Men's Basketball and more…Tonight

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Men's Basketball and more…Tonight

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Keymaster

FYI, the good Secy wore Wolfpack Red last night. The color match was spot on. That’s a good campaign manager right there.

More important than any election, Torin Dorn needs a nickname before the regular season tips off, or his feels will surely be hurt. Is “Major League” too obvious? What else do people have in mind?

I have been contemplating it. Do we do it based on his play, ie Buckets or do it based on name ie Frenchie? Deciding before the season makes can make it forced as opposed to being organic.
    I was kicking about some name based ones because nothing about his actual game stands out. Dorn Free. Dorn to be Wild. Natural Dorn Killer (too close to GFK but could morph into something like Natty or the Natural). I had one off the wall one, Tron.
    Maybe we use this thread to throw out ideas and see what sticks.

choppack1
    Participant

Overall good game from what I saw.

Areas of opportunities for individuals:
    DSJ – watch the to’s and fouls, work on foul shooting
    Yurt – work on screens and keeping ball up high.
    Abu – concerned about touch
    Abu and Anya – look for the ball
    Mav and Henderson – feet set, square up.

Great Improvement from game 1:
    Henderson
    Dorn
    MJ – 6 assists, zero turnovers!!

Areas of concern for team in general:
    – perimeter shooting – it will be tough for us to play small ball if we can’t shoot from the outside.
    – Defensive rebounding and to’s – this team absolutely thrives in transition, it will be critical for the team to continue to force turnovers and rebound well to effectively get out on the break.

Overall – like the intensity and seeing pressure D. Love seeing lots of guys getting pt. Love the sharing of the basketball. Looking forward to real competition.

choppack1
    Participant

Finally – major props to Kirk who is biggest surprise thus far. Great fit for this team. I hope he keeps minutes and keeps up high level of energy..he remimds me of the Sidney Lowe recruit who transferred and ended up @ San Diego last year (Ricky Davis?)

pakfanistan
    Participant

Josh Davis

PackofMac
    Participant

Big kid from Turkey fouled out in about 20 minutes of playing time with 4 points, zero blocks and a couple of rebounds. Very few if any blocks when a Barton kid made it in the lane. Very talented fun to watch offensive team, the tell tell will be as it always is, on the defensive side of the court. With the limited size we have I hope we score 90+ every game.

ryebread
    Participant

I’ve seen the team three times (on video). This is the best we’ve looked in a long, long, long time. Quick thoughts:
    – Love the defense and intensity. Those are the biggest improvements schematically over last year.
    – We have depth and we should use it. Rotate a lot of guys in, keep the pressure up and keep pushing the ball on offense. If we walk the ball up the court and play 60 point games, I will figure out how to freeze time and go kick Gott in the rear.
    – Yurt needs to figure out the US whistle. When he does, he’ll be fine.
    – Dorn impresses.
    – DSJ is a pro right now. He’s the best talent to come through in a long time.
    – We have size at every position. We have depth. We can pass. It’s clear we can play defense if we keep this as a focus. My only question is whether we can shoot.

pakfanistan
    Participant

BJD95
    Keymaster

Rick makes a good point about watching him play to make sure the nickname is natural and right. As long as he knows we WAIT because we CARE.

Dude is maybe our 2nd most important player, sounds like. MG said DSJ was the best guard in the country, and I like that he has the confidence to say something like that. We need to project strength and face the ACC with our heads high. That’s at least half the battle. We have the talent to back it up.

Sounds like what Corch told me about Yurt being a little more of a project than some people were expecting on the Internet is accurate (not that I thought he was BS-ing me). So be patient. We have depth, and peaking in March is what you want to do anyway.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

^^ Everyone should subscribe to cylonwolf’s youtube channel. He has a lot of football and basketball games that are worth re-watching (well not as many as I would like, but he/she only has so much to work with).

Rick
    Keymaster

The Dorn Ultimatum.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

U Dorn Fugged Up

pakfanistan
    Participant

The Red Viper, Prince of Dorn.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

maybe a bit early but… what about….

DDT

DornDoesiT

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

I liked the ball movement. They seem to show an unselfishness, but at the same time, a willingness to make individual plays when the opportunity is there. Yurt7 didn’t have an impressive game. Certainly talented and showed more of his skill in the first game. Hopefully he was just having an off night. Fouling out with 4 points against Barton ain’t gonna cut it long term.
    Does Abu seem more trimmed down to anyone else? Something looks different about him and he seems to do be able to do more with the ball on the floor.
    I just can’t get over the sheer number of players this year. I don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t even keep up with everyone. They call out a name and I say, “Oh yeah, I forgot about him.”
    I know the competition was not nearly what it will be during the season, but they were killing it in the transition game. They can afford to push the pace and intensity with the long bench.
    If they have the successful year that we all hope they will and believe is possible, I don’t know what I’ll do. My reality will be altered. I might even be able to accept the fact that Donald Trump just became president of the United States. Who knew.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

By the way, The Dorn Ultimatum made me chuckle.

The name Torin Dorn almost doesn’t need a nickname. You just have to always say both names together. It’s like a name from a Greek epic or Tolkein novel – like Thorin Oakenshield’s grandson or something.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Rip Torn came to mind. God bless his soul.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.