Louisville Game Thoughts

Home Forums All StateFansNation Louisville Game Thoughts

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

1) Biggest home game THUS far in the Dave Doeren era, probably biggest home game for the Pack since we played Va Tech in 2010. This would easily be his biggest home win so far for lots of obvious reasons.

2) I fully expect the Carter to be rocking. (Evidently there’s a blackout so if you are going, bring something black I guess. The school does a great job publicizing these things don’t they.)

3) Defensively, we need to keep Jackson in the pocket and make him beat us with his arm. Watch the Clemson game for how our DL needs to stay in assigned lanes and not over pursue.

4) Keep our lb’s away from “the island”…happened 2 years ago vs Louisville and as late as last week.

5) Keep the streak alive. No turnovers in along time and Finley hasn’t thrown an interception all year (knocks on wood.)

6) Keep running the ball. Last 2 games have been won on the ground.

7) Kicking game- after a great start and solid FSU game, we relapsed a bit after a great start vs Syracuse.

tractor57
    Participant

So was the game against FSU. In the end just win, baby.

choppack1
    Participant

Yes…but one big game begets more big games.

To me, this is similar to the Thursday night game at Clemson in 2002. You lose that game and you fall back into the soup of middle-tier bowl games. Win it and you are part of a national conversation. It doesn’t mean you stay in that conversation, it just means that you’re noticed nationally after the first 1/4 of the season…which isn’t exactly par for the course with us.

Greywolf
    Participant

This is close to mid-season. Being at #24 is part of the national conversation. The measure of this team is coming up tomorrow night.

Chop’s got it right about our DL staying in lanes. We don’t need to get out of position trying to get sacks or keep pressure on. as chop says make LJ beat us with his arm, not his legs.

I’m ignorant about what “4) Keep our lb’s away from “the island” means. I’m also not one to coach “don’t” as in “don’t pitch him high” is an invite for the pitcher to throw high. Coach our LBs where to be, not keep away from “the island” whatever the “island” is. It’s better IMO to make a mistake going full blast than to be trying to stay away from something or situation.

As far as running the ball, yes but mix it up. Balance by our offense keeps the defense off balance.

To me this is a can’t lose situation. We aren’t expected to beat the Heisman QB. L’ville is favored. If we win, and I’m clueless as to if we will or not, our stock goes up along with our team confidence. If we lose, as long as we play half way decent, it’s not going to damage us psychologically.

This is a mentally tough Wolfpack. Win, lose or draw the possibility of a good season is in front of us.

choppack1
    Participant

Grey – basically it means don’t leave an lb one on one without safety help in pass coverage. That happened 2 years ago and you can bet Petrino will try to do it again.

Greywolf
    Participant

Thanks.

I get the feeling that it’s a little more to it than that. We have plays that isolate LBs on certain receivers. For example we got McKever open in the Belk Bowl. (I believe we badly under utilized Pharaoh both offensively and defensively. That kid had almost 20 INTs in HS. Maybe he wasn’t our best option as a WR or DE but in some circumstances he could have been a real asset in several positions defensively.

Back to the subject — for sure we don’t want a LB covering a WR deep with or without help. We just about have to use them to backs coming out of the back field.

Again off he subject but I’d like to see our folks using Boone like Green Bay is using Josh Jones.

Tomorrow night is going to be interesting to see how we defense LJ. I’ll be there so I won’t really see it until Friday on YouTube.

YogiNC
    Participant

Clemson gave us the game plan, we just have to make it happen. LJ is beatable, and from my perspective our D is much better than UNX and they held him in check for most of the first half. If we can accomplish that we may get a lead and that would be huge. Every time da ville lost last year it was when they fell behind and scrambled to recover. We need the lead and we need it quickly. That will be the difference IMO. And crush LJ if you get the chance. A mean sack or two could be a game changer.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

fwiw… I’m not “thinking”… just “feeling”…

Come on PACK, Let’s DO This!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

1) don’t turn the ball over

2) keep their QB in the pocket

3) don’t lose the kicking game

4) run the ball

Just win baby and some of you need to back off the koolaid.

McCallum

Gowolves
    Participant

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is clock control. The best way to keep LJ in check is to keep him on the sidelines. The offense has to sustain drive. Keep the chains moving with the run and short passing game. This offense is so like the west coast offense that it dinks and dunks down the field. When the Pack has done that this year it’s been hugely successful. Limit LJ’s touches. That also means no turnovers.

McCallum
    Participant

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is clock control.

See number 4)

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

Well apparently our pr department is showing why they should be paid in pesos. They’ve given an incredibly weak response on the blackout question that only confuses message further ….but absolutely yells “we are clueless.”

PackofMac
    Participant

fwiw… I’m not “thinking”… just “feeling”…

Come on PACK, Let’s DO This!!!

I don’t alway agree with you, I respect you and by God, no one here will say it better.

Thursday night game at Carter, we’re ranked vs another ranked ACC team, it will be electric, I feel it..

PackofMac
    Participant

Well apparently our pr department is showing why they should be paid in pesos. They’ve given an incredibly weak response on the blackout question that only confuses message further ….but absolutely yells “we are clueless.”

The damn team is wearing black, again, it’s called “Black Howl”, if yo have something black wear it. Yes, our PR Dept. is clueless….just wear black

McCallum
    Participant

Louisville by at least 20.

State flubs the 1st half, down by 21 at half. Nice 3rd quarter and narrows it to 13 points. Late pick by Louisville seals the deal, 41-20.

All the stars are lining up with “hope” abounding and reports of NC State stupidity and cheapness gaining strength.

Carry on.

McCallum

Texpack
    Participant

I was at the UH/Louisville game last November and DL pressure up the middle just destroyed Jackson. We have a better DL overall than the one UH had last season, but the LB’s probably aren’t quite as good. Containing the UL offense is not out of the question.

What we really need tonight is TD’s in the red zone. It will likely take 35 points or more to win. Hopefully I’ll be digesting an Astros win by the time our game kicks off and have a shot at the Thursday Night Double.

Go Pack! Go Astros!

PackerInRussia
    Participant

They must have been told there was a blackout for the game. So they ceased posting any information

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I thought by now Petrino would be sidelined due to sneakergate and we’d be facing some assistant. I guess its better to dance with the devil you know then one you don’t. Go pack, play aggressive and keep this thing going.

ryebread
    Participant

I thought by now Petrino would be sidelined due to sneakergate and we’d be facing some assistant.

Help me understand how the basketball scandal would get the football coach sacked in this short a period of time?

1) don’t turn the ball over

2) keep their QB in the pocket

3) don’t lose the kicking game

4) run the ball

I think that has to be the game plan.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

choppack1 wrote:

They must have been told there was a blackout for the game. So they ceased posting any information

When did we get a PR dept or better when did we ever need a PR dept???

It’s a football game — you’ll play 11 or 12 a season… just WIN and PR is unnecessary….

tractor57
    Participant

Rye in other words play football. If the Pack does those chances are great for a win. If not chances for a win are greatly diminished.

YogiNC
    Participant

luke laloosh: “I’m just here to help the team”. “you win some, you lose some, and some days you get rained out”.

Well we didn’t get rained out last year in spite of a hurricane, Watched the last of that sucker on generator power. Here’s to not being on a generator tonight. I’m hoping the Carter is a rockin’ and somebody on defense crumples that QB just like the ND QB got crumpled in the 2003 Gator Bowl. Now THAT would be FUN!

Smarter than the average bear

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Chop is right about keeping our LBs off the island, imo. Syracuse got Germaine Pratt out there on the island for a big play on the wheel route last week. Can’t let Jackson run wild. We got this..Big game for JaySam and Finley. Time for the secondary to step up and for the entire defense to tackle, tackle and tackle some more.

rthomas44
    Participant

State by six. Just my opinion and gooooood vibes.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Full moon tonight in SouthEastern NC
    … damn good vibes….

Let’s KICK SOME A## !!!

POP!!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.