Matt Canada hired by Pitt

Home Forums StateFans Football Matt Canada hired by Pitt

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

So…Matt Canada won’t be going far. Staying in the conference.

Link

Canada was hired on Friday to become the new offensive coordinator at Pittsburgh, where he will be reunited with head coach Pat Narduzzi — both of whom once served together on the same staff at Northern Illinois.

“Pat is building something special at Pitt,” Canada, who interviewed for the head coaching position at East Carolina last month, said in a statement. “I’m ready to hit the ground running and begin contributing to the effort.”

Canada was relieved of his duties in a surprise move by N.C. State last Sunday after three seasons with the Wolfpack.

His offense ranked third in the ACC in scoring this season at 33.2 points per game under the direction of senior quarterback Jacoby Brissett and its 5,311 total yards were the fourth most in school history, despite losing its top two running backs to injury and dismissal.

Those numbers, however, were inflated by easy wins against a soft nonconference schedule. State also sputtered in key situations, especially in season-defining losses to Louisville and Virginia Tech while Canada drew criticism for under-utilizing his most most potent weapons — particularly hybrid Jaylen Samuels and tight end David J. Grinnage.

At the same time, though, he became something of a scapegoat for a disappointing season in which the Wolfpack went 0-6 against opponents that played in bowls and 7-6 overall.

Canada, who has also spent time at Wisconsin, Indiana and Butler, joins a Pitt program that won eight games this season and produced a 1,000-yard rusher despite the loss of ACC Player of the Year James Conner in the first half of its opening game.

He replaces Jim Chaney, who left the Panthers to become offensive coordinator at Georgia.

“Matt is an innovative offensive mind, excellent teacher of quarterback play and strong recruiter and evaluator,” Narduzzi said in announcing Canada’s hiring. “He is a great leader who will provide our team and staff with a real spark. Most importantly, Matt is a tremendously loyal person who will be a great fit for Pitt.”

Wulfpack
    Participant

Also:

Terms of Canada’s contract were not disclosed, but he was earning a base salary of $560,000 at North Carolina State on a contract that had two years left. By terms of that contract, if he makes less than that at Pitt, the Wolfpack will have to make up the difference for those two years.

Canada didn’t mince words about what made this job appealing to him, either. He talked about Pitt’s football tradition and the players the Panthers have returning next year, but the deciding factor was the head coach.

“The main attraction for me is Pat Narduzzi, period,” Canada said. “That is the attraction.”

DC_wolf
    Participant

“offense ranked third in the ACC in scoring this season at 33.2 points per game … and its 5,311 total yards were the fourth most in school history”.

STILL surprised by this.. My feelings are if the defense had done their jobs, the offensive #s would have stood up. But what’s done is done.

tractor57
    Participant

In the end it is coach D’s show. If he has a an assistant that does not meet his mettle changes should be made. I’m glad Canada found work quickly and I wish him well except when Pitt plays the Pack.

DC_wolf
    Participant

On an un-related but related topic.. “It’s good to be da Commish!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/good-to-be-commish-salaries-for-power-five-conference-bosses-soar/2016/01/08/8b5dfe1c-b569-11e5-a76a-0b5145e8679a_story.html

“ACC Commissioner John Swofford’s [pay] went from $571,000 to more than $2 million (in a ten year span)..” All that extra money came in handy in sweeping all that DIRT under the CHeats’ rug

TheCOWDOG

Wait a minute. “…became something of a scapegoat.”

Really? As evidenced by what? Ironic, it seems, the SFN site frequently criticizes mainstream media for lazy, and or red, journalism.

If one wants to really attempt reading between some lines, starting with Canada’s parting shots might be more in tune.

Wulfpack
    Participant

^Makes sense to me.

Heelh8r
    Participant

My first thoughts when Canada got canned was that it had to do with loyalty. He had been interviewing for jobs and obviously was trying to get out. Loyalty works both ways. Maybe Coach D was ‘suggesting’ he’d better be looking for something else, who knows. But Canada’s parting comments do confirm that he is glad to be gone, and that all has not been well behind the scenes. Raises more questions about what is really going on with the staff.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Good riddance! Does Pitt need a DC, they can have Huxtable.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Good riddance! Does Pitt need a DC, they can have Huxtable.

Can’t tell if joking or….

redisgood
    Participant

Eliah Drinkwitz from Boise is the new OC. At first blush it looks like a great hire!

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Slam dunk hire IMO. After reading about his offense and seeing the season they had this year with a true frosh. I am sold.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.