Memorial Day

Home Forums All StateFansNation Memorial Day

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Excerpt from General Orders No.11, Washington, D.C., May 5, 1868:
    The 30th day of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country
    [See the full post at: Memorial Day]

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    WolftownVA81
    Participant

Thanks for the tribute. I salute all veterans but today is definitely reserved for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. To that idiot radio announcer who stupidly commented “I’m over all this military appreciation” during ACC Championship game 13 on Saturday, I would ask – and what have you done for your country? Some people just don’t know when to keep there random thoughts to themselves.

PapaJohn
    Participant

The picture says it as well as the words, there are thousands of men and women risking, and sometimes giving, their lives in support of our country daily so that we can sit around and talk Wolfpack sports.
    Today we honor those that died, but should also think of those that live on with life altering injuries – both physical and mental – and their families who support them. I’m sure you don’t feel much like a hero when confined to a wheelchair or wearing a prosthetic.
    I served and somehow ended up unscathed. I was just randomly assigned to duty stations that did not include combat areas. Just luck. I sometimes wonder if I would have had “the right stuff.” I think we all wonder, if put in harm’s way, would we have acquitted ourselves like Mr. Sabo.

I read stories like this with a lump in my throat and with awe for the courage these young men showed under unimaginable circumstances.

Thank you to the families whose sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, and wives and husbands paid the price for our great country.

highstick
    Participant

Thanks for the tribute. I salute all veterans but today is definitely reserved for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. To that idiot radio announcer who stupidly commented “I’m over all this military appreciation” during ACC Championship game 13 on Saturday, I would ask – and what have you done for your country? Some people just don’t know when to keep there random thoughts to themselves.

As a vet, I’m glad you pointed that out. I also wish we’d remember and DO something about all of our vets on the other days of the year that don’t have Memorial Day, July 4, and Veterans Day attached to it. Lots of big talk from politicians and little is ever done! The veterans and families of veterans that need assistance deserve better. I spent 4 years in the Army and was fortunate to came back in one piece and with a relatively sound mind, so I can’t complain about me, but there are a lot of scarred vets and families who need better medical treatment.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

YogiNC
    Participant

My father was a Korean war POW. It affected him adversely all his life, there were demons he never overcame. His brother was killed in Vietnam. How I chose to serve in the Navy I’m not quite sure. I did do my time on submarines though so that could have been a protective mechanism. At any rate today hits close to home in many ways, both my family and two close friends who served in Vietnam, one didn’t come home. When that Yahoo made that comment I felt like throwing a rock at the TV hoping I could hit him. I’m definitely lighting up RSN with a phone call tomorrow. During this holiday weekend above all was THE WRONG TIME TO SAY THAT. He is an idiot of the 10th degree.
    HEY dumba$$ what it we are tired of hearing your stupid comments?

Smarter than the average bear

tractor57
    Participant

All gave some and some gave all. Seems we as a country have strayed a bit here – this day should be about those who gave all.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Thanks for posting – great article. Those of you who didn’t take Va’s advice and skipped the linked article in the first paragraphs….reconsider your decision.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I read them all yesterday and did a great deal of reflection. Then on the spur of the moment, went to the little Vietnam War Foundation and Museum next door in Green County. It was started by two Vets and staffed with volunteers. It is very well done and worth the trip if you are in the area. Vietnam War Foundation

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

My father served in WWII, so Memorial Day has always been an important holiday on my calendar. Can’t imagine doing what he and his mates did at 18-21 years of age. Fearless, tough-as-nails group. The Greatest Generation ???? Ain’t even a question.

My oldest son signed an eight year contract with Uncle Sam last year after graduating from college. Can’t be too much more specific, as those ISIS assholes have now made it dangerous to be openly proud about armed service… He loves it thus far, and he and his Selection buds are chomping at the bit to take care of the situation overseas. That is, if the government will keep their hands off and let them do it.

I’m not quite as anxious as he is for him to see live combat, as one might imagine.

Damned proud of him and his commitment to God and Country, however, and Memorial Day means just that much more…

God bless everyone who has served and is serving, and God bless the families and friends who support them !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.