N.C. State vs. Clemson – 9pm

Home Forums All StateFansNation N.C. State vs. Clemson – 9pm

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 339 total)
  • Author
    SaccoV
    Participant

Gott’s comments postgame did not instill much confidence in me. He said the phrase ‘There’s no doubt about it’ three times. Mentioned how practice tomorrow is going to be about seeing who’s tough. Apparently neither player nor coach, Mr. Gottfried. If you’re only finding out now how tough your team is, the season is over.

13OT
    Participant

Tonight, we looked like we were playing UNC in the Dean Dome.

Something is obviously wrong with a team when it loses an 18-point lead and then gets down by 23 points, both in the first half of consecutive home games.

I have noticed in quite a few games this season that Kyle Washington seldom if ever plays much in the final 10 minutes or so of our games. We certainly could have used his long arms to snare a few defensive rebounds during the stretch just after we’d cut the lead to 3 and then fell back a few more. The game was still very much up for grabs, but Clemson killed us inside in the final minutes of the game.

Barber, Washington and Lacey to me are the 3 players who MUST produce if we’re going to win against decent competition. I’d like to see a 6-man rotation of those 3 plus Abu and the Martin twins play the vast majority of our games, at least early on. I think Turner would be more effective off the bench when we really needed a spark, as would Anya.

Inconsistent defense, poor shot selection, and a propensity to turn the ball over at the worst times continue to plague this team. Now, apparently a lack of heart has been thrown into the mix.

I don’t really know what’s going on here, and I don’t want to second-guess the coaches, who I don’t envy right now. But this was as awful a home first half as I’ve ever witnessed a Wolfpack team put in the books. What makes this one so confounding is that this team has shown it can play with anybody, but at other times it can’t play with nobody.

Off the bubble? Maybe the NIT bubble. As far as the NCAAT chances for this team, nothing short of running the table will put us back in Dance contention. Other than the Virginia Tech and Boston College games, it’s unlikely we’ll win any more, and in fact we COULD drop to 15-16 overall going into the ACCT.

This program should be competing to play in the ACCT on Fridays, not on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

tjfoose1
    Participant

That was ugly. Not just visually
    ugly, but ugly ugly. Rosie O’Donnell ugly, but someone already mentioned something about a fat lady.

Debbie just made a tick mark. That’s one and counting, coach.

And how do I stop this damn “Join X State Fans, who get the best NC State info direct!” pop up box from continually appearing on my phone?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I might get raked over the coals for suggesting this, but for those who may still be reading and have not made up their minds on different subjects:

Please keep in mind this was one game. I’m as furious as anyone with that ‘performance’ (it takes a special kind of bad to draw a ‘furious’ reaction from me).

There’s always nuance. The season is not over. State your opinion, of course – but that’s the thing about fandom, we tend to live and die with each separate result. A game thread is a great place to vent or spaz out, but hardly a place for a rational discussion on the direction of the program.

I’m sure we’ll have that discussion here at the appropriate time (end of season) – where everything that can and should be considered will be.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ I’d agree that the in the emotion of the moment, opinions might be irrationally extreme, either positive or negative.

But right or wrong, Gott lost a lot of support tonight. Sadly, it’s difficult to argue against it. I am personally still not anti-Gott, but I am probably less pro-Gott.

I suspect that ‘foose is correct re: tick marks.

And how do I stop this damn “Join X State Fans, who get the best NC State info direct!” pop up box from continually appearing on my phone?

No friggin’ clue. I’m presuming it’s one of the normal semi-personalized ads that are packaged together, and hopefully it will cycle out soon. But it’s bugging the bejesus out of me too, fwiw.

rthomas44
    Participant

Gott is our coach win or lose! No one on this site has ever hired a BB coach, but a lot would like to fire one,….makes no sense!

MattN
    Participant

It’s over. The season is over. If you can’t beat CLEMSON in basketball at home, you’re done. Gott has lost this team.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It’s a long season – the season is not over. Sure, we are behind the eight ball now and have heavy lifting to do, but it is by no means over.

What is so maddening about this team is it is consistently inconsistent. We showed we can play very good basketball against the upper tier (Duke, UVA, UNC and Notre Dame). Should have certainly won more than just one of those. But tonight was just a dud (as was the ND second half).

One respected poster made the comment following the Duke win that we as a program do not handle success well. That couldn’t be more true as we are 1-4 since that game.

We can still get to where we want to go this season despite this setback. But we have made it much harder on ourselves than it needs to be. The talent in the roster is clearly there, but the execution comes and goes. Very frustrating indeed.

Rick
    Keymaster

THe only question left is can Gott pull off his patented “end of the year bubble run”.

If we lose out on Archie I think I might be done with NCSU basketball. IMO getting rid of Gott is inevitable. We see what he can and cannot do. Do we screw up losing our only alumn who is a great coaching prospect? NCSU history says we can screw up free ice cream.

tjfoose1
    Participant

It’s over. The season is over. If you can’t beat CLEMSON in basketball at home, you’re done. Gott has lost this team.

I wouldn’t go that far. I have season tickets and was about to go to the game, but then thought… Given then last 2 games, I was kinda expecting a performance like we saw. I didn’t want to particularly waste my evening watching it. So I passed.

Like I referenced pregame, I suspected this team had some MOC in it.

But anyway, its a rollercoaster. This team still has several climbs and drops this season, the success of the season depends on the magnitude and duration.

Still a few big upsets left to be dealt BY the Pack. I suspect another late season spike too.

But about that tick mark… the high marks will keep you around for a while. Inconsistency will get you gone.

That stated, with Gott’s overall performance, he’s fine. For now. Besides, we’re not attracting a better overall coach anytime soon.

But with a few more tick marks, that won’t matter any more.

Show us something, Coach.

Fastback68
    Participant

I just thankful I attended State (’84-’89)and was able to experience an ACC championship in ’87.

I did my five year stretch during the same time frame and it was awesome except for that 21-20 home loss to UNX freshman year.

In other news – After two hours of an agonizing delivery, another loss weighing 7.9 Courics.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Agree w/ Wufpacker and Foose, here.

Also, my post was certainly meant to be neutral and objective. I’m a firm believer in evaluating the good, bad, and everything else in-between before reaching any type of conclusion. Also, with a coach evaluation there’s so much more to consider than just ‘results’.

Completely agree on the ‘tick mark’ concept. If this particular team doesn’t fight it’s way into the Tournament that is a big red ‘X’ for me. To me, there aren’t but so many of those ‘X’s you can have.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Halfway through the ACC season and we are still trying to figure out who are point guard is. That’s not a good sign.

Archie is a can’t miss hire for whomever gets him. His pops and bro got it, and he got it, too.

Thinkpack17
    Participant

I keep hearing Archie’s name brought up. Is there intel out there that suggests we have a shot at him? Even with Gott’s existing contract?

Or are we just hoping we get a hometown discount?

eas
    Participant

Let me first say I am not an anti-Gott guy. HOWEVER, at year number 4 here is where we are:

1. Just as inconsistent today as we were 4 years ago.

2. It’s clear the talent is there but that’s as far as it goes. We are making nothing out of it.

3. The problem here is NOT just one game and no the sky isn’t falling. However, again in 4 years we are still the same with Better talent?????

4. We are STILL a bubble team at best.

5. NO offense at all. NONE…that’s all that needs to be said.

6. Year 4 and still don’t have a PG of ACC quality.

7. Why not play 10 players and run the press full time? You have to be blind not to see it works with this team.

8. Defense is still not good.

9. I’m not saying Dez is ACC caliber BUT he does well enough to get more time. His defense was great last night. Yes, he is out of control a lot but he sure as heck ain’t scared to drive the ball!!!

10. The CAT project is basically a fluke. He is worse now than when he got here. Everybody likes him but again it’s obvious his best attribute is defense.

11. The team is still as unorganized as it was when Lowe was here.

Again, we are still a bubble team at best in year 4. That’s just a simple fact. Argue about all the other points but the fact is still the same. Bubble team at best.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Season On The Stink

TheCOWDOG

I have a question,since it was inferred at points in the game thread.

It is something that I’ve been watching for roughly 2 weeks, now.

Am I the only one noticing an insidious little green gremlin that crept up, surrounding #22, #1 and #14, #15?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^No.

… the question of the day is “Who, among the players will be ‘the green goblin killer’ ?”…

… that’s not Coach’s job.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redcanine
    Participant

Why in the world did we stop taking it to the hole? Clemson was in major foul trouble, we were sinking our free throws, and all of a sudden we start running Turner up and down the baseline. This is with 10 minutes left. Why? No Tigers fouled out! Brad Brownell says “thanks”.

They were fouling us every possession! We were getting 2 free throws! Then we start playing keep away?

And while I’m venting…

-early in the season we couldn’t score against a zone
    -then we couldn’t score against a press
    -all the while we couldn’t score inside
    -Now we can’t score against a straight up man to man
    -and when we actually MAKE our foul shots, we play like we never want to get back to the stripe!

JasonP
    Participant

Players (and some fans) having a pity party. Hope they snap out of it. Best way to do that is decide that if you’re going down, go down swinging. We’ll see who on the team has that kind of grit and determination. This is all on the players, btw – all 3 losses in this current streak, esp Lacey and Turner.

Oh, and Archie ain’t walking through that door anytime soon. Do yourselves a favor and snap to reality on that. We’ve got our coach for the next few seasons at least, so suck it up.

MattN
    Participant

Foose, it’s over. We blew a winnable game at Miami, blew a MONUMENTAL lead at home to ND, and got run off our own court by…CLEMSON. There is no silver lining. We are trash. It’s. Over.

modobrew
    Participant

eas, I couldn’t have said it better. I thought the same thing pretty much the entire game last night, even went as far as mentioning that same sentiment to my wife. Until we have a true ACC caliber point guard, learn how to play defense, and quit having games where we can’t make wide open lay ups….we are going to be a bubble team at best.

This team has shown a lot of promise in several games, but their inconsistencies in the others is mind boggling. How we go on 18-0 runs and then go cold for 10+ minutes shooting 0-12+ is unbelievable. I hope something clicks with this team and we finish strong, but the #WTNY syndrome is already beginning to set in. It’s all just very frustrating. oh well….

tractor57
    Participant

I dozed off for most of the first half and apparently the snooze was a better choice. I’m disappointed not so much with the loss rather then huge hole that was dug while I snoozed. That said I’m not swearing off Pack BB or calling for the chancellor to be fired over last night. At the end of the season there will be time to evaluate the year as a whole.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I have a question,since it was inferred at points in the game thread.

It is something that I’ve been watching for roughly 2 weeks, now.

Am I the only one noticing an insidious little green gremlin that crept up, surrounding #22, #1 and #14, #15?

^I really, really hope this is not the case. Going by only game footage though, it is at least suggestible.

When the offense looks as bad as it did in the first half last night, I find it hard to fathom that it’s an execution only problem.

packbackr04
    Participant

“If we lose out on Archie I think I might be done with NCSU basketball. IMO getting rid of Gott is inevitable. We see what he can and cannot do. Do we screw up losing our only alumn who is a great coaching prospect? NCSU history says we can screw up free ice cream.”

^this times 10 Rick!

CD^ how do any of them have the right to be jealous? and who exactly are they jealous of? they are all getting a ton of burn, and none of them (outside of Lacey) are really making much out of it.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 339 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.