Marquette Tabs Wojo as Head Coach

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Marquette Tabs Wojo as Head Coach

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Duke assistant coach Steve Wojciechowski has been hired for the head coach position at Marquette. ESPN first reported the news Tuesday morning.

Wojciechowski, 37, replaces Buzz Williams, who left for Virginia Tech after six years at Marquette. Wojciechowski, Who graduated from Duke in 1998, spent 15 years at Duke as an assistant coach.

So now Dawkins, Collins and Wojo have gotten good jobs. Add Brey to the mix, and you wonder which one will be the front runner when K retires. Dawkins was on the hot seat at Stanford but the good tourney run ought to save him, at least for now. Collins did a pretty good job at Northwestern in his first year this season. Wojo ought to be able to win at Marquette, though not being in a power conference will certainly hurt.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

you wonder which one will be the front runner when K retires.

None of the above?

MP
    Participant

None of the above?

I was thinking the same.

More like Nate McMillan…

Wulfpack
    Participant

You guys think they go outside the family? I was thinking the same but I also think K will try to name the next guy.

Rick
    Keymaster

Wojo slapped the floor with both hands and dove into the crowd of reporters when he found out.

MrPlywood
    Participant

That’s a pretty big jump for Wojo wouldn’t you say? Then again, I had no idea he had been asst. for 15 freakin’ years. Can that be right?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Wojo slapped the floor with both hands and dove into the crowd of reporters when he found out.

Holy crap, who the hell is gonna do interviews at halftime/postgame now?

And while I don’t follow the coaching trees and carousels as closely as some, I can’t imagine Dawkins or Collins. I think it’s too soon to tell re: Wojo…guy hasn’t even coached a game yet.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes that is correct, 15 years. He graduated from Duke in 1998 and started as an assistant.

I would say a huge jump. Collins I always thought was ready.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I would hope Duke has learned from their friends down the road it is not a good idea to limit yourself to candidates inside the “family” as well as how it turns out when the outgoing coach names his successor.
    I haven’t been overwhelmingly impressed with Amaker or Dawkins; their resumes don’t scream success. Both have sub-0.500 conference records at their power conference schools. Collins may be ready by the time K retires, but 6-12 in the B10 isn’t going to impress anyone even if it is your first year at Northwestern. I think that might be the job S. Smart is holding out for.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Mrs. Smart says “No” to Durham…

…and we might want to add Jay Bilas to the list of candidates…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

You guys think they go outside the family?

If the change had to be made tomorrow, then Duke would absolutely go outside the family. Plus, there is no way that a broadcaster with no head coaching experience is on the wish list.

tractor57
    Participant

When K was hired it was an ‘outside the family’ hire. The coach he replaced was an ‘outside the family’ hire. Seems to go back to you can’t be a prophet in your land. Ole Huck, Norn Sloan and Swety Gary seem to be exceptions.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Ha, wuf and I do think alike. My first thought was “who will speak K’s words to the commoners now??”

Every Iron Duke that I know (and I work with several) think it will be Brad Stevens. That’s about the right timeframe for him to get sick of the NBA.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

“…think it will be Brad Stevens. That’s about the right timeframe for him to get sick of the NBA.” – that’s the exact thought I had; I just didn’t have the guts to put it on paper.

redcanine
    Participant

Good for Wojo. There’s good talent on that team.

packalum44
    Participant

Brad Stevens was mocked by other “cool” coaches, including our own, for studying at a corner table while they drank at the hotel bar. I promise he doesn’t care. He’s a winner. Winner’s don’t care what losers think of them.

redisgood
    Participant

Brad Stevens was mocked by other “cool” coaches, including our own, for studying at a corner table while they drank at the hotel bar. I promise he doesn’t care. He’s a winner. Winner’s don’t care what losers think of them.

Wow. That’s an interesting story. Any kind of link so I can read the whole thing? I’m particularly interested in the part about Gottfried mocking Brad Stevens.

Texpack
    Participant

Herb Sendek has removed his name from consideration for the Duke job.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Never really saw Wojo as the head man type. I see Collins with the highest upside. If I were betting, my money would be on him for the best run of that group.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Bringing this back up because of this article (and because it’s dead as shit around here this weekend).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/writer/doug-gottlieb/24522621/around-the-country-looking-back-at-uconn-kentucky

The article, written by Doug Gottlieb, also has this interesting opening paragraph…

Will Mike Krzyzewski disciple Steve Wojciechowski succeed as the new coach at Marquette? It’s a reasonable question to ask. As coaching trees spread, we so often look for results of the mentored to affirm the greatness of the mentor, and so it is with Coach K. Is that fair? Not really. Billy Donovan doesn’t coach like Rick Pitino, nor does Herb Sendek, yet both are former Pitino aides who have had very different levels of success.

tractor57
    Participant

“Billy Donovan doesn’t coach like Rick Pitino, nor does Herb Sendek, yet both are former Pitino aides who have had very different levels of success.”

Ya mean the press noticed?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.