Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

There is no doubt in my mind Abu is a future NBA talent, but to go this year would be crazy. Next year he’s probably a second rounder, and if he stays and develops for two years he could be a first round pick.

The Martin’s have no shot at the NBA. They just don’t have elite level skills. They do a lot of things well, but nothing that would get them to the NBA. The frustrating part is they are excellent role players, and that is something we desperately need. Someone asked Julius Hodge what he thought of their transfer, and he simply said they better get their masters degree.

Khan
    Participant

— Josh Powell says Hi.

— Lol at comparing Abu to Hickson.

— Status quo continues.

choppack1
    Participant

If that the case Yow should have been fired and Gott fired together immediately after the hiring.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I tried to merge the Martin Twin thread with this one that covers all transfers, but couldn’t. It might be because I created the Twin thread under Basketball and this one was automatically created once the article was posted to the main page. In any event, I closed the Twin thread.

If you have something in the other thread that you were especially attached to, you can always repeat it here.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ I’ve never been able to get merge to work correctly Va. Wish it would just let us type in the title instead of having to choose from incomplete list, which has literally never included the one I need.

TheCOWDOG

Thanks Va. I had a couple, but they were deleted by a key master with no cojones. (Which eliminates you.)

Wufpacker
    Participant

Thanks Va. I had a couple, but they were deleted by a key master with no cojones. (Which eliminates you.)

‘Dog, for all you know it is possible that it is part of my evil plan to…Shit, I dunno, haven’t figured that part out.

TheCOWDOG

Lloyd! “The best damned bartender from Portland,Maine to Portland,Oregon.”

choppack1
    Participant

I can see Grady talking to Gott now…” The twins have been very naughty, if i may be so bold…you must correct them.”

Rick
    Keymaster

I deleted your ignorant posts that added nothing to the conversation. Now you can stop whining like a spurned school girl and go back to fellating Gott.

budfox88
    Participant

Gott can’t keep talent. Gott can’t develop (bigs). Gott can’t coach (clock, TO’s, execution, xo’s, FT%, FG%, live/mostly die by 3, on and on). Gott can’t develop a team atmosphere (worst issue imo). These are arguable points, especially to those who haven’t witnessed greatness. I feel excoriated by any comparisons between Jimmy V and Gott. I lost respect for Gott in the CJLeslie era, and the problems have only gotten worse since. And, nice work DY on giving the raise/extension, damn! It must be hilarious to the tarholes! We have serious problems, and recruiting will get even worse now. Gott has to go, unless we want to continue being beat up by the blues (and stripes).

tractor57
    Participant

SFN has become not better than other sites : “I deleted your ignorant posts that added nothing to the conversation. Now you can stop whining like a spurned school girl and go back to fellating Gott”

As mod your right ditch posts. The comments are over the top.

Rick
    Keymaster

SFN has become not better than other sites : “I deleted your ignorant posts that added nothing to the conversation. Now you can stop whining like a spurned school girl and go back to fellating Gott”

As mod your right ditch posts. The comments are over the top.

I have grown tired of his constant insults and just because I an a mod doesn’t mean I have to take them.

Of another mod thinks I went to far they can delete it

gso packbacker
    Participant

While I admire your use of medical speak to insult someone, one would think that as a moderator you ahould be above it. Does telling someone they suck the coaches “USC mascot” not cross some line???

Let me know because I gott some good ones!!!

gso packbacker
    Participant

Rick, when you whip it out like that, sometimes you get fellated, sometimes you get slapped, and other times you just get laughed at.

ryebread
    Participant

I have no issue with the moderation of this site. We’ve got some personalities and that’s part of the fun. The discussion is typically pretty good and I’d imagine most of us would really enjoy sitting down and watching a game over a beer together. Maybe some day if we were ever in one place.

As for the topic, I fully expected Cat to be gone after this year and thought Abu was 50/50 (played his way into 50/50 in the ACC). History suggested 1 other departure, but I didn’t expect it to be the twins (just because package deals are harder to “move”). I suspect Abu to be gone if any one NBA GM gives him even a suggestion that they might take him. He’s seemingly consistently reported a 2 year plan.

We’ve got a replacement for Cat in DSJ. I think realistically it’s a lateral replacement at the best, and that’s if Smith is as good as billed and fully recovered. With respect to the twins, we have Dorn, Henderson and Mav, so we’re probably okay at the wings (for starters).

We’ve got no replacement for Abu. We’ve got no depth at all. If Freeman cannot recover (and if I were him I’d think long and hard about my long term plan), we have Anya in the middle with lightly used Kirk and that is it. I know we’re after some recruits, but they’re late scramble type gets.

I just don’t see a pipeline. We’ve been rebooting every year, and the defenders said this season was an aberration. It looks to me like a trend.

I read where some are hoping assistants fix this. We know we have one opening, and I fully expect a second. My response to that is that if the hope to fix basketball is by replacing assistants, then we know what needs to be done.

The best thing that probably happened in all of this was Arch getting an extension. He’s seemingly out of play this year. I can only dream that that extension gives him some sort of lowered buyout to come to State.

Yow and Gott are seemingly a package deal and have been for a while. Given how their contracts line up, we’ve seemingly got one more year (at least) of each. Fun times.

But hey, we have two Sweet 16s……….

Wufpacker
    Participant

OK, OK….I’m not in the mood to do any deleting of other mods or anyone else. And since the subject of this thread is a topic on everyone’s mind right now, how ’bout we don’t force its premature death?
    Let’s try to get back on topic folks.

EDIT – Thank you rye…always the voice of reason.

TheCOWDOG

T57. It’s Lil’ Ricky. Big belt buckle, little dick.
    That is, when he ain’the tap dancing like Shirley Temple.

Self-awareness is elusive. Hypocrisy abundant. Keep showing your ass, boy. We wouldn’t have it any other way.

MP
    Participant

On topic: Hate to hear about the twins leaving. But good points on their expectations and the players we have in place for their position(s).

Off topic(?): SMH.

Wufpacker
    Participant

DON’T MAKE ME TURN THIS BLOG AROUND!!!!!!!

pakfanistan
    Participant

Discomfort to the politburo! May your anus itch uncontrollably in public!

I’m bummed to see the Martins go. They had warts for sure, but I wanted them to be our double barrel Greivis Vasquez.

Wufpacker
    Participant

LMAO

Tau837
    Participant

Best case scenario for next season:

PG – Smith, Dorn?
    SG – Henderson, Dorn
    SF – Mav, Dorn, Kirk
    PF – Abu, Freeman
    C – Unknown, Anya

Where unknown is a starter caliber grad transfer or recruit (e.g., the Turk). That is a better roster than 2015-16, but still thin on depth at guard.

Worst case scenario, Abu goes pro, and we don’t get the unknown player (or he isn’t starter-caliber). Then we’re looking at:

PG – Smith, Dorn?
    SG – Henderson, Dorn
    SF – Mav, Dorn, Kirk
    PF – Freeman, Unknown? Mav, Kirk
    C – Anya, Freeman, Unknown?

(At least I hope that is the worst case scenario…)

That roster is comparable to 2015-16 in overall talent/depth, better at guard/wing, but weaker inside. That roster means another losing season like 2015-16.

Very disappointing developments. If Abu stays, we have a chance at a decent season next year. Either way, Gott’s seat is a lot hotter right now than it was a week ago, and justifiably so. IMO he is now coaching/recruiting for his job, with one more year to accomplish something significant or else.

Packzingo
    Participant

I come to this site because most of the participants are much more versed on the day to day activities than I will ever be. I find most informative and some entertaining 🙂 Its got to be a bit*ch to try to moderate comments on a site with all the sh*t storms that seem to descend on the Pack.

Just a comment about Henderson and a sixth year:
    I remember seeing comments about “5 years to play 4” and “transferring was a choice” so in this case, Henderson would be penalized and lose that option for a 6th year since he was injured….
    But I remember something about a BYU quarterback (Hill?) that was granted a 6th year several months ago. I know it centered around his involvement in “mission” plus an injury and just wondered how the NCAA could grant an extra year for a Mission plus Injury -vs- a transfer plus injury. It seems to me the decision to do the Mission was a Choice that is comparable to a Choice to Transfer….?? Maybe I’m off base …… just something else that I hoped would add another
    year to see what Henderson could bring to the table.

Happy Good Friday!! LOL

Adventuroo
    Participant

FYI,

From sources inside the Martin Twin’s high school. Their former coach NEVER, EVER saw (or was consulted) this coming. He found out via the media.

No one has a clue as to WHAT the issue(s) were….except that they are Identical twins and very close. They like to be on the court together and next year, the line-up, potentially, lessens their mutual PT.

Other SPECULATIONS were about academics…..but that was PURELY an offhanded comment.

No one expects them to be scooped up by a Power 5 Player.

I’m bummed out about this event….but I’m even more distressed about the final Gott Coach’s show….and the ONE before that. Gott did NOT even show up for the next to last (during the ACC Tourney) show. Tony did it SOLO….and it was not much of a show. Valvano did his live and it was one of the most watched of his career.

However, when the final show came on, Coach Gott was unapologetic and talked about the many games that we had lost by single digits or a possession. I remember two that we should have WON by double digits (HP and BC) and we looked POOR. Therefore, I am more upset by the lack of Defense and also the lack of “Skill” utilization this year.

The Martins were a real contributor this year and I hate to see them go. Kirk is the big question mark….Abu seems too level headed to be swayed by a Prof Harold Hill selling his NBA snake oil….but you never KNOW….Lacey drank from that cup and Eve did NOT come across with the goodies he was promised.

One final point, DY and MG go WAY, WAY back. They were friends when she was an AD or maybe coaching and have kept in touch. She may be having second thoughts, but she will never publicly or privately, for that matter, express that thought. I guess we shall see….

There was a post about TWO coaching positions. Assuming that Gott and Lutz are “protected”, then Orlando Early is the only other “coach”, in title.

What IS the word on that?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.