Martin Twins to Transfer

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Martin Twins to Transfer

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Fun times AGAIN on the SFN forums!

And people were complaining that it was boring lately 🙂

For anyone with a line to Yow (I know some email her) I’d be interested to hear her take, at least the public version.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

I was one of those too young to understand what HSSS meant until I asked on here. I was in HS when Julius led us to the Sweet 16. But I will say, there seems to be a lot of bashing of so-called “pessimists” and “Gott-haters” on here. Yet here we are, on March 24, 2016, in the year of our Lord, and we are experiencing the mass exodus that has become all too familiar under the current regime. Don’t get me wrong; I was thrilled to have gone to the Sweet 16 in Gott’s first year. Even more thrilled to have made it last year. What idiot would not have been? But it’s hard to ignore the reality of what you see unfolding. “Surprise” defections. UGLY seasons. How can the one follow the other? A trip to the Sweet 16 should raise your program’s attractiveness, not result in two transfers the following off-season and two (for now) the next. You can’t tell me a DSJ isn’t thinking to himself, “why did I sign with them again?”

We are our record. We are who we are. The next move is to figure out who we’re gonna be.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

“*THIS” is stupid on seven different levels…

Regardless of how it all lands…
    I’m not thinking good thoughts…

*THIS === all of this week’s headlines…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    StateRed44
    Participant

If there are 2 NBA ballers on this squad I’ll eat my hat. Abu is nowhere close to NBA material. Not shot, no handle, short, no chance.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

If there are 2 NBA ballers on this squad I’ll eat my hat. Abu is nowhere close to NBA material. Not shot, no handle, short, no chance.

Which is telling when a player jumps ship as soon as he can in this program.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Sure, but you’re thinking rationally. When’s the last time a Gott-coached NC State player thought rationally? Don’t worry; I’ll wait.

choppack1
    Participant

Yea bill – if Abu doesn’t come back – and you have to think there’s at least a decent chance he won’t – then yea.

This year suddenly looks worse than last year – thing is, this is exactly what happened to him at Bama -/combined with some off court shenanigans.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

We had nine players this last season …
    one was on IR… that’s eight…

now we could lose four… ALL leaving early… NONE of whom who would NOT benefit from more time in Raleigh AND in College…

at least three of those appear definite…

nobody that graduated from NCState flunked Math….

8 – 4 === NOT good, or worst, I don’t care who’s coming in….

that said…

one could make all the excuses, all the rationalization, anybody will listen to BUT…
    at the end of the day…

Coach has GOTT to take the HEAT on *THIS.
    ——————–

I had a frat brother who went into College Basketball Coaching ( ’78-’83 ) at a D2 school working for a future ACC Coach…

He was the Road Guy… the Recruiter… you never saw him on the Bench on TV…

He hated it… said he was …
    “Selling Soap to Kids to who didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t take a Bath.”

If any if you guys have any professional Sales/Sales Management experience…
    ya’ll know soft/sloppy selling/sneaking too many thru the side door without prior approval to get your numbers will get you into “Intensive Care” or fired faster than anything other than stealing…
    —————

Damn… for what we’re paying… we deserve better than *THIS.

SMH … BIG TIME.

choppack1
    Participant

Regarding recruiting – sometimes no names fall into your lap – like a del negro or a gugliotta. Like a lightly recruited kid who is your son’s best friend. The guy with the natty didn’t wait around until it was too late when he had scholies to burn, the other is watching his son’s best friend play starting 2 guard for a 1 seed.

But Yow likes Gott’s swagger..the man would have been money at the 5th season back in the day or that club in the big hotel on falls of the nurse/old wake forest road across the street from the north Raleigh hospital.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

…. anybody want to bet the ranch on BJ ??

If we cleaning house…for bigger and better things… then why doesn’t it make sense to leave one behind ??

Rick
    Keymaster

Bill,
    That’s a great comparison. I don’t do sales but I am in sourcing. There are few things worse than a lying sales person. I am old enough to pick up on it but it takes these kids about two years to figure it out. I have said all along character matters.

BTW there have been rumors about kh for at least a year.

choppack1
    Participant

I don’t think k it’s fair to accuse Gott of lying to recruits. We don’t know of that’s the case. E en those who left the program in a huff haven’t said Gott lied to them regarding their role.

Again, it shouldn’t matter the “why” this is happening. What matters is that it is and he is accountable no matter what happens when we get to this season – injuries, bad luck or bad calls. His defiencies in personnel management have left us extremely susceptible for the expected breaks that wreck even teams that have maximimized personnel issues.

redisgood
    Participant

Fifty to sixty players get invited to attend the NBA combine each year, and there’s a good chance Abu won’t even be on the list. Hopefully that will tell him all he needs to know. Unfortunately there are hundreds of low life agents who can convince a naive kid that he has the talent to work himself into the 1st round by draft day.

tractor57
    Participant

I have no issue with Abu learning if he has any chance at being drafted – as long as he does not sign with an agent before learning that important information. Like Cal said with his UK kids all that are invited should have a look. Signing with an agent means the die has been cast and for leaving early. Personally I think that was the right decision for Cat although I wish he had not burned that bridge at this time. With Abu I’m not so sure it is the right move however I do not know any details, including any internal issues with the coach or the program.

I have said all along in Gott’s tenure 5 years to show me substantial progress. I have seen some early (a low bar for sure) so not it is do or die time. Not calling for a coaching change now but another year without substantial improvement means a coaching change.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Whoa… ain’t nobody calling anybody a “liar”….

Let’s just say 1% of HS roundballers play D1 ball and 1% of College roundballers play in the NBA and another 2% play pro ball overseas…

It goes something like this…

HS Kid says “Coach … I want to play Pro Ball….”

Recruiters know the kid can play in College, but he ain’t Pro Material….

Do the Recruiters say ??

Son, you come play with me… IF we both work our butts off for the next couple of years… you can play Pro ball somewhere.

OR

Son, the chances of you playing Pro Ball anywhere are about 3 out of 100, but IF you come play me, you will be playing with the best and against the best, you get a degree, you’ll have a great experience that will last you a lifetime.

———————–

Either way… things work out for the better, then people say…
    That’s a great kid and Coach did want he was paid to do ….

and either way, if the kid OR his advisors become dissatisfied…
    It’s NEVER the kid’s fault, it’s ALWAYS the Coaches fault…

————————-

The fundamentals are work here are …. hard work, accepting responsibility and finding peace with the reality of the outcome.

in an age where everything is always somebody’s else fault….

————————-

Nobody knows, nor should they know, the exact nature of ALL the one on one conversations between recruiters/coaches and players over their entire college career.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Only one twin was going to get much playing time next year. They are a package deal. Unique circumstance so I dont blame Gott. They will transfer to a lesser program where both will get playing time. Good luck too them both. Abu will be back. He is getting his name out there and with the new rules he can do some camps and get noticed for the future.

tractor57
    Participant

^ I agree here to a point. What I have concerns with is progress for the program as a whole. I’m not ready to say fire Gott but from the beginning I said 5 years. That time is drawing near.

choppack1
    Participant

Bill – accountability works both ways though. Just as kids are accountable for their actions a coach is responsible for his.

When a coach doesn’t recruit sufficient depth – he is accountable. AMD gott because of his past and his inability in 5 years go get better than an 8 seed – regardless of early departures – absolutely should enter 2016-2017 squarely on the hot seat.

As others have indicated – we are preparing to enter a new age in the ACC – we will have a great opportunity for titles and program growth under the right guy.

UVa and Notre Dame can be confident. I am not.

redisgood
    Participant

They will transfer to a lesser program where both will get playing time.

I don’t know about that. Apparently Georgetown is a likely landing spot.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I couldn’t figure out to merge this thread with the other one so I decided to close it. Since Abu may leave as well, we can discuss the Martin twins in the other thread.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • The topic ‘Martin Twins to Transfer’ is closed to new replies.