Muschamp: No Interest in Scheduling FCS Teams

Home Forums StateFans Football Muschamp: No Interest in Scheduling FCS Teams

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Interesting comments from Florida’s Muschamp. Recall our opening game opponent, Ga Southern, topped Florida last year. His points are worth reading, in light of (most of) our fanbase’s displeasure with these games.

DESTIN, Fla. — Florida coach Will Muschamp wants to avoid playing teams from the Football Championship Subdivision.

And not because the Gators lost to lower-division Georgia Southern last year.

Speaking at the Southeastern Conference’s annual spring meetings Tuesday, Muschamp said he would prefer a 12-game schedule that features eight league teams, in-state rival Florida State and three more teams from the Football Bowl Subdivision.

“We’re probably going to move forward without playing FCS opponents,” Muschamp said, noting that his reasoning primarily has to do with getting his team in the best position to make the college football playoff that begins next season.

“And I think our fan base wants to see better opponents,” he added.

The topic was one of many addressed during the opening day of the SEC meetings, where talk focused on conference autonomy, potential rules changes and an early signing period for college football.
    Muschamp’s boss and several other SEC coaches don’t seem ready to close the door on lower-division teams.

“I understand what Will’s saying,” Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said. “In a perfect world, you play all D-I schools. But also you have to have 12 opponents.”

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10991805

ancsu87
    Participant

I think he prefers to play a weak FBS than a strong FCS team that can kick his ass like Ga Southern did. Less downside in the polls and perception that way.

nav
    Participant

^Agreed. I can see the Northwestern, Kentucky, Duke(regardless of last season), and Wake’s of the world getting many offers to play big time schools.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.