Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Is there solace in the fact that UVA plays very boring basketball?

I think that falls under the “beggars can’t be choosers” category. 🙂

FergusWolf
    Participant

Is there solace in the fact that UVA plays very boring basketball?

I think that success overwhelms boring

eas
    Participant

Boring is only relevant when you aren’t winning. I didn’t see many boring UVA games the past 2 years…..a

APackFan4life
    Participant

Problem Got has is almost Zero player development, especially in the low post position. They come in with potential and leave about the same as when they arrived. Some of the guys with real talent naturally improve with more playing time but even those few exceptions are guards.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Problem Got has is almost Zero player development, especially in the low post position. They come in with potential and leave about the same as when they arrived. Some of the guys with real talent naturally improve with more playing time but even those few exceptions are guards.

Abu is better. Washington improved. Vandy got vastly better. Howell got better.

I’d post stats to prove it, but I’m too lazy.

Rick
    Keymaster

Abu is better. Washington improved. Vandy got vastly better. Howell got better.

I’d post stats to prove it, but I’m too lazy.

I thinks its hard to predict either way. It does seem teams with lower rated recruits seen to do better than us. Heck even the two incoming transfers were not particularly highly rated recruits but seem to have been developed well.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

You are who your record says you are.
    Bill Parcells

Too many transfers?
    Too little development?
    Poor recruiting decisions?
    Poor defense?

Trying to prioritize or arrange the reasons for State’s record are all akin to playing with deck chairs on the Titanic. Head coaches get paid obscene amounts of money to figure out the details. If Gott doesn’t get it done, then we’ll move on to another one (eventually).

pakfanistan
    Participant

Too many transfers?
    Too little development?
    Poor recruiting decisions?
    Poor defense?

In order, meh, no, maybe, yes.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Is that the same fallacy in which all the players leaving were the problems and all the ones coming in are the solution?

Of course solution equals thirteenth place.

I recognize that one. It’s called a straw man.

Khan
    Participant

Is that the same fallacy in which all the players leaving were the problems and all the ones coming in are the solution?

Of course solution equals thirteenth place.

Lol

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Painter…moved on due to a family illness..I believe his grandma was ill and he wanted to be closer to home.
    Harrow..never played for gott.
    Throw those two out of the mix…
    Harris…yeah, a bench player at best..
    Purvis…probably the best of those that defected, yet still somewhat over rated
    Lewis …the third of our 3 McDonalds All Americans…..right..we got two Big Macs and a Kid’s Meal without a toy, and daddy thought Tyler was much better than he was. He couldn’t defend a three-legged dog, let alone a Cat.
    Raymond and De Thaey? Neither have achieved any notoriety since defecting. Gott’s program survived just fine without both of them. Neither of them had the potential to move us from the Sweet sixteen to the Elite Eight.
    Kyle…It remains to be seen…I did not want to see him go but he left for what was IMO selfish reasons. He did not appreciate his role in a team game.. It is upon him to prove Gott wrong for cutting down his minutes. Time will tell. Too many kids get too much smoke blown up their bunghole and believe that they are all that and a long white rag top Cadillac. Reality is a bitch that cares little for requited love….

Thinkpack17
    Participant

-Harris- Do you remember his dad? Thinking that he was an NBA player like big brother? Saying that he “shut down” Thomas Robinson in the Sweet Sixteen game? Did he ever live up to daddy’s expectations? Is he going to the league?

MrPlywood
    Participant

This is an interesting list of “high-profile” transfers. It would be interesting if one joined the Pack. Note that Caleb is listed, Cody is mentioned as part of the deal. The list is a mix of guys from all levels of programs, and it seems that most of them got plenty of playing time. Who knows what lurks in the hearts of 19 year old guys?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14390188/college-basketball-transfer-list

tractor57
    Participant

MrP of note to me is the great increase in transfers over time.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It’s like free agency.

redisgood
    Participant

There are two on that list so far who have upcoming visits. Savon Goodman, the Arizona State forward who lit us up last season and can play immediately is coming at the end of April. And Jimmy Whitt, a freshman point guard from Arkansas who will have to sit out a year is also coming in the next few weeks.

Rick
    Keymaster

There are definitely more transfer now. The difference between the better teams in the conference and the lower tier seem to be how many transfers they have.
    Chicken or egg though.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t know if that is completely true.

For example, Duke “loses” Thornton. They bring in someone better (five-star Frank Jackson, who stands 6-4).

Some programs just have the mojo.

Rick
    Keymaster

I took this from the other site so the formatting sucks but it essentially shows how many MPG and PPG leave. Only real exceptions are UVA and UM.

Team Player MPG PPG APG RPG Schools Transferred To
    UNC 0 players 0 0 0 0
    ND 2 players 23 7.5 1.3 2.3 BC, N Texas
    Cuse 2 players 28.5 6.8 2.2 4.1 Lasalle, IUPUI
    DUKE 4 players 36.1 12.9 2.1 4.7 Cuse, UF, SMU, UMD
    Ville 6 players 47 10.1 1.4 6.6 Nebraska, G’town, NW, GaState, USC, Winthrop
    Pitt 4 players 47.8 11.9 4.7 5.4 Charlotte, IU, TCU, Juco
    FSU 4 players 50.2 15.1 2.3 8.3 TAMU, VCU, ECU, UALR
    Clemson 6 players 63.1 18.1 5.2 8.9 Temple, Charlotte, Murray St, Hofstra, FAU, Juco
    UVA 6 players 69.4 15 4.4 7.1 Auburn, SDState, Belmont, UNI, Tarleton St, ODU
    UM 5 players 90.9 30.7 4.1 10.8 Baylor, Ole Miss, Juco, Marshall, Rutgers
    GT 6 players 99.4 31.2 4.2 17.8 Umd, FAU, GM, Tenn St, Ark St, FGCU
    WF 9 players 143.8 43.2 7.9 22.7 Nova, Prov, Bradley, BYU, GW, Towson, Iona, Drexel, UALR
    NC STATE 8 players 149 45.8 10 22.8 Cincy, Uconn, Butler, MTSU, Prov, ODU, TBD
    BC 7 players 158 49.2 8.5 20.7 WV, Arixona, St Marys, Davidson, Nicholls St, Brandeis, Boise
    VaT 7 players 165.3 57.3 7.6 28.6 UF, GaT, NW, OSU, Richmond, SMU, UAB

Last

MrPlywood
    Participant

^ How many years does that info cover?

Rick
    Keymaster

I think it is Gott’s tenure

Tau837
    Participant

^You can tell from the schools that it covers Washington (Cincy), Purvis (UConn), Lewis (Butler), Raymond (MTSU), Harris (Providence), Painter (ODU), and the Martins (TBD). But it does not cover Harrow (Kentucky). So it covers 5 years.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Haha – well that makes sense 😛

redisgood
    Participant

Ben Carter who is a PF from UNLV is transferring from the program and can play immediately. NC State is one of his scheduled visits. From the little I’ve read about the guy, here is what I found:

– Initially played for Oregon. Was suspended 9 games for selling team gear;
    – Transferred from Oregon to UNLV because he wasn’t happy with his minutes and being forced to play the 5 position;
    – His father, who was quoted in everything I read, is a prominent AAU coach on the West Coast;
    – He tore his ACL at the end of January, and will begin light jogging in May

I know we need big guys, and I know we have lots of scholarships, but this one makes me nervous.

Texpack
    Participant

Ben Carter who is a PF from UNLV is transferring from the program and can play immediately. NC State is one of his scheduled visits. From the little I’ve read about the guy, here is what I found:

– Initially played for Oregon. Was suspended 9 games for selling team gear;
    – Transferred from Oregon to UNLV because he wasn’t happy with his minutes and being forced to play the 5 position;
    – His father, who was quoted in everything I read, is a prominent AAU coach on the West Coast;
    – He tore his ACL at the end of January, and will begin light jogging in May

I know we need big guys, and I know we have lots of scholarships, but this one makes me nervous.

With the CHeats on probation and looking for dirt, what could possibly go wrong?

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.