Maddux, Glavine, Thomas 2014 Hall of Fame

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports Maddux, Glavine, Thomas 2014 Hall of Fame

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    LRM
    Keymaster

Not surprising, Maddux, Glavine and Frank Thomas all first-ballot HOFers. Between 1991-98, Maddux and Glavine combined for 6 of 8 Cy Young awards.

ESPN:

Eighth on the wins list with a 355-227 record and a 3.16 ERA over 23 seasons, Maddux won four consecutive Cy Young Awards from 1992-95 and a record 18 Gold Gloves with the Chicago Cubs, Atlanta, the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego. An eight-time All-Star, he won at least 13 games in 20 straight seasons.

Among pitchers with 3,000 innings whose careers began in 1921 or later – after the Dead Ball Era – Maddux’s 1.80 walks per nine innings is second only to Robin Roberts’ 1.73, according to STATS.

Glavine, — Maddux’s longtime teammate with the Braves — was a 10-time All-Star, a two-time Cy Young winner and compiled 305-203 record over 22 seasons. At the induction ceremony in Cooperstown on July 27, Maddux and Glavine join their former manager Bobby Cox, elected last month by the expansion-era committee along with Joe Torre and Tony La Russa.

In honor of Maddux and Glavine, their Chicks Dig the Longball” commercial: youtube.

LRM
    Keymaster

Glavine’s finest moment was his 8 shutout IPs in the deciding Game 6 of the 1995 World Series.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I grew up in BFE (we had three TV channels – this was before satellite dishes started popping up in rural America) and the only baseball I got to see was playoff baseball; for that reason I’m a lifelong Mets fan. All my friends lived in town and had cable and TBS so they were all Braves fans before the great teams of the 90s. I hated Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Larry, etc.

Tony Kornheiser had Tim Kurkjian on his radio show yesterday to talk about Maddux and Glavine and Kurkjin had a great line about how smart of a pitcher Maddux was: “…if you ever saw Greg Maddux with his shirt off, and I did, you would never imagine that he was an athlete let alone one of the top six pitchers of all time…”

Wolfanatic
    Participant

All three are deserving of the distinction. Unfortunately, Craig Biggio missed out by two votes. Biggio is a member of the 3000 Hit Club. The club has 28 members of which 24 are in the Hall of Fame. Pete Rose is not in due to his gambling, Raphael Palmeiro is not in due to his PEDs usage, and Derek Jeter is not in the Hall because he’s still active. That leaves Biggio as the only member of the club that is not in the Hall. Biggio was not a PEDs user, but lost out for the second year in a row. There were 36 players on this year’s ballot and many were deserving. Those filling out ballots can only vote for 10 players. With players such as Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Sosa and Palmeiro on the ballot and receiving votes, it’s a shame that players like Biggio, Bagwell, and Lee Smith lost votes to the PED users. Biggio’s 668 career doubles is the highest amount for a right handed batter. His 3060 hits should have gotten him in the Hall. Maybe next year.

LRM
    Keymaster

The voting is so subjective that there’s a variety of asinine reasons to snub a deserving player. The same folks who didn’t vote for Biggio are probably the same morons who argued Trout deserved MVP over Miggie because Trout’s WAR was higher.

Ken Gurnick admitted he didn’t vote for Maddux because he doesn’t vote for anyone who played during the PED era. Disregard the notion that Maddux ever sniffed a PED, based on Gurnick’s previous voting his logic is inconsistent at best.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Congrats to all involved !

But I really miss Skip, Ernie and Ted….

I had a chance to work with the Braves marketing department for a couple years…. back in the day…
    Suffice it to say…. there ain’t nothing like “Baseball”.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    LRM
    Keymaster

To this day, I can still imagine the voices of Ernie, Skip, Pete and Don on TBS broadcasts. You got to hear them all every game because they swapped radio/TV after the sixth inning each game.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Any voting member of the Baseball Writers Association that did not vote for Greg Maddux – Busy Guy, should be disenfranchised. 355 wins and 4 Cys?

Wufpacker
    Participant

What?? No Charlie Hustle??

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Indeed, Petey Boy was a hustler in more ways than one…….

Texpack
    Participant

Biggio’s near miss is just one more paper cut dipped in rubbing alcohol for Astros fans. They are the best fans in Houston and they are stuck with a AA talent level team that 65% of the city can’t even watch on TV because the owner thinks their TV rights should be worth more than the Super Bowl.

Bagwell will never get in the HOF because too many people suspect him as a PED user even though his name never came up in any investigations or reports.

As for the Braves inductees, the staff of Galvine, Maddux, and Smoltz somewhat made up for the staff of Bob Walk, Rick Camp, and Frank LaCorte that I suffered through. My second favorite live sports memory was seeing Hank Aaron’s 500th HR in person.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.