Mark Gottfried gets new contract on eve of new season

Home Forums All StateFansNation Mark Gottfried gets new contract on eve of new season

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Hard to argue with the merit of this as NC State’s Basketball program has stabilized at more than acceptable level since Coach “Got” to Raleigh. With
    [See the full post at: Mark Gottfried gets new contract on eve of new season]

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

yes…

everybody deserves a second chance…
    some guys just GOTT to make the most of it…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Packzingo
    Participant

Getting whitewashed by William while Mary watches! I should revise my ACC league finish (after the 1st regular season game :))… I think Pack is 3 of 20 shots..

Packzingo
    Participant

Congrats to Gott for the raise, I hope we continue in a positive direction! Looks like he may “earn” his money. It’s going to take a few games to develop rotations and confidence.

graywolf
    Participant

He’s not earning his new pay scale tonight….getting killed by Bill and Mary, which is embarrassing. Pathetic.

choppack1
    Participant

Wow. That sucked. This is an example of why we have been no higher than a 7 seed under gott. Unless we learn how to defend, we’ve seen the ceiling of gott. Hopefully, we won’t see similar lows to bama. However, we know that under gott we start slow and generally finish strong. It’s frustrating, bit we have seen this before with staff – and like a stunt pilot -/gott pulls out of it.

13OT
    Participant

State basketball got schooled by Mary & William.

If the football team plays defense tomorrow like the basketball team did tonight, it’s going to be one L O N G weekend for Wolfpack sports.

When does baseball practice begin?

Greywolf
    Participant

It wasn’t all bad. I though we handled William pretty good.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Dismal display of basketball tonight.

No defense, no balls on offense. Won’t attack the rim; rarely drive the lane, and never with conviction.

Got spanked by Herb’s offense, over and over and over again. Youth is no excuse, Coach – everybody’s seen the Pick ‘n Roll in rec ball growing up – these guys should know how to defend it by the time they reach college !!!

Got out-rebounded by Mary tonight. Inexcusable.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^Agree PW, a staple of Gottfried’s offense is the lack of penetration and dish, and not getting to the line. Plays in the half court, which requires better defense since we don’t generate turnovers or more shots…Go figure. I no longer get worked up about the Gott. It is what it is, and it’s much better than what we’ve had a long time.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Sadly though, Mary bent us over…sans lube.

It’s early, W&M is a decent club, yada yada yada.

Despite being true, it doesn’t make it go down any easier.

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

Since I don’t keep track of this stuff as closely as some, could someone here remind me of what his contract was prior (salary, incentives, most importantly, length remaining). I only ask because I’m trying to figure out why now for the extension. If it was coming up soon, I get it so that it’s not a story throughout the season, but if not, do we really feel like we may lose him at this point? The results have been pretty good, but it’s not like we’re hearing his name popping up as one that schools are looking at each off-season.

Don’t mean to imply any dissatisfaction with our team or otherwise. Just curious to the thought process. We’ve had pretty good talent and recruiting for a little while, and I guess I just get nervous with contracts that look like we can’t get out if we need to, if we’ve hit our ceiling with him in a year or two. Again, just curious more than anything.

choppack1
    Participant

Maverick – you probably won’t hear his names for a big job. He has a coached a lot of seasons of basketball. His best overall season @ bama was his 4th – where he went 12-4 and had a #2 seed in the NCAA tourney – in his 7th year – he again went 12-4 – and had a #5 seed. Neither of these teams advanced past the second round.

He has a track record and we shouldn’t be surprised when history repeats itself. His greatest strength is that his teams have shown resiliency throughout the marathon that is a college basketball season. He has shown an ability to build effective teams under different circumstances.

He has to have a great heart – because his teams seem to live on the bubble. As a fan – it stresses me out – but like others it beats the tenure of Sidney Lowe or Les Robinson – so in the words of Bobby Knight – try to sit back and enjoy it.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Since I don’t keep track of this stuff as closely as some, could someone here remind me of what his contract was prior (salary, incentives, most importantly, length remaining). I only ask because I’m trying to figure out why now for the extension. If it was coming up soon, I get it so that it’s not a story throughout the season, but if not, do we really feel like we may lose him at this point? The results have been pretty good, but it’s not like we’re hearing his name popping up as one that schools are looking at each off-season.

Don’t mean to imply any dissatisfaction with our team or otherwise. Just curious to the thought process. We’ve had pretty good talent and recruiting for a little while, and I guess I just get nervous with contracts that look like we can’t get out if we need to, if we’ve hit our ceiling with him in a year or two. Again, just curious more than anything.

Hey guys, this is where i am at as well. I dont know any of the circumstances of his prior deal and if this is the norm then I will stand down so to speak. I am in know way unhappy with Gott and his team(s) just wondering why now for a mega deal? I dont follow bball as closely anymore as the season is really long but I am pretty sure I havent heard his name floating out there or that he was unhappy in Raleigh. I like the sweet 16’s and everyone else should but was hoping to see some strong ACC finishes before he got a super deal that puts him here in Raleigh for a long long time. I think this deal does that. Yow seems to be really liberal in giving out extensions so I guess I dont understand. Deals like this to me, seem to make it harder to make a move if the bottom did fall out. (Not saying I think it is going to happen but anything is possible and we should guard ourselves against it)

Again I am not saying he should be fired or anything remotely close to that just that I dont quite understand the timing here. If this is the norm then I get it, if not then I dont.

thanks

Mike 96

rthomas44
    Participant

State is flush with money now so Debbie is pouring it around. Should have waited until the end of the season! When was the last time State lost the first bball game of the season?

Greywolf
    Participant

but like others it beats the tenure of Sidney Lowe or Les Robinson

and doesn’t approach the tenure of Everett Case, Norm Sloan or Jimmy V.

Comparing Gott to Lowe and Robinson? I’d say we set the bar pretty low.

And for those of you who wanted to dismiss football season and get on with basketball, how’s that working for you?

Wolfanatic
    Participant

rthomas44 wrote: When was the last time State lost the first bball game of the season?

I believe that the correct answer is 1993.

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

Thanks guys for the response. Wasn’t trying to stir up anything. Just didn’t know if anyone here knew what the last contract was prior to this one.

Rick
    Keymaster

Sadly though, Mary bent us over…sans lube.

It’s early, W&M is a decent club, yada yada yada.

Despite being true, it doesn’t make it go down any easier.

They played like William and we played like Mary.

I don’t understand the raise and extension either. Another school is not coming after him so it makes zero sense to increase his buyout. Really bad decision by Deb.

Pack1997
    Participant

Right you are, not as good as Case, Sloan, or V. Oh wait, that was 30 years ago!! College basketball has changed so much since then it isnt a fair statement or comparison. This why you have to take recent future in to account, and the eye test. There aren’t a lot fo coaches who could do what Gott has done. I am not saying he is elite, but he is a good all around coach. He understand all aspects of coaching i.e. recruiting. scheduling etc. I remember the past coaching searches and no one really wanted to come here. I think we have have to consistently be going to the tourney and competitive within the league to change our perception. We are doing that but it still takes time. We spent 25 years being irrelevant in the sport. Gott has done a great job not only righting the ship but setting it up for future success. He deserves this contract, regardless if someone was coming after him or not.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Wolfpack92Owen, Maverick, et. al. HERE is what I KNOW and I have the Documents to back up my comments….

Scroll to the END if all this bores you…..there is a brief summary of what we OWE….

OK, not a lawyer, but did stay at Holiday Inn Express many times. I have archived the articles and the PDF’s as they come out….From my archived copy of GOTT’s ORIGINAL contract…it is a REAL PDF, so I am typing as the images don’t seem to work.

BASE – $750 K…..this is the KEY segment. We GUARANTEE that we will pay him his BASE….for the length of the control
    SUPPLEMENTAL. This is like a “Variable” portion….Originally it was $450,000…
    INCENTIVES. He has many….a BUNCH for Academics (Hint, like ORW, our Biscuit Boys HELP there). He also has MORE than a BUNCH for COMPETITIVE (PERFORMANCE)….playing in the Final ACC Tourney game, winning, going to the Sweet 16, etc. Karl Hess took away a BIG $$ amount when he screwed us in the Saturday game a year ago….

In the ORIGINAL contract there were limits of $250K for Academic and $750K for Competitive – Total of $1,000,000 BONUSES…

This is the 2012 EXTENSION….
    Gottfried’s annual salary remains at $750,000. His supplemental compensation was increased
    from $450,000 to $1.2 million, which moves him from ninth to third among the 12 ACC men’s
    basketball head coaches in annual guaranteed compensation. The term of his contract remains
    unchanged through April of 2018, after having been automatically extended two years by virtue
    of the Pack’s Sweet 16 appearance last March.

OK….ready the above carefully…..his BASE (READ AS BUYOUT) remains the same….but we almost TREBLED his Supplemental. I THINK that the performance amounts were the same….I tried finding that out….but it was tough…

TODAY…..
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article44756310.html#emlnl=Afternoon_Newsletter

Base….I THINK this is a TYPO….Don’t know WHY you would add $10K….
    Supplemental…..goes from $1,200K to $1,725K. THAT will be paid as long as he is COACHING. This is a 283% INCREASE (Original was $450). I THINK that there are now some small “ADDS” for each year….sort of like inflation.
    Incentive or Bonus…..this got kicked up…never could find the 2012 info….but it is NOW $1,500K….or an increase of 50% from the ORIGINAL.
    EXTENSION clauses….They are the SAME….if he goes to the Sweet 16 in the spring….he gets a 2 year extension…..exactly WHAT happened in 2011…

SUMMARY for the Executive Types that do NOT want details…..IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT….that GOTT and NCSU Divorce…..we owe him

>>X Years left on Contract TIMES $750K ($760?) or at the END of the 15-16 season….$3,000,000….
    >>Max Earnings in 2015-2016…..ALMOST $4,000,000
    >>>>>>>Base ==== $750K
    >>>>>>>Supplemental ==== $1,725K
    >>>>>>>Incentive or Bonus ===== $1,500K

Word on the street was that Elizabeth is now shopping for some really upscale clothes and bling….SHE is probably happier about this than he is…..(JOKE)

Tau837
    Participant

I have to agree that bringing Case and Sloan into a comparison with today is invalid. Apples and oranges.

Valvano was clearly better than Gott; he had all of the positives Gott has but was also much better at coaching the game.

IMO Gott is clearly better than Lowe, Robinson, and Sendek. Yes, Lowe and Robinson established a low bar. But these are the coaches we have had in our recent basketball history, and Gott is clearly better.

Sadly, we will probably never have another coach as good as V leading our program. Will we ever have one better than Gott? Maybe, but it is no given. Just look at our track record in trying to attract strong head coaching candidates in our past few searches.

Of course I want more success as a fan, but I am very happy with Gott.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

This might piss some of you off…

I’ve been watching Wolfpack basketball for about 50 years…

As far as “coaching” goes…

I’d take Sloan … in his prime over Valvano … in his prime…
    every day…

To be true… for press conferences… I’d have to go the other way…

I knew both of them.

As for the rest, except Gott… nice guys, but they don’t belong in this conversation…

As for Gott… I’m thinking he’s still 3-5 years away from his “prime”…
    but damn… he’s a long way from Bama as we speak and headed in the right direction….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Packzingo
    Participant

I’ll second that regarding the coach comparisons BOtheBeach……… Sloan was awesome, just most kids today couldn’t tell you who he is or the history at NC State.

Valvano was a good coach with exceptional skills of motivation. He could get an average player to believe he was M Jordan!

Adventuroo
    Participant

This forum has morphed a bit….and it is interesting.

Being a 1968 Grad of the Fine and Upstanding U (NCSU), I too, remember a LOT of the history….from Case to Maravich to Sloan to Jimmy V ….et. al.

Have to agree that Sloan was a heck of a coach….his 32 ACC win streak is STILL intact. BUT, he also had some TALENT. David Thompson with Burleson and some other great talent…..

THAT is why he went 32 straight.

Jimmy V….best bench and overall “we will WIN” coach that we ever had….ever will have….perhaps someone that will NEVER be matched. V’s ability to sell (cajole, flim flam, mesmerize, whatever) his magic puts him in a league all his own. I don’t truthfully know if there was EVER a coach that can do what Jimmy V did.

If you sit down in an intimate environment and listen to Jimmy V’s former players, particularly Lowe and Whitt, they describe him as Professor Harold Hill in warm-up’s with a whistle. They say, and other Jimmy V players also jump in with tales, that he could get them to believe that they could fly….he just KNEW how to motivate and how to get players to overachieve.

A LOT of coaches can fire up their players…..I think that Coach Doeren does that. He gets them hyped up. Jimmy V did that…but he was also the best “Game” coach that we have ever had. V said that he learned the skill in his JV coaching days when you had NO scouting….he had to “Adjust”. V was also the anti-thesis of an X&O coach….his practices were “casual and unstructured”….to say the least. Shaka Smart seems to be able to connect with his players, but he does NOT have the BB IQ and able to adapt like V did.

GOTT runs his practices with the precision of a NASA moon shot. Every single drill is timed and there is NO room for dawdling…that was the Wooden way….and it worked…and Gott has been successful. Gott’s team does seem to enjoy themselves….which is obviously good. BUT, he is NOT V…..

I don’t need to discuss the coaches from V to Gott…..we felt that Les was one of us….and he tried. HWWNBSOHA was a brilliant (IQ) individual….and he would have done well coaching Jimmy V’s John Hopkins Brain Surgeon team. Lowe tried….he was one of US….he was part of the V Magic….but he could not duplicate V’s style. Interestingly….his best season was his first and he almost got us the 2007 ACC Title….had we not played ONE more game than UNC. We just died….it was NOT that we were outcoached. It was NOT that the team did NOT play. They were literally TIRED….very TIRED…..and the UNC team was one game fresher than we were.

OK…that is MY OPINION….and Gott and Cal and Mikey and ORW do NOT call me for BB advice or for my BB IQ….but as a good judge of how folks “DO” things and their techniques and how they handle situations….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.