Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    BullPack
    Participant

Can his father recruit and coach defense?

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Sign him up. I’d like to buy some team gear at discounted prices

BJD95
    Keymaster

Ha, I guess that’s the fallback option for the Joe Dooley assistant coaching slot.

Adventuroo
    Participant

The more I think and ponder about demoting Lutz, the more I am now beginning to question our overall direction. I gave the AD a mulligan for the obtuse and contorted path that let to Coach Gottfried. That worked out well for a while. BUT, now we begin to see unraveling of the program.

Lutz was the one Assistant (Associate, Technically) that really was a true Coach. He has the intelligence, the moxey and the experience to provide a good balance between the spiffy ESPN honed coach and reality.

This comedy of errors reminds me of “The Gang that Couldn’t Shoot Straight”….except this is supposed to be a serious subject.

Obviously Joe Dooley is probably still staying at the Credit Union. Don’t know if he got his raise or not. He had some good points, but compared to Lutz, he was a minor leaguer. I now seriously question, as a lot of other WPC members, whether we have a logical and cohesive plan to be a “Consistent Top 25” program.

The above is a major shift for me….and it also reflects a lot of family discussions and comments….and we are a solid WP family.

I guess we will find out when we find out. The Wake County Coaches Caravan seems to have lost a LOT of momentum. I had already signed up otherwise, I would have passed this year. The only bright spot, other than that unfortunate GT scoring fiasco yesterday, is the baseball team. So, I guess that Elliott will be one of the featured speakers.

Twill be interesting to see how the attendance is this year versus last year. Last year we had the Embers….this year we have the PNC DJ. NOT a good sign.

Rick
    Keymaster

Ben Carter who is a PF from UNLV is transferring from the program and can play immediately. NC State is one of his scheduled visits. From the little I’ve read about the guy, here is what I found:

– Initially played for Oregon. Was suspended 9 games for selling team gear;
    – Transferred from Oregon to UNLV because he wasn’t happy with his minutes and being forced to play the 5 position;
    – His father, who was quoted in everything I read, is a prominent AAU coach on the West Coast;
    – He tore his ACL at the end of January, and will begin light jogging in May

I know we need big guys, and I know we have lots of scholarships, but this one makes me nervous.

You can smell the desperation a mile away.

Rick
    Keymaster

The more I think and ponder about demoting Lutz, the more I am now beginning to question our overall direction. I gave the AD a mulligan for the obtuse and contorted path that let to Coach Gottfried. That worked out well for a while. BUT, now we begin to see unraveling of the program.

It has been a rudderless ship from the outset. The captain is a mess and the crew is abandoning ship. It is just a matter of time before we hit the iceberg. The only question is do we get in front of it. It appears we are not.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I agree, desperation. But hey, tis better to burn out than fade away.

– Def Leppard (ppl forget that)

modobrew
    Participant

what’s the word CD? I know you have some insider views on the situation in MBB. I’m interested to see if we really are desperate and reaching or if it just appears this way to us outsiders.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I now seriously question, as a lot of other WPC members, whether we have a logical and cohesive plan to be a “Consistent Top 25? program.

No questions here. No plan whatsoever.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

It has been a rudderless ship from the outset. The captain is a mess and the crew is abandoning ship. It is just a matter of time before we hit the iceberg. The only question is do we get in front of it. It appears we are not.

I literally just spent $60 to drive from New Bern to AB to the caravan. Probably really stupid to spend my money on that but they said Gott is going to be there so on some weird level on want to hear his rationale about the program and where we are headed. Probably a waste of money as he will do the proverbial coach speak but maybe he opens up a bit.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Rudderless ship? Impending iceberg collision? Count me in! 😉

On a more serious note, I am curious as to how assistant coach hires are made. What level of involvement does the AD and their staff have in the process?

TheCOWDOG

what’s the word CD? I know you have some insider views on the situation in MBB. I’m interested to see if we really are desperate and reaching or if it just appears this way to us outsiders.

To play on Beej’s take: There’s more to the picture, than meets the eye..”
    -Neill Young, dontcha know.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would like for us to sign some petty criminals if for no other reason than for Luke DeCock to wag his finger about it so I can unload an angry screed at that POS.

modobrew
    Participant

To play on Beej’s take: There’s more to the picture, than meets the eye..”
    -Neill Young, dontcha know.

damnit CD. ha! you have a way with words that keeps me searching for answers! Guess I’ll have to keep reading to see if I can find out what’s going on. Cliff’s Notes would be much easier.

Adventuroo
    Participant

WOW…..Usually I get flamed….but there are a LOT of folks that can still post.

To CD’s concise and informative response….

All I can conjure up is something along the lines…..Coach G has been told that he has ONE more year to right the ship….and rudderless is probably kind….we are Rocking and Rolling and about to capsize…

SO, if he is in his One More SHOT mode, maybe AD Yow hedged her bets….and put Lutz out to pasture….maybe a little stud work….and if Coach G does NOT figure out how, the we will have Coach G as the HC. YES, I admit that even in my world, that is a little complex, contorted and unlikely….but stranger things have happened.

Maybe the jungle telegraph will be active on Thursday night and some side conversations will reveal the TRUE story…..if not, then we wait until BB begins as that usually brings out the folks in the know and they are a bit freer with the “Rest of the Story”.

Coach Lutz has said he will put all his energy and enthusiasm in his new role, but will miss coaching. A very honorable and professional response….

Rick
    Keymaster

The idea of Lutz as the HC is not comforting either.
    What it appears to be is a mess but hopefully things are actually taking place that will improve things. Nonetheless we have to get some more bodies in here, hopefully ones that can contribute as we are paper thin.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Here’s another guy that we are looking at (along with WFU):

Manning reportedly also is eyeing Ronnie Johnson. The Houston player, who comes by way of two seasons at Purdue, has earned his degree and will be eligible to compete immediately. He put up 9.4 points and 2.9 assists for Kelvin Sampson last season but also is being pursued by ACC rival NC State.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/114791/looking-ahead-wake-forests-future-is-in-its-sophomore-class

ryebread
    Participant

Roo: Welcome to the club. There’s always room for another.

There’s no way Lutz ends up as head coach here. It’s the same reason why the theory by some that Dooley was coming as a “head coach in waiting” made no sense either. If Gott’s gone, Yow’s likely gone. If Yow’s gone, and things stay on the current trajectory, then Gott’s likely gone. It seems we have both at least a couple of more seasons. The only way Gott’s gone faster is if he completely implodes (Alabama style). If that were to happen, I think the PTB would step in and we’d chart a new path.

Like you, I felt that Lutz was the “real coach” on the staff. I was pretty impressed with his work at Charlotte relative to resources, budget, program stature and lack of a real platform (ConfUSA school in the heart of ACC and Tobacco Road). I’d have been happy with us hiring him 5 years ago — happier than I was about hiring Gott.

I figured Lutz was gone this year, but I didn’t see it going down like this. I suspect the current position is more about his contract and keeping him on to continue to work. It’s also easier to find a job when you have a job (but maybe high profile coaching is different in that regard).

I do hope some new assistants fix what ails us. Maybe they’re paired with other changes that will become obvious later (like when HWSNBN brought in Larry Hunter). One thing that I think I see is what appears to be a switch in recruiting philosophies, which I think is a wise move. The path we currently seem to be charting (aggressively going after 4 stars who might stay a while and offering enough scholarships to actually fill a roster) is the one that I think is right for NC State. Mix in an occasional 5 star, and there’s enough talent (as long as you retain them) to go very far. While HWSNBN’s recruiting was flawed in that he didn’t recruit a whole team, he did have the right idea about the types of kids to go after.

92owen: Learn anything at the Caravan?

Classof89
    Participant

Manning reportedly also is eyeing Ronnie Johnson. The Houston player, who comes by way of two seasons at Purdue, has earned his degree and will be eligible to compete immediately. He put up 9.4 points and 2.9 assists for Kelvin Sampson last season but also is being pursued by ACC rival NC State.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/114791/looking-ahead-wake-forests-future-is-in-its-sophomore-class

Is it just me, or are we the basketball recruiting equivalent of the homeless dude rooting through the dumpsters behind restaurant row, hoping to find something really good in the trash?

Texpack
    Participant

Is it just me, or are we the basketball recruiting equivalent of the homeless dude rooting through the dumpsters behind restaurant row, hoping to find something really good in the trash?

Ronnie Johnson is better than anybody we had this past season to back up at PG. I watched a fair amount of UH BB and this kid was stuck behind the leading scorer in the AAC and another really solid PG, but he was a good enough combo guard to get some minutes

redisgood
    Participant

Beejay has declared for the draft. Presumably he hasn’t hired an agent.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Just saw this note on ESPN:

redisgood
    Participant

Just saw this note on ESPN:

<iframe id=”twitter-widget-0″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ allowtransparency=”true” allowfullscreen=”true” class=”twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered” data-tweet-id=”725115445565476864″ title=”Twitter Tweet” style=”position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 500px; height: 202.765625px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;”></iframe>
    <script async=”” src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

I think 60 get invited to the combine. Sure are going to be a lot of disappointed players out there. Hopefully Beejay and Abu get much needed reality checks and return.

Rick
    Keymaster

BJD called this a while ago. I sure hope they both come back. This is like a nightmare.

tractor57
    Participant

Until grants in aid are good for multiple years I do not object to the “heat check”. Doubtful Anya will get and invite but he may. I see issues all around.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.