LOUSY OFFICIATING

Home Forums StateFans Basketball LOUSY OFFICIATING

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

Time for the NCAA to get a clue! The coaches should start letting fly and then sue the NCAA if they get a fine. Class action for crappy officiating!

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-29/ncaa-tournament-2014-wisconsin-vs-arizona-officials-badgers-no-consistency-calls

Smarter than the average bear

TheCOWDOG

Yogi…Whatta gonna do?

I’ve been called names on this site for the better part of its existance, for a perceived notion that I love officials.(Well just one guy,really)

That Uconn/MSU game was a badly called game. The Wisco/UA was,too. (ACC centric)

In the end…unless soneone has proof to gambling ties, it just doesn’t matter. There are 40 minutes in every ballgame to make it happen.

The coaching greats have always told their players to never leave the outcome of the game in the hands of the zeebs. Sometimes, it is.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

But Hess has not been spotted since last Thursday night’s game with Dayton …

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

What gets me is one moment it requires almost murder to get a foul called, then the next it’s a touch.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Again, I take the middle course here. I agree one doesn’t want to focus single-mindedly on it…but it’s important that paid professionals be held to more professional standards. It’s vital to the health of the game.

tjfoose1
    Participant

No excuse. If they missed a single FG, missed a single FT, missed a single blockout, or committed a single TO, they forfeit the right to complain or protest.

Coaches and fans just need to bend over and take it. It’s their own damn fault for not being perfect.

Only the officials are permitted to be unapologetically fallible. If they havec a horrendous game so bad Iit hints of corruption, it’s the fault of the offended for not doing enough to prepare and overcome.

I know so because Ive read it here numerous times.

Texpack
    Participant

The offensive foul on Meeeechegan today was so ridiculous, but the call against Arizona was one of the worst clutch calls I’ve ever seen. Wisconsin defender just plows into the guy on his drive to the basket and it’s an offensive foul.

I’m available to do a clinic on the block/charge. I absolutely understand the principles involved in the call better than the average ref I watched this weekend.

Wilbekan and the PG Harrison CONSISTENTLY lowered their shoulders while driving to initiate contact and they got a block called every time. If that was the correct call then the defender has no shot to offer up any defense. It just drives me nuts to see that level of incompetence in the regional finals.

Last complaint. The Final Four is in Arlington, Irving, or the DFW Metroplex. The North Texas BS is stupid.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The key quote: “The calendar turns to March, and officials forget they’re there to facilitate the game, not control it.”

And even sooner when it comes to KH.

Rick
    Keymaster

Bad officiating is ruining college basketball. How many games this weekend were decided by a controversial call? Way too many. The review was supposed to stop all these bad calls but it has not.

I do not get the “well that’s the way it is so live with it” mentality. I am not asking for mistake free reffing, I am just asking for consistent competent reffing.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

If you noticed… a method to the madness…

First Half… Let the kids get warmed up good and get comfortable with the flow of the game.
    Call only minimum number of fouls, and no more than 2 on any one player.

Second Half…
    First Eight minutes… Call as many fouls as you did in the entire first half. Let the kids know you’re on the floor and this is going to be a closely called game.

Last Five Minutes… If it’s a close game… discuss every close play among yourselves, review everything you can… and just hope for the best. In the event you get one wrong that cannot be corrected… just yell “Play On Gentlemen — this is your game, not ours…”

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

2014 ncaa officiating instructions, part 2…

Now with Coaches… that’s a different matter…

First Half — We have been taking a lot of BS at headquarters for letting coaches influence you guys so here’s our chance to show everybody there’s no truth in that BS… Give the offending Coach one warning and ask him to sit down. If he doesn’t, next time he opens his mouth to you or comes out of the coaching box with both feet , give him a quick T.

Second Half — Unless the Coach or someone on the bench uses one of the secret code words or threatens you with bodily harm — Do not give Coaches or Bench Technicals in the second half.

NCAA Staff… make sure everybody gets this memo… so there’s no confusion…

SaccoV
    Participant

Notice the crew working the AZ-WIS game? Tony Greene, Brian Dorsey, and Mike Eades. This league’s ‘best’ officiating crew had perhaps its most inconsistent game of the year. And folks wonder why our league is so mediocre. Texpack nailed it on Wilbekin (who we should name Vanilla Ice 2). If I could use my off hand to keep a guy from getting to my shot, I’d be able to do wonders on the basketball court. Block/charge is terrible from one crew to the next. I counted four instances throughout the game where the crew for AZ-WIS missed easy out-of-bounds calls which review showed to be incorrect. In three of those cases, the official was either completely blocked or out of position to make the call. Baffling. I wonder sometimes how any coach in our league ever makes it through a game without getting tossed.

ncsu1987
    Participant

After this past weekend’s games, my view on this has solidified. As I see it, there are two possibilities:

1) I have no idea what constitutes a charge vs. a block vs. a no-call; or
    2) The NCAA officials have no idea of the same

My best first-approximation says that it is likely both.

I’m 50 years old, and I’ve been watching basketball religiously for about 42 of them. We’ve almost reached the point where, for me, it’s truly unwatchable. Not sure why (other than blind loyalty) I keep coming back.

A strong symptom of this is the fact that once NCSU was bounced from the tourney, I rapidly lost interest. Ten years ago, that would have been unthinkable. But it’s a trend that gets worse every year. I can tell myself that it’s my age, it’s my busy schedule, it’s this and it’s that. But I have a strong suspicion that this thread hits closer to the mark.

Unpredictable and utterly inconsistent officiating is killing my favorite sport in the world.

I’d be interested to know if there’s even one person on this thread who believes that they understand the details and who also believes that officials are consistently interpreting a sane rule book?

Mike
    Participant

Officiating is difficult with the size and speed of the players – I get that. Maintaining consistency should not be difficult. If it is not a foul in the 1st half, it should not be a foul in the 2nd.

I cant stand the new charge/block rule – if an offensive player is out of control and goes barreling into the lane or a defender, initiates contact, the foul should not be on the defense. Either a charge or a no-call. I noticed how other teams seemed to do that against us and more often than not a foul on us. If we did that same move, the no-call was the norm.

The moving/illegal screen is ridiculous. It is a RULE, call it. The player cannot move into the screen, nor move while in the screen. So often you see the sliding hip check through the screen. Call it. Would slow the first few games to a crawl but soon coaches and players will learn it will be called. After 2 weeks a non-issue.

Finally, wrestling is ruining the game. I quit watching the NBA years ago because it was nothing but a wrestling match. The college game has become the same, but for some reason still watching. Once again, clean up the wrestling and we will have a better game. Will be brutal at first but once again, after about 2 weeks it will change. Dont tell me the talent level is such that the physical nature of the game has taken over. Olajuwon, Ewing, Sampson, Mullin, Bird, Duncan, Robinson, Johnson – the list could go on – the players today are not that much different than the legends. Watch the 83 finals again – where has that game gone?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… and among other things…

Is there still a 3 second rule for guys standing in the paint… ??

ncsu1987
    Participant

^ OMG, this!

wilmwolf80
    Participant

Notice the crew working the AZ-WIS game? Tony Greene, Brian Dorsey, and Mike Eades. This league’s ‘best’ officiating crew had perhaps its most inconsistent game of the year. And folks wonder why our league is so mediocre. Texpack nailed it on Wilbekin (who we should name Vanilla Ice 2). If I could use my off hand to keep a guy from getting to my shot, I’d be able to do wonders on the basketball court. Block/charge is terrible from one crew to the next. I counted four instances throughout the game where the crew for AZ-WIS missed easy out-of-bounds calls which review showed to be incorrect. In three of those cases, the official was either completely blocked or out of position to make the call. Baffling. I wonder sometimes how any coach in our league ever makes it through a game without getting tossed.

This x1000. I had this game on while I was doing some things around the house, was listening more than watching, and I knew that it had to be an “ACC” crew based on how the game was being called. They followed the script to a “T”. I had no rooting interest in the game, my bracket was busted long ago, so I don’t think it was rose colored glasses. I’m pretty consistent in my complaining about officiating, particularly in league play, whether we win or lose. Lack of consistency from end to end, ruining of the flow of the game are hallmarks of “ACC” officiating.

And while I’m complaining, let’s talk about the myth of playing “tough” defense. I roll my eyes every time I hear an announcer talking about a team really “clamping down” on the defensive end. Let’s face it, what that means is that refs are letting them get away with playing more physical. Everything else being equal, the physical attributes of the players and the schemes within which they are playing, the offensive player has the advantage based on how the rules are written. The block/charge call. The mythical “principle of verticality”. They all benefit the player with the ball. So when Duke or some other team starts playing their “scrappy”, “tough” defense, it really means that the officials are changing how they call the game. It happens when teams are coming from behind like in our game with St.Louis, the refs just let them get away with manhandling the offensive players.

To me, if it was a foul on one end, it is a foul on the other. If it was a foul in the first half, then it’s a foul with ten seconds left in the game. I think that’s all anyone is asking for when it comes to officiating, just be consistent.

YogiNC
    Participant

I say the coaches need to start whacking poor reffing in the post game and refuse to pay the fines. AND sue if the NCAA cannot PROVE what they say in the news conference is true.

TheCOWDOG

Just for the fun of it…here’s some final ACC tallys for a couple of faves.

Luckie
    NCSU 22.0
    UMd 21.7
    Duke 20.5

Hull
    NCSU 20.6
    UNC 20.0
    BC 19.0

* Luckie had no stats for UNC, same as Hull for Duke

Again, no one can put a whistle to a particular guy, but either way, I don’t find the FPG out of line.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… Either way… 20 fouls per game is FIVE MORE than what it needs to be…

To put that another way… if we had averaged 15 fouls a game for the season…
    We probably would have won FIVE more games… regardless of who was officiating…

or…

20 fouls a game is one every two minutes…
    let’s just foul at the rate of 2 every 3 minutes… and watch what happens to the scoreboard…

TheCOWDOG

^
    You know what I mean…

Hell, I don’t have the time nor want to compare other conferences, and the likes, to only discover that they all run at about a tweet/min.

Already know that.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

:>}

I’m just saying “We fouled too much… this past season…”
    Nothing more… nothing less..

wilmwolf80
    Participant

It is virtually impossible to quantify bad officiating using statistics. I rarely complain about the total number of fouls, but rather: on whom is the foul called, what type of foul is it, and at what point in the game. I’ve seen refs “even up” the total foul count too many times to think that they aren’t fully aware of the foul count. Luckie and Hess are bad officials, I don’t care what their statistics are.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

And, while one foul per game may be statistically irrelevant, but what if that one foul was a questionable call that resulted in the fourth or fifth foul on your best player. This scenario played out three times this year with Luckie as the ref making that call. I can’t ignore that pattern.

TheCOWDOG

There are no flames to fan and I’m not picking on ya Wilmwolf, but I watched Hull pull the final trigger in 2 games that I think are being referenced.

All good…let’s see what we get Saturday.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.