Louisville to Self-Impose Post Season Ban

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Louisville to Self-Impose Post Season Ban

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

In a stunning development, the University of Louisville will announce Friday that it is self-imposing a postseason ban for the upcoming NCAA basketball tournament as a result of alleged rules violations committed by a former staffer and players…

…It also will not participate in the ACC tournament.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/louisville-self-imposes-postseason-ban-for-alleged-violations-related-to-prostitution-scandal-050350278-ncaab.html

MrPlywood
    Participant

As I posted in the other thread, your move Cheaters.

Rick
    Keymaster

So hookers equals a post season ban but decades of fake classes to keep players eligible is nothing?

The NCAA is a joke.

UL should have just denied denied denied

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Unlike some other “self-imposed” bans, which are somehow a university’s attempt to make their initial wrongdoing into some sort of altruistic move, this specific postseason ban has very direct and specific victims of the destruction left in the wake of the school’s decision.

The Cardinals feature two incredible talents in Damion Lee and Trey Lewis. Both are players who transferred to Louisville for the sole reason to compete in the NCAA Tournament. Without either guy, Louisville would have been returning zero double-digit scorers, as their leading returning bucket-maker averaged a whopping four points per game last season.

Their reward? No postseason play.

http://www.todaysu.com/acc-today/louisville-cardinals/nardone-louisville-highlights-another-example-abuse-collegiate-level/

TheCOWDOG

That’s more cruel than the moronic parents that LET their kids sign with Unx.

ncsu1987
    Participant

^Glad I’m not the only one scratching the noggin over that. Why do these parents continue to LET their kids sign? Or worse, PUSH their kids to sign at Unx? For a certain fraction of the parents, it’s the impact of the morally bankrupt coaches and administrators pushing the PR message that nothing is going to happen – my contempt for Roy and Fedora is now boundless. But the larger percentage of parents should know better – and yet the pipeline continues. I don’t deny that the scandal has had some impact, but it’s still astonishing to me that ANYBODY will sign with them right now – I think the hammer of God is coming, and I’m not sure why they wouldn’t see that…

In my research for past articles, it always appeared to me that self-imposed sanctions were either (1) a way for the school to admit wrongdoing and hope to soften the eventual blow; or (2) the result of negotiations with the NCAA which the NCAA allows the school to announce. The fact that we’ve seen essentially nothing from UNx in terms of self-imposition really whets my appetite.

I firmly believe that major sanctions are coming, that they all know it, and they’re doing everything they can to stash away talent and money that will enable them to weather the coming nuclear winter. Look for wailing and gnashing of teeth when the announcements are made. UNx, in the person of coaches and administrators, will collude with their journalistic friends to decry the unfairness of it all, while giggling quietly to themselves in private, hunkering down with their ill-gotten gains. The NCAA MUST allow immediate transfer for any revenue athlete without the one year waiting period. If they do not, they will reward this reprehensible strategy.

I applaud Louisville for their proactive strategy, and I hope it works well for them. Va’s point is huge: they are paying a big price. The contrast is nearly blinding.

MrPlywood
    Participant

UNx, in the person of coaches and administrators, will collude with their journalistic friends to decry the unfairness of it all

And on cue, the fans will say “it’s not fair to the kids there now”. Or “anyone involved is gone now.” Are these people that obtuse or do they really not get that it’s the <i>program</i> that is getting punished. I’d love to see unx get hammered and then some class action lawsuits from the recent recruits who were lied to.

TheCOWDOG

Well put ’87. We can’t fathom, as reasonable folks…why on earth would you put your kid in harm’s way.

ncsu1987
    Participant

I’d love to see unx get hammered and then some class action lawsuits from the recent recruits who were lied to.

That would definitely be the icing on the cake, but I’ll settle for all the talent transferring out. I really want to see how HOF Coach Roy handles an entire team of “blue steel” players. Alas, I am destined for disappointment; one way or another, the current team will be Roy’s last.

Wulfpack
    Participant

This is just the beginning for Louisville. You don’t do this if it isn’t really freaking bad.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I don’t know what you guys are talking about with UNC having no self-imposed ban. I’ve heard that Roy Williams is taking his post-game beverage in an imitation crystal drinking glass instead of real crystal. How much more can a person take? Oh, the humanity.

RaisedByWolves
    Participant

Two thoughts:
    1) SMH at Swofford quote: “…removing themselves from any men’s basketball postseason opportunities is both proactive and significant…We fully support their decision.” (Yeah, I bet you do – makes the light blue path forward a little easier in March.) The hypocrisy is stunning.
    2) One need look no further than the state of the UNC women’s basketball program to see what the consequences of a pending NCAA NOA *should* be on a program. They’ve gone from being a powerhouse to being 2-7 in the league so far this year. In a just world, we would be seeing a similar pattern with men’s basketball and football. And yet I read in today’s N&O that Fedora says the cloud has lifted.

choppack1
    Participant

I am looking at this one of two ways:

1. Louisville meant by that was saying when it said it would take fast and decisive action and the academics are clearly in control at the school.

2. They did something really really bad and they are throwing out this small sacrificial lamb in an effort to mitigate the punishment.

Certainly no school has either forgiven or targeted coaches with significant moral shortcomings then Louisville. ( it should be noted that while gottfried had his own issues at Alabama at least it was a couple of years for his termination at Alabama and him being hired at NC State this is a striking contrast to Bobby Petrino or the total pass given to Rick Pitino by the school.

As for the “what about the kids” argument as in most cases it ignores the reality of the situation. Innocent individuals are more often than not damaged when wrongdoing occurs. If the owner of a successful restaurant gets in trouble for laundering money and has to close down the restaurant because of that trouble his employees still don’t have a job. Likewise if an individual is dealing drugs and his children have no knowledge of that or no involvement of that and he is sent to prison, his children pay a price.

Funny how the dolts at ESPN don’t get that.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Funny how the dolts at ESPN don’t get that.

The other concept that the dolts don’t get is vacating wins. I read “everyone knows who won” and “you can’t erase history”, etc. It doesn’t matter to them if the players where ineligible, if there were recruiting violations to get them to the school in the first place. Fingers crossed (but not holding my breath) that at least one banner comes down.

Texpack
    Participant

I noticed the UNC-CHeat talking points being pushed by everyone over the weekend with the “these kids didn’t do anything wrong.”

Life isn’t fair folks. Some kids have had to compete against players that didn’t have to go to class. Some kids had to compete against players whose parents got six figure jobs and free air fare so they could fly around the country to watch them play. Some kids had to play against players who were being paid with free rental Escalades and excess Adderall to sell for $$. Some coaches worked hard to encourage their kids to get an education while others cashed APR bonus checks for GPA’s earned by MIA’s.

Our little cheater buddies at OC Tech are going to get a multi-year ban in multiple sports and anybody in the media who cries about kids being punished who aren’t guilty of any infractions the needs to call out Roy and Fedora for lying to these kids about the probation that everyone else in the country could see coming for years

choppack1
    Participant

The one thing that is unique about the Louisville incident is that it came up after fall enrolment and they were punished in the same season. I think Louisville’s leadership understands the longer it goes on, the more it impacts recruiting.

I heard Bilas and Mike and Mike blabbering on about this again. The post season bans and scholarship reductions are really the only tools the NCAA has to punish the programs.

Rick
    Keymaster

Coaches with questionable moral compasses make questionable decisions. Pitino is an excellent example of this.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I don’t know what you guys are talking about. unx has taken measures to make sure that nothing like this ever happens again. Which is interesting when you consider that according to many over there, nothing happened in the first place. Presenting the unx Chief Integrity Officer…

At UNC-CH, too many chiefs, not enough integrity

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Coaches with questionable moral compasses make questionable decisions. Pitino is an excellent example of this.

Couple of points here. I think its funny that (mainly) TOS is hammering on how sleazy Pitino is but totally refusing to even acknowledge our ol ball coach has a pretty shady not too distant history as well.

To the point on Pitino, there is no way on Gods green Earth anyone could convince me that he didnt know what was going on. Thats juvenile and naive to even consider he was in the dark. Not knowing is probably 10x worse than actually knowing because that would show a clear cut lack of control within the program. No way he didnt know.

ncsu1987
    Participant

I noticed the UNC-CHeat talking points being pushed by everyone over the weekend with the “these kids didn’t do anything wrong.”

Life isn’t fair folks. Some kids have had to compete against players that didn’t have to go to class. Some kids had to compete against players whose parents got six figure jobs and free air fare so they could fly around the country to watch them play. Some kids had to play against players who were being paid with free rental Escalades and excess Adderall to sell for $$. Some coaches worked hard to encourage their kids to get an education while others cashed APR bonus checks for GPA’s earned by MIA’s.

Our little cheater buddies at OC Tech are going to get a multi-year ban in multiple sports and anybody in the media who cries about kids being punished who aren’t guilty of any infractions the needs to call out Roy and Fedora for lying to these kids about the probation that everyone else in the country could see coming for years

(^my emphasis, not OP)

Extremely well said. Once the NCAA verdict is handed down, the “this isn’t fair” card will be played so fast it’ll make our heads spin. We need to find a way to turn the card over so everyone can see the unspoken collateral damage on the other side – something the media blatherers will NOT do for us.

Texpack
    Participant

Charlie Strong A Perfect Fit at UL

Looks like UL had to hire Petrino just to maintain their coaching standards.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Oops. Posted on the wrong thread. I have nothing to add and I can’t delete it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.