Mack Brown Update

Home Forums StateFans Football Mack Brown Update

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Pack78
    Participant

Saw an article recently that ol’ Mack felt no responsibility for the decline in UT football fortunes-wonder why Strong had to kick so many of Mack’s players off of the team-sounds like the same afletes (read: entitled thugs) that he recruited at that diploma mill up the road. He may be fooling the low-information types, but rival coaches know better:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2015/10/8/9483265/texas-longhorns-mack-brown-talent-entitlement-coaches

Wulfpack
    Participant

I am no fan of Brown and really don’t care about Texas, but something doesn’t smell right there. New AD coming in as well. Strong’s days could very well be numbered.

LRM
    Keymaster

Texas should be the best job in college football and they should have their choice of head coach. But somehow that job has become a loser.

I think it’s probably a case where way too many top donors are involved with the program — probably all promoting their own interests — and there’s no real unified leadership.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Strong has a bigger leash than some think. Although the ex-AD hired him, that AD managed to piss off a number of big boosters and staff in record time. Corporate type with not enough political acumen for Texas football. Strong has this year and next, and probably a fourth to get the ship right. They’d have to tank tremendously the next two years. There’s plenty of talent in Texas, but the rise of TT, A&M, Baylor, and border state programs haven’t helped. Throw in Houston’s hot start. SMU stinks but Morris may well get them turned around in a few years. Without him, Clemson is bound to fall. That offense doesn’t look nearly the same. If Morris turns SMU around, and Strong can’t get ship righted, Morris is the next Texas coach.

Texpack
    Participant

Texas fans know that Mack got lazy on the talent evaluation front. When they were at their peak anybody they offered would go up in the rankings. His biggest problem was screwing up the QB situation. He had a bullheaded commitment to whoever won the job in the spring. The back-ups all knew that and bolted. Schools like tOSU, OSU, TTU, OU all had seasons where they were able to go to their back-up and salvage their season. Mack never did that after Major Applewhite bailed him out for the Chris Simms debacle.

Tom Herman should get just as long a look as Chad Morris if the Horns decide to kick Strong to the curb. If they go 5-7 or worse, which their schedule almost dictates at this point he may not survive. This is especially tru if the Baylor and OU games go like the TCU game went. TT could add a fourth humiliation to the season and Mr. Strong might be unemployed.

It’s a huge jump from Louisville in a watered down Big East to Texas. Strong may well be in over his head. The history of major conference teams who hired coaches with a lot longer track record of success at smaller programs than what Strong had who failed is pretty long.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t think Strong survives another year, I really don’t.

If I’m hiring, the first guy I call is Utah’s Kyle Whittingham. What he has done there is amazing.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Agree with Wulfpack above. I think (barring a major turnaround) that this is Strong’s last season at Texas. The Longhorn fans will only tolerate so much losing, and it seems they’ve been pushed to the edge with Strong’s 7-11 record. He never was the popular hire and his “my way or the highway” style cost him quite a few players. According to coacheshotseat.com Strong is sitting in seat number five. I look for him to be out of the Power 5 ranks next year. Perhaps he could replace Willie Taggert at USF. Funny thing is, if he had stayed at Louisville another year he’d probably be head coach for the Gators now.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Long story short – Mack is still the biggest used car salesman/gash on the planet.

Probably keeping the ol’ teevee box muted tonight.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Huge emotional win for Texas.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

I guess Charlie must have read this thread and found motivation. He just got his biggest win yet knocking off #10 Oklahoma (-16.5) in the Red River Rivalry. That should cool his seat a bit.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Good for Charlie Strong. He didn’t forget how to coach overnight. Austin is a weird f-ing place, man.

Texpack
    Participant

Mrs Texpack enjoyed the game a lot.

LRM
    Keymaster

That game said as much about Bob Stoops at Oklahoma as it did about Charlie Strong at Texas.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.