N.C. State vs. La. Tech – 7pm

Home Forums All StateFansNation N.C. State vs. La. Tech – 7pm

Viewing 23 posts - 251 through 273 (of 273 total)
  • Author
    Texpack
    Participant

WulfPack – I’d say that’s a reasonable take. We are so perimeter oriented that we will be very hot and cold. We do play enough defense to keep us in some games and weather some dry spells, but the dance is a real reach for this year. I’m very disappointed in the offense from the bigs. That’s what we lack to be a dangerous team, but we are 13 games in and I just don’t see it. Maybe the light goes on for somebody, but I doubt it at this point.

pakfanistan
    Participant

In the cold, harsh light of morning, I’m still bothered by our inability to handle pressure.

Saw Gott’s postgame comments about them breaking our press, and thought, maybe we should go back and watch that part of the tape for pointers.

Will someone who knows more about this than me break down what it takes to beat a pressure defense?

Fastback68
    Participant

Just read the thread. It’s like walking up on the aftermath of a rave. Lots of bodies lying about but you can tell just about everyone had a good time.

Bill, at just the right angle, all of those crows could be eliminated with just one shot. 10 gauge, I tell you.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^F68… go for it.. take that shot.

where’s wufpup this morning?

paky… nothing to break down…

the best way (only high percentage way) to beat a press… is too pass the ball over the press and stay the F out of the corners and traps..

ball should never touch the floor until you’re 2/3 -3/4 down the floor…
    PASS and CATCH to SPOTS

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Honestly, that’s pretty much what I thought.

We just don’t do it and struggle so much I figured there must be some nuance I’m missing.

Rick
    Keymaster

Bill hit the nail on the head.
    Pass and attack.
    Being passive is death.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

thanks for the vote of confidence Rick…

we’re not missing anything except a little improvement and some success…

The difference in the second half v. WVa was KW was the middleman (the wheel and key to success )

Here’s how it should work…
    1. Big#1 takes the ball out..
    2. Big#1 passes over everybody to Big#2 – the wheel…
    3. Big#2 turns and faces his basket – the ball never drops below his head
    4. Cat is MOVING ONTO one spot, Lacey in MOVING ONTO the other spot – both across half court on opposite sides…
    5. Big#2 passes over everybody to the Open Cat or Lacey…
    OR
    6. Big#2 is patient and sees if either Cat or Lacey open up
    OR
    7. Big#2 passes to either his Other guy (Safety valve) who’s open moving cross court on his side of half court …
    who then passes to Cat or Lacey OR .. or to Big#1 who should be across the court and near halfcourt by now… who doesn’t dribble but passes forward to somebody… or back to Big#2…
    OR
    8. Big#2 takes the foul…

Now… the man taking the ball – Big#1 – is heavily defended…
    the middle guy- Big#2 is getting double teamed…
    So … somebody is open somewhere… ’cause there’s only two of their guys covering three of ours…
    especially when Big#1 is quicker down the court than his defender…

And… as a bonus… all this works TEN TIMES better when Big#1 is under the basket and takes the ball out and passes back in in less than TWO seconds…

Math / Numbers are your friends.

There is no doubt in my mind…. these kids have drilled this over and over…
    But the guys they are running against during the game ain’t the same guys they practice against…

So what do we need to improve…
    Big#1… doing this last thing… and everybody else being in the right SPOT… and we are a tad bit ‘slow’ all the way around the court… during the game…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Check that…

wufpup… what’s your email address?

Hello! Sorry – just being lazy this morning. You can e-mail me at wufpack76 @ hotmail .com

redcanine
    Participant

We know UNC (Roy) is known for scoring quickly after an opponent’s made basket. Getting the ball in VERY quickly helps prevent the defense from setting up the trap and fortifying the time line. Meeks is great at that. He sorta backpedals to the inbounds line while keeping his eyes down court. IMO,it begins there. Plus, IMO, we need to give the inbound passer some space (like 20 feet or so) so that he can make a pass with a little steam behind it.

Pressing teams are athletic teams. Play your most athletic players and you have a chance.

Edit: Didn’t see Bill’s post at first. Good stuff.

Rick
    Keymaster

. There is no doubt in my mind…. these kids have drilled this over and over…

I do doubt as i see no principles as you discussed.

The only tweak to what you wrote is changing based on the type of press changes where to attack

Gowolves
    Participant

Rick I mean this in all seriousness. What do you think they do during practice? If they don’t practice freethrows, defense, full press execution, inbound passes, etc, do they just sit around and sing hymns? I bet hipster has a great voice.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^… and when we win … it’s all due to “Amazing Grace”
    and when we lose it’s “Come Sunday”… and “Lord, Help Us Please”…

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick I mean this in all seriousness. What do you think they do during practice? If they don’t practice freethrows, defense, full press execution, inbound passes, etc, do they just sit around and sing hymns? I bet hipster has a great voice.

Nice ad hominem, however I questioned whether they practiced breaking a press as bill described it above.

Since we have struggled mightily against any team that had pressed us, we either do not practice how to properly break a press or the players cannot pick it up.

I have seen the same problems year to year. Bad defense, losing leads, sub par rebng etc.

Rick
    Keymaster

^… and when we win … it’s all due to “Amazing Grace”
    and when we lose it’s “Come Sunday”… and “Lord, Help Us Please”…

You should be better than this bill. Why do some of you get so upset at a differing point of view?

tjfoose1
    Participant

Why do some of you get so upset at a differing point of view?

That’s funny.

It’s not a differing point of view. It’s the same old same old, over and over and over. Regardless of win or lose, sport, or coach.

I doubt any regular visitor doubts what they’re about to read when they see your username.

Surprise us once and pass on the bashing. Add a nugget of insight. Just once.

Rick
    Keymaster

Why do some of you get so upset at a differing point of view?

That’s funny.

It’s not a differing point of view. It’s the same old same old, over and over and over. Regardless of win or lose, sport, or coach.

I doubt any regular visitor doubts what they’re about to read when they see your username.

Surprise us once and pass on the bashing. Add a nugget of insight. Just once.

Maybe it’s the same point of view because before the current coaches we have had three basketball and two football coaches with varying degrees of suck.

pakfanistan
    Participant

You must realize that most people do not agree that Gott and Doeren suck.

I think Gott, in year four, is still rebuilding. I know all of his own players blah blah, but…

His first team was all Lowe players and I really think they just rolled the ball out for practice under Lowe.
    Second team was admittedly a little bit of a disappointment, but it was 1/4 head cases.
    Third team was freshmen and TJ, and they sort of over achieved, considering we lost 75% of our scoring and rebounding from the previous season.

Now here we are with his fourth team, kids are playing hard, if not always intelligently. And, arguably, this year our second best player is a freshman. They’ll get better as time goes on.

Gowolves
    Participant

I was at the TN game and I thought they handled the press just fine. Now it wasn’t as good as WVU’s press but they got the ball to the center and didn’t dribble as much.

The game against WVU was obviously played in a special place with the big lights on. Put those in the mix with the press and it was a perfect plan to screw up. I don’t count count this team out just yet.

Rick
    Keymaster

I have never said Doreen sucks.
    Neither have I said Gott ‘sucks’. He is a pretty good coach with consistent flaws. He needs superior Tashkent to win but his recruiting is dropping off.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Merry Christmas, ricky…

Hope you and your family have a great day!

Rick
    Keymaster

Same to you Bill.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I have never said Doreen sucks.<br>
    Neither have I said Gott ‘sucks’. He is a pretty good coach with consistent flaws. He needs superior Tashkent to win but his recruiting is dropping off.

You’re right, I misread.

Merry Christmas Rick.

Rick
    Keymaster

I have never said Doreen sucks.<br>

You’re right, I misread.

Merry Christmas Rick.

No problem. I have my concerns about Gott but he is the best we have had in a while.

Merry Christmas to you as well. Let’s all good for an even better year never year.

Viewing 23 posts - 251 through 273 (of 273 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.