in two (and you could argue three) years. We are not exactly following that particular path to success.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 433 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.