Muschamp To Step Down at Florida

Home Forums StateFans Football Muschamp To Step Down at Florida

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Will Muschamp is stepping down after the close of the regular season. Mullen anyone?

Greywolf
    Participant

With a “quality win” over Eastern Kentucky (or FSU) they will be bowl eligible. 😉 In another post I commented about context being decisive. In the context of Florida’s football history and their being in the SEC a 6-6 season is NOT acceptable and it’s appropriate for Muschamp to step down. For Florida to decline a bowl in their situation might even be appropriate.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Anything but a conference championship there is unacceptable. Forget bowl games. He’ll make a fine D coordinator but he could not get the offense figured out.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

.. if true… that’s worth 7pts against the Noles on November 29th..
    but a win probably won’t reverse the course of events…

To add to what’s stated above by Grey and Wuf…
    the context in Gainesville… is this… if you think they GOTT a$$holes with unrealistic expectations of glory and success in Chapel Hill… just head on down to Gainesville and see for yourself… GatorHoles make the folks in Chapel Hill look like choir boys..

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    LRM
    Keymaster

Think about this: five years ago he was the coach-in-waiting at Texas.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Foley extended Muschamp’s contract twice and gave him a raise. Because of those shows of good faith, Florida owes Muschamp more than $6 million for the final three years left on his deal.

Paying off the rest of the coaching staff could cost about another $2 million.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/16/4327593/ap-source-muschamp-out-as-florida.html?sp=/99/103/119/#storylink=cpy

StateFans
    Keymaster

Could Muschamp land a head coaching job somewhere else?

JackWolf
    Keymaster

We should throw the bank at that guy, even if it was just for a season or 2.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Not to nitpick, but saying that Muschamp is stepping down is a bit ambiguous, and infers that he made a decision to do so. AD Foley fired Muschamp on Sunday morning after the loss to The University of Stupid Chickens on Saturday. Will agreed to coach the final two regular season games, but not the bowl game, which ends up being a shame because I have seen some bowl projections that had State playing Florida in the Duck Commander Independence Bowl in Shreveport. I wonder how JB would feel about a Pack-Gator match-up, with or without Muschamp.

Maybe Foley should look in the mirror. Yeah, I know, he hired Urban Meyer, but Urban had previous head coaching experience. However, his other two hires, Ron Zook and Muschamp had no head coaching experience, and UF paid the price for those faux pas.

Wulfpack
    Participant

And he lands firmly on his feet as Aubie’s D Coordinator. Monster contract. Interestingly interviewed at Houston for the head job. Flirted with TAMU and South Carolina as well.

Pack92
    Participant

I don’t blame him for not wanting/getting Houston. That school is 3rd tier in TX for football. A&M would have been a totally different story.
    Auburn is going to be VERY scary next year with him as DC. The man simply produces outstanding defenses period. Couple that to a Malzahn point-producing offense and it could get ugly…for the opposing teams.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I agree 92. Huge win for Aubie. And I would think if Gus gets an NFL gig in the next few years the Tigers just may have their man in house.

Texpack
    Participant

I was glad he chose Auburn. I’ll go to 2-3 UH games a year for the next three years while the youngest kid is going there. I certainly didn’t want to watch his coaching brilliance.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.